PDA

View Full Version : 350X running like crap when wet! HELP!

lumpy
02-22-2005, 05:35 PM
Hey all, new to the boards and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem. Every time I ride as soon as cross a creek (or big puddle for that matter) my engine starts to break up and usualy dies out by the time I get to the other side. I take it slow through the water and never go in anything more than just over the tires deep but it happens every time! It is really starting to piss me off! At first I thought I was sucking water in my air box but I made sure it is dry as a bone so that is not it. My buddy (die hard two stroker) just says "Thats what oil cooled four strokes do, the rapid cooling of the engine causes them to bog". I could somewhat agree but after it happens it take me at least ten minutes of furious kicking to get it to restart and then it will only run for about 50 yrds. spitting and sputtering and then die out again. After a sufficient dry out time it seems to run fine. I don't get it! Have any of you guys experienced this and where should I be looking. I am tired of spending my days kicking and cussing and not riding. Help please!
STEVE

seadoo650
02-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Hey Steve. I have a 85 350x and have never had a problem going through water. It sounds like an electrical problem maybe. I'd go through and visually check connections. Howdy has a 350x I'm sure if he's heard of the problem he'll chime in. Good luck.

350x'inNY
02-22-2005, 05:43 PM
First of all, :welcome: to the boards here.....

Hmmmm... I have 2 350X's and have never had that problem. If I were you, I'd look in front of your front sprocket and see if the stator cover is cracked from a previous chain breakage. Else maybe your iginition wire/coil has a leak. Try spraying them with silicon spray, as this will help hinder moisture.

But if you say that even small amounts of water and not splashing up on the coil area, I'd think it'd have to be around your stator.

Bruce

twgranger
02-22-2005, 05:56 PM
My Z use to do spit and sputter when it got wet because the spark plug cap was bad.

lumpy
02-22-2005, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the quick response guys! I checked the stator cover and it looks good. I do remember though when I had the motor out to rebuild a couple of months ago the spark plug cap and a wire got pulled apart ( over zealous friend). I think he just shoved it back on. I will go out and snip the end and make sure I get it screwed up in there good and see what happens. I will get a chance to get out this weekend and I will let you all know what I find out. Thanks again!

short4stuff
02-22-2005, 06:12 PM
do you have a hose? .. or atleast a spray bottle .. or even a pop bottle with water? ...

start getting water on stuff and see when the engine breaks up.. whereever it does thats where your wiring problem is...

TimSr
02-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Start it up, and then spray some water directly on the spark plug boot, and it will instantly tell you if thats the problem, which it most likey is. A new plug boot runs about $3.

hrc200x
02-22-2005, 06:50 PM
My 350 does this also, although I was lucky enough it started in about 15 kicks instead of 10 minutes. I'm guessing its somthing electrical getting wet also. Maybe its the plugins from the stator which are located under a rubber boot by the carb on the sprocket side, or the CDI unit infront of the air box.

There is a water drain on the flywheel cover. The owners manual says if you ride through water deeper than 12 inches water will enter the left side cover through the breather tube. The drain bolt looks like its the one almost right behind the shifter, maybe a little up and forward.

lumpy
02-26-2005, 04:51 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback guys! I am going to get a little shop/riding time tomorrow (I have an 18 mo. old who absorbs most of my time!) so I will give it all a try and let you know what I find out. Back at ya soon!
Steve

wheeliman
03-07-2005, 01:09 AM
yah MY 350 use to do that when I was in snow or water I do a lot os snow riding up here in north idaho. O did not have a lid for my air box so i thought I was sucking water or snow but when i got a box lid it still did it but not as bad.
I endid up finding a leek after the air filter right befor the carb. a small slit or crack in the sleeve. It is amazing how little water or even mosture a moter needs to start running bad. You should check all your intake piping for leeks.

a

lumpy
03-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Finally had a chance to get out and ride this weekend. Sure enough it is still doing it. I limped it back home and I decided to do the test where I let it idle then start spraying all things electircal w/ water. I sprayed the CDI box, nothing, the stator cover, nothing, the wiring coming out of the stator cover, nothing, the coil, nothing....then I sprayed the spark plug boot and it died instantly! I am assuming this is where my problem is, so I am going to order a new boot ASAP. I will keep you all posted.
Steve

hrc85250r
03-07-2005, 09:41 PM
you can probly just go to the auto parts and get an ngk plug cap, they come with a boot....just bring yours down with you so they can match up the angle...

grundlegrabber
03-07-2005, 11:59 PM
Snip the very end off the coil wire so you have a fresh wire end to start with Just the very end, don't cut it too short). Put a new plug cap on it, and get some dielectric grease (available at any auto parts store), and put some of the grease on the end of the wire before you pout the cap on it, and inside the plug cap trailprotrailpro you snap it onto the plug. This will help keep the water from interrupting the connection if it gets in.