PDA

View Full Version : Extended Axle Options for Tri-Z

Jeb
02-22-2005, 02:49 PM
What are some of you guys using for extended axle on the Tri-Z? Let me know what axle I can buy new that will work.

Thanks!

asc180
02-22-2005, 02:59 PM
I just bought a lonestar for a Banshee. Plan on putting it in this weekend.

Derrick Adams
02-22-2005, 05:21 PM
I've been really considering the Durablue X-33 set-up for mine.

Billy Golightly
02-22-2005, 06:00 PM
I'm running a Durablue +4 YFZ450 one in mine. Had to change the axle bearings to YFZ ones (Bearing OD is the same, ID is larger), Had to use the YFZ sprocket hub and modify it sligtly in the lathe for carrier tolerences, I used the Tri-Z brake disc and hub but they had to be modded in the lathe also. Huge difference in handling. Oh yeah, gotta use a YFZ sprocket too cause they are a different bolt pattern then the Z.

TimSr
02-22-2005, 06:51 PM
If you are usisng stock rims, they have no offset. Go to any aftermarket rim with a standards offset and youll gain about 4".

Jeb
02-22-2005, 08:31 PM
Tim, my rims are offset????? Not sure how much but I believe them to be stock. I thought they were 3-5 offset. They are gold aluminum wheels with the centers cut out in the typical stock wheel fashion. I have wheel spacers on it now. I'd just like to go to a wider axle. I just wanted to see what axles people knew would work, whether it be Banshee or what have you. :)

TimSr
02-22-2005, 10:31 PM
Banshee axle is interchangeable.

The stock 85 rims are steel, and have no offset. Im not sure what they put on the 86.

bushwacker51
02-23-2005, 12:24 AM
The one post said you can run a banshee axle in a 85-86 tri-z. Is this a straight swap over, and what year banshee axle do you use?. Or do all year banshees interchange. Thanks in advance Glenn O.

asc180
02-23-2005, 07:53 AM
All banshee axles will work in the Z.

Jeb
02-23-2005, 10:09 AM
Banshee axle is interchangeable.

The stock 85 rims are steel, and have no offset. Im not sure what they put on the 86.

My 85 Tri-Z has 8x8 gold anodized aluminum rims. They've got to be stock rims. I took the OEM 22x11-8 Dunlop Tires off them and put Turf Tamers on. If they were 86 model, they would be 9" rear rims. I know the front rim is stock aluminum because I just took the OEM 25x8-12 Tire off.

Look at the pic below. Are those rear rims not stock? I know the front one isn't because it's off my 85 R. I've got my stock 12" front rim waiting for my 23x8-12 tire to come in from tires unlimited so I can put that stuff back on my 85 250R.

Anyway, regardless of the rims I use, thanks to all you guys for letting me know what axles will work. :beer

asc180
02-23-2005, 12:00 PM
Those are stock rims. How is the R rim working for you? Have you noticed a differance in handling? I have all the stuff to do it but the tire. I have those same wheel spacers in a box. They are heavy duty.

Jeb
02-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Those are stock rims. How is the R rim working for you? Have you noticed a differance in handling? I have all the stuff to do it but the tire. I have those same wheel spacers in a box. They are heavy duty.

I like the 23" front tire. I've had a few rides on the R set-up with no problems. I don't know if it's all in my head or not but my opinion on it is that it seems to slide a bit easier and turn a little better. The sidewall flex of the 85 stock 25" tire seemed to me to cause the front to push a little when turning. I know there's other factors involved but why not eliminate what you don't like. I also run the forks slid up in the clamps an extra inch. I've got a 23" 86 Z front tire on the way for my 12" rim. I figure it's worth the new tire. And I wan't to get the R stuff back on my R.