PDA

View Full Version : dial-a-jet...i have read the previous threads, now i have a Question

trikezilla
02-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Ok, I have looked at all of the posts I could find regarding the Dial-A-Jet. I was wondering what you think of them?? Have you ever had a problem with them?? If you leave an opinion, please stae whether or not you have one installed on your macine..IF YOU HAVE A 83R AND YOU ARE READING THIS AND HAVE A D.A.J. LEMME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.... :TrikesOwn :w00t:

smokey
02-21-2005, 04:55 PM
I had one for the 350X put it on and it leaked gas out the top so I sent it back for a refund. My thought is that you can spend 10$ and 1hour changing jets. Or 70$ and 10seconds. I think Dail_A_jet is a rip off but thats my oppinion.

Tri-Z Pilot
02-21-2005, 05:05 PM
Have one on my Z and it's awesome, I have only good things to say about it, and smokey has the only complaint I have seen so far.

twgranger
02-21-2005, 05:17 PM
Have one on my Z and it's awesome, I have only good things to say about it, and smokey has the only complaint I have seen so far.Same thing here!! I love it. I have never heard a complaint before. The only way gas can go out the top is is you don't lossen the screw before you change the settings because that will damage the internal parts to the dial-a-jet. I think it is well worth it.

trikezilla
02-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Ok...these are an easy install then right? From whom I have talked with, they make it sound easy and straight forward.....secondly: is it easy to get your motor tuned in with this thing???

edog
02-21-2005, 08:48 PM
I have one on my 225 dxn.it works realy well on 1 st 2nd 3rd gear.Yes they are very easy to put on.I probbily gained about 5% on gas mileage,%15 on horsepower.Here is a pic of it instaled.

Rex Karz
02-22-2005, 01:02 AM
If your stock setup is too rich it doesn't work. It can only add fuel.
I can understand that basic function of the dial-a jet. The problem I have with their marketing is all the mumbo-jumbo about the sound waves and the super-duper-emulsification crap. What is UP WITH THAT??

edog
02-22-2005, 08:32 AM
That is how it workes.To simplify it,it works under engine load.

trikezilla
02-22-2005, 09:18 PM
I ordered mine today from the local shop (Gotta give these guys props..they have always ordered parts for me no matter how insignificant w/ out complaining!!!) . Does any body have this on a 250r?? i noticed the DAJ kit is the same for all of the R's...i will let you guys know how it works out...and yes, lol i got the snorkel kit

hrc85250r
02-22-2005, 09:27 PM
you guys, its only for if you change elvation constantly...they suck, junk, stupid....jet your carb correctly and you will get maximum hp...and the amount of gas the d-a-j will add is determined by vaccuum in the venturi and how you adjust it, just so you know....

twgranger
02-22-2005, 10:16 PM
you guys, its only for if you change elvation constantly...they suck, junk, stupid....jet your carb correctly and you will get maximum hp...and the amount of gas the d-a-j will add is determined by vaccuum in the venturi and how you adjust it, just so you know....It is for more than just elevation! Have you actually used one or is this what you hear?? :rolleyes: i have had mine for over a year and i love it. It was worth the money to me.

smokey
02-22-2005, 10:17 PM
you guys, its only for if you change elvation constantly...they suck, junk, stupid....jet your carb correctly and you will get maximum hp...and the amount of gas the d-a-j will add is determined by vaccuum in the venturi and how you adjust it, just so you know....
Ya thats right you will spend 10$ on jets or 70$ on Dail_a_jet

86250RZ
02-23-2005, 10:44 AM
I've had mine on my 86 250R for 2 1/2 years and love it , worth every penny.

Dammit!
02-23-2005, 12:33 PM
As I understand it, they are not just for changing elevation constantly. Your jetting needs change all the time regardless of elevation. A 10 degree change in temperature, humidity, riding conditions, all that will require a jetting change to have your engine run at peak performance all the time. If the DAJ does what it claims (and I don't know that it does since I don't have one but the theory seems sound) it would give you perfect jetting within a certain range without even changing the dial. Basically you jet lean then let the DAJ "fill in the gaps" (for lack of a better term) as needed. How much it adds is determined by engine load.

I'd still like to try one someday. Not sure how i'd mount it with my current setup though.

Curtis-Tecate3
02-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Here is my $0.02 just to make a point.
Have you ever seen a dial a jet on a professional race bike, quad, 3wheeler.
Didn't think so....

Curtis.

Dammit!
02-23-2005, 12:44 PM
Here is my $0.02 just to make a point.
Have you ever seen a dial a jet on a professional race bike, quad, 3wheeler.
Didn't think so....

Curtis.

Apparently there's a lot of sled racers that use them. Not that I know anything about sleds. :p

On that subject though, pro racers have mechanics that jet the bikes perfect before every race. Hell probably every moto. Does anybody here have someone that jets their bike for them each and every time they get on it? Didn't think so. :D

asc180
02-23-2005, 12:55 PM
professional race quads usually come with someone to tune the bike just before the race. No different that stock cars or drag cars. You have to change the jetting due to atmosperic pressure, temp, and humidity. I have noticed my tri-z runs best when it is low humidity and about 65 degrees. I am sure if I had a dial a jet I could tune it in when these conditions change.

twgranger
02-23-2005, 02:25 PM
Apparently there's a lot of sled racers that use them. Not that I know anything about sleds. :p

On that subject though, pro racers have mechanics that jet the bikes perfect before every race. Hell probably every moto. Does anybody here have someone that jets their bike for them each and every time they get on it? Didn't think so. :D
well said!! Curtis-Tecate3 has no clue about the DAJ. :rolleyes:

3Razors
02-23-2005, 05:02 PM
It's just another aftermarket fling that won't be around in 5 years. Any serious rider/tuner doesn't need or use this.

edog
02-23-2005, 06:00 PM
Dial a jet rocks.

trikezilla
02-23-2005, 06:20 PM
Curtis-Tecate3: ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!

No offense, but before you go bashin on stuff....CHECK INTO IT!!!!! :p :p

...read the first paragraph about DENNIS DEAN: http://thunderproducts.com/dial_a_jet_techpaper.htm

hahahah lmfao, SOUNDS LIKE THEY ARE ON RACE BIKES DONT IT??????? :Bounce :w00t: :D :D

here is basically what that link says: "The Dial-A-Jet system was invented by Dennis Dean, Ph.D. (Doctorate in acoustics). Mr. Dean held over 120 world motorcycle drag racing records and several Bonneville records. The Dial-A-Jet concept was used on all of these machines. "

well, i hope this answers anyones ?s about if they are used on race machines....

OH yeah...whoever said "its a 5 year fling...:then why has it been around for so long...the current owner now has owned it for like 15 years :beer

hrc85250r
02-23-2005, 07:55 PM
i had one a few years ago on my blaster, and i must say...complete junk....sorry guys maybe you have good experience, but i def havent and doesnt do a thing, and you dont need to change your jetting for a 10 degree temp change?!?...what kind of crack are you on, if its jetted properly it should run in alot of different temperatures pretty good if not awesome, but again just my experience...maybe some of you suck at jetting and use the d-a-j to compensate for your suckiness....:cool:

Dammit!
02-23-2005, 08:10 PM
and you dont need to change your jetting for a 10 degree temp change?!?...what kind of crack are you on, if its jetted properly it should run in alot of different temperatures pretty good if not awesome, but again just my experience...maybe some of you suck at jetting and use the d-a-j to compensate for your suckiness....:cool:

A ten degree drop will effect your jetting. Enough for most people to re-jet? No. Enough to have some effect on performance? Yes. Especially when you consider the other atmospheric changes that might be associated with a temperature drop.

If you want your bike to run at absolute peak performance you'd check and re-jet as needed every single time you ride it. It's not a "one and done" process like you're making it sound. Why do you think the pro racer's mechanics re-jet for every race?

asc180
02-23-2005, 09:49 PM
It's like nobody hears us.

edog
02-26-2005, 02:24 PM
Who are you the dial a jet king,you shure do know alot about notheing.LOL

asc180
02-26-2005, 03:53 PM
I might know a lot about nothing but I do know a thing or two about Carburetors.

edog
02-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Yes so do i,these dial a jets seem to work better on different machine.Every machine is different so so results may vary.

hrc85250r
02-26-2005, 05:32 PM
go waste your money on a dial a jet....who cares.

edog
02-27-2005, 09:26 AM
I love wasteing money. :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce

twgranger
02-27-2005, 10:46 AM
I love wasteing money. :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce :BounceMe too!! :w00t:

Curtis-Tecate3
02-27-2005, 11:35 PM
Hey Trikezilla,
I sure hope that the guy that designed it actually used it himself...

here is basically what that link says: "The Dial-A-Jet system was invented by Dennis Dean, Ph.D. (Doctorate in acoustics). Mr. Dean held over 120 world motorcycle drag racing records and several Bonneville records. The Dial-A-Jet concept was used on all of these machines. "

Anyway guys, I wasn't trying to bash the product. I intended to let you know that you can tune your own carb for much less than buying this product. Especially when you have to drill holes into your carb and then you will have to buy jets anyway as you need to lean the crap out of it to make it work.

If you guys want to buy it or if you already use it then more power to you. I will choose more conventional methods myself.

Good luck and happy trails.

Curtis.

Dammit!
02-28-2005, 12:40 AM
Just FYI, you don't have to drill your carb. I almost bought one a while ago and didn't because of that. Then I found out you can install it into the filter boot instead.

I can't say if they work or not because I've never used one. The theory behind them is interesting though. I'd like to give one a shot someday to see for myself. If I could get one for 15 bucks like a certain someone in this thread I'd be all over it. :p

twgranger
02-28-2005, 08:57 AM
Just FYI, you don't have to drill your carb. I almost bought one a while ago and didn't because of that. Then I found out you can install it into the filter boot instead.

I can't say if they work or not because I've never used one. The theory behind them is interesting though. I'd like to give one a shot someday to see for myself. If I could get one for 15 bucks like a certain someone in this thread I'd be all over it. :p
Who would that be?? :wondering :D

twgranger
02-28-2005, 09:00 AM
Hey Trikezilla,

Anyway guys, I wasn't trying to bash the product. I intended to let you know that you can tune your own carb for much less than buying this product. Especially when you have to drill holes into your carb and then you will have to buy jets anyway as you need to lean the crap out of it to make it work.

If you guys want to buy it or if you already use it then more power to you. I will choose more conventional methods myself.

Good luck and happy trails.

Curtis.
It is 1 hole you have to drill and you don't have to drill in your carb. People always bashing the product but they dont have a clue about it!!!!!! :rolleyes:

straight pipe
02-28-2005, 02:01 PM
the quad guys i hang with love the thing.they love the instant throttle response,and it delivers more power under load.i was talking to a member of trackshare during a derby last saturday and he only had good things to say and he recomended it on my 250sx.i am curious. has any one installed one on a sx before? and if so how was it like. extra grunt would be nice in the mud, i then could leave it in second and let the rpm's do it's job of cleaning out the itp mud lights.

Dammit!
02-28-2005, 02:24 PM
Well, I don't have one but looking at how they work, I can't imagine they provide any kind of noticable power increase. If there's a power increase, you weren't jetted even close to correct in the first place. In theory, the throttle response should be improved. The main benefit is supposed to be spot on jetting all the time regardless of changing conditions. At least within a certain range before you have to adjust it using the dial. I'll find a deal on one sooner or later and find out for myself if they really work as advertised or not.

TimSr
02-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Well, I don't have one but looking at how they work, I can't imagine they provide any kind of noticable power increase. If there's a power increase, you weren't jetted even close to correct in the first place. In theory, the throttle response should be improved. The main benefit is supposed to be spot on jetting all the time regardless of changing conditions. At least within a certain range before you have to adjust it using the dial. I'll find a deal on one sooner or later and find out for myself if they really work as advertised or not.

I got that same impression. Ive never used one either, and its not likely I will, but I cant see how they could improve performance over a bike that is already jetted properly. It sounds like a great product though, for those who arent especially skilled at jetting, or that have finicky machines that are difficult to jet, but for my use its sounds more like an expensive solution to a problem I dont have. They seemed to have help out a lot people with their problems here, though.

straight pipe
02-28-2005, 04:56 PM
if you install a free flowin exaust and a k&n intake filter you would or might need to jet bigger, this might be a alternative to the trial and error of jetting after mods.i too can't see a huge benefit installing one on a totally stock bike cause you'll run into a problem burning all that excess fuel.it would be like sticking a 750 double pumper on a stock 305.

trikezilla
02-28-2005, 07:22 PM
in reading your last posts i realized i forgot to mention it is going on a heavily modified motor so its a pain to rejet especially since its ported and polished. And i should mention its really finnickey/touchy

CURTIS TECATE 3
Hey Trikezilla,

i dont understand your post curtis :wondering .....it says right in that paragraph you used whether he used them or not :p :p :TrikesOwn

Dammit!
02-28-2005, 08:22 PM
I got that same impression. Ive never used one either, and its not likely I will, but I cant see how they could improve performance over a bike that is already jetted properly. It sounds like a great product though, for those who arent especially skilled at jetting, or that have finicky machines that are difficult to jet, but for my use its sounds more like an expensive solution to a problem I dont have. They seemed to have help out a lot people with their problems here, though.

That's pretty much exactly it. I can definitely see how they would help people that change elevation often. The lazy trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro in me likes the idea of being able to tweak the jetting by just turning a dial too. Don't think I like the idea enough to justify the expense though. They just cost too much for what they are.

One thing that has crossed my mind with these things though. I had a mechanic tell me a while back that it's better to leave your airbox on and just run without the lid because the box blocks the wind but lets in the air. According to this guy the wind at high speed creates some turbulence in your air filter which makes it a huge pain in the butt to tune your bike perfectly. Since these things supposedly work based on engine load and constantly vary the amount of fuel your engine gets based on what it needs, maybe they're a potential solution to that problem. Kinda makes sense. With standard jets alone your fuel flow is constant while your air flow/density may vary a bit here and there depending on conditions and engine load. You think? I've only taken my R out once since I switched to that clamp on Uni and ditched the airbox. I was getting some odd plug readings that day which kind of validated what that mechanic was telling me.

edog
02-28-2005, 08:30 PM
I love it.You should to. LOL