PDA

View Full Version : 200X Leaking Gas...no clue from where

1985_250_ATC
02-20-2005, 02:13 AM
Ok, I get gome tonight from the Auto Show, Im extremely tired from a full day of walking but I want to fix my Trike...I get home to a big spot of gas on the floor of my garage, directly underneath my trike...my garage smells like gas, and the spot is gas, Im absolutley sure it is...there is gas on the engine, but I cannot follow the leak anywhere because it seems to be evreywhere...I dont know if its a gas line, or something else...right now I turned the gas to OFF and am hoping it stops the leaking until the morning...its not a big leak, but its big enough to notice a pudldle of gas after about 10-15 minutes...also, Im sure I did not spill gas as I was filling it up as I am very careful when dealing with fuel, because I know how it can damage paint finishes, that is why this problem is killing me...I searched and read that it could possibly be a overflow...but why would my tank overflow when I rode it yesterday perfectly fine without any gas on the floor of my garage...Im afraid to start it because there is gas almost evreywhere over the engine and my exhaust likes to backfire...with the fumes in the air, I smell a news story already...Please help, as fast as possible, if you need more info just ask, if you want specific pics of something, just ask...HELP!!!

incase it matters its a 85 200X...

Thanks alot for your time, and just remember im still quite new to this so dont get TO technical with me... :beer

1984kxtTECATE
02-20-2005, 02:33 AM
Im not sure this will ansewer it but it is a thought, if you leave the gas in the on position it will leak out of an overflow tube that is hooked up to the carb, ive done that with my tecate once

1985_250_ATC
02-20-2005, 02:40 AM
but I alawyas leave my gas on,,,ALWAYS....since I got the trike in November it has never been off...why NOW it decides to do this? this is really weird...

ATCnut
02-20-2005, 02:50 AM
All it takes is a speck of crud to get in the float needle seat, and the gas will run out of the carb. The other thing that can happen is the float needle sticks.

Dammit!
02-20-2005, 02:52 AM
Well first thing you do is take the tank off and get it out of the garage if you're that worried about it. It only takes a couple of minutes and would make it a lot easier to find the leak. Take it off, look for holes or a leaking seam. Leave it outside until you fix it.

1985_250_ATC
02-20-2005, 01:23 PM
But the gas tank is full of gas...not overly full, but its got a nice amount in it, would it still come off easily? or would the tank have to be drained?.....now that I turned the gas off it stopped leaking...WTH this is pissing me off now....

straight pipe
02-20-2005, 02:27 PM
well you now know the tank doesn't leak. take the carb off and clean the sucker..problem solved! or try run some fuel injector cleaner first. that might do the trick and a whole lot less work than manualy cleaning a carb.

85 250sx
02-20-2005, 05:05 PM
But the gas tank is full of gas...not overly full, but its got a nice amount in it, would it still come off easily? or would the tank have to be drained?.....now that I turned the gas off it stopped leaking...WTH this is pissing me off now....

yes you can still take your gas tank off if its full just make sure to turn your petcock off fist. if gas is leaking its most likely out of your carb overflow. take the tank off and then take off your carb. what i would do is take the carb apart and make sure the floats arnt stuck, aslo check the needle and seet to make sure they are not shot. if everything looks ok. clean everything off with brake parts cleaner. do NOT use a carb cleaner enless you want to replace all of your gaskets. Brake parts cleaner works pretty good dries fast and it is not bad for the gaskets good luck

1985_250_ATC
02-20-2005, 10:17 PM
Alright evreybody, thanks alot for the help, this looks like a next weekend "project"...I will have to look over the shop manual to see how to do certain things but from the way it sounds, its not to hard...thanks alot guys!