PDA

View Full Version : are trike illegal in new york?

mbubbac
02-19-2005, 05:54 PM
hey i live on long island and i was wondering if trikes and illegal cuz some of my friends say yes and some say no and i just want to make sure cuz i got stopped by cops while whipping around the block on my lil 70

200xman
02-19-2005, 06:01 PM
They are not illegal to own, but they are illegal to ride anywhere on the island except your own property or property you have permissino to use. That's why I bought this.

raptor
02-19-2005, 06:15 PM
looks bomb proof. thief proof. bullet proof. fire proof... have i missed anything? bet that set you back a few $$$

Meat-BoX
02-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Rip it up all you want on some property you can permission to ride on. Or go find some nice trail system and go to town. :w00t:

mbubbac
02-19-2005, 08:27 PM
yeah i got some jumps and a sand pit and some trails by me but its liek private prop and ill just ride there anyway cops cant find it anyway and thats where my enighbor rides his dirtbikes and im lookin 2 sell my 70. i know it a lil small but its not the size its how u ride it, for how much should i sell it for, it runs like a beast plastics r good and seat isnt ripped i was thinking around 300 its a 1984

200xman
02-19-2005, 08:50 PM
Where on the island are you? I might be interested in the 70. I could stop by tomorrow. You can email me at boatlove@optonline.net.

RacerRichie
02-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Thats what the hillbillys asked me when I was at Hatfield Mccoy in West Virginia last year. I had to laugh. :D I didn't see any while I was there not even one other. I was on my blue 225dx. Some people couldn't get enough.
But anyway they are legal. :rolleyes:

twgranger
02-19-2005, 11:13 PM
I have no problems where i live.

Tri-ZNate
02-19-2005, 11:19 PM
They are not illegal to ride you just cant ride them on property you do not own or have permission to go on, or roads, dirt or otherwise.

twgranger
02-19-2005, 11:25 PM
They are not illegal to ride you just cant ride them on property you do not own or have permission to go on, or roads, dirt or otherwise.
I can ride my trike anywere as long as it is not posted and i have to have tags and insurance.

Tri-ZNate
02-19-2005, 11:27 PM
I meant do not permission to go on property you dont own. Or did you mean you can ride on the roads?

Kintore
02-20-2005, 12:24 AM
My local cops dont care. Since im a country based operation my 250r's are "Farm Machines" but they still wouldnt care if I didnt live on a farm, around here it is surprisingly leanent.

350x'inNY
02-20-2005, 12:33 AM
Josh... is that avatar your new Tri-Z?

Anyhow... no they are not illegal in NY, but everyday it becomes harder and harder to "legally" abide by NYS Laws. Use to be you could ride on your own land without registration or insurance. If you rode on other people's land, even with permission, you were suppose to be registered. Any state land or public trails, registered and insured.

Now... if DEC or Sherriffs dared, they can legally take your ATV off your own land if it's not registered. If you ride anywhere besides your own property, it has to be registered AND insured. I called around to find insurance, and got "No.. it's a 3wheeler, they won't cover it" from every place I tried. Guess others in NY have found insurance, but it getting $$$ and harder to find a carrier. You can kiss the "TrailPass" system in NY goodbye... unless you +/- a wheel. :mad:

Bruce

hrc85250r
02-20-2005, 12:39 AM
well, i ride down logging roads in the late summer(cranberry lake) and have never had a problem, i just do it on weekends....there are never any cops on them, and even if there are they are usually on old 335? polaris 2x4's and i wouldnt have a problem shaking them...one time i almost went head on into the front of a peterbuilt logging semi, and the driver wasnt mad at me or anything... i think you should be ok as long as you dont act like a dick and dont rip up peoples property.....

bbechtel16
02-20-2005, 01:38 PM
...one time i almost went head on into the front of a peterbuilt logging semi, and the driver wasnt mad at me or anything...
That's because he would have won! :p

thefox
02-21-2005, 11:25 AM
I can ride my trike anywere as long as it is not posted and i have to have tags and insurance.

True but then you can get a $100 ticket. I got ticketed for riding at Morgan Hill which is down by Highland Forest area. I know a few people who have taken their jeeps up there without a problem but I only got about 15 min of riding in before a ranger stopped me. I got a ticket for $80 (plus $20 surcharge) for "operation of an atv on state land" he almost gave me another ticket for operating an atv on a road because the dirt road/path that I was on. When it comes to atv's, New York State stinks.