PDA

View Full Version : Got a question about my 3-wheeler.

J.D.
01-20-2003, 11:54 PM
I have this old Yamaha 3-wheeler, and all I know about it is that it's a 200cc engine, and it's kinda old. Well I got it a few months ago for free, and everything was in good working condition...well, now when I start it up it makes this LOUD clanking noise in the right side of the motor, and when I shift it into gear it won't go anywhere. So I have no idea how to work on these engines, but I went out and bought a book from Haynes that's supposed to cover models from 83-85. What I need to know is what could possibly be wrong with the motor? And what kind of model do I have? I could get the engine number and frame number if it could help, but I'm clueless. Oh, and on the seat it says
"200E
SHAFT"
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

djcheez
01-21-2003, 12:00 AM
how did you get a manual if you didnt know what the bike was? yamaha did make a 200 shaft drive trike then. the clunking could be anything from the crank to gears. hard tellin with out listening

J.D.
01-21-2003, 12:05 AM
because it was the only manual available that I could find for any 200cc 3 wheelers of that era I could find....hopefully it isn't the wrong manual

Paul
01-21-2003, 12:26 AM
Sometimes there are labels on the front of the fork, right behind the headlight. its kinda hard to read it or see it, but thats where i got all my info on my yamaha 84dx, good luck

J.D.
01-21-2003, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the tip, I'll check in the morning when I can see.

J.D.
01-21-2003, 11:34 AM
Someone must have removed it or something because there's nothing there but complete black...all that's there is the frame number.

TimSr
01-21-2003, 12:23 PM
Your dealer can tell you year and model from the serial number. Regardless of what the noise is, it will have to come apart to see what it is and to fix it, so theres not much value in having everybody speculate as to each part that it migh be. At least get the sidecover off and see what you find inside.