PDA

View Full Version : Please help!!! 350x chain problems

250sxer
02-17-2005, 06:40 PM
My 350x came stock with a 13/40 sprocket ratio....the guy before me put a 14 on the front. I am trying to put a 12 on the front now. With that said, I just took the 14 tooth off and put the 12 on. The chain was obviously too long. I tightened the chain as far as the egg shaped carrier would allow, but the chain was still too loose. Like any "shop engineer", I decided to take a link out of the chain....Now with the egg shaped carrier as loose as I can get it, the chain is about 1/4" from fitting together and even at that, it would be way too tight.....
What in the hell do you do about this? I know a new chain would not be stretched as much as this old chain, so maybe number of links I had before removing one would be okay....But what do you do when the new chain stretches and you can't tighten anymore besides buy another chain????

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

hrc85250r
02-17-2005, 06:54 PM
get a half master link...they have them...i wouldnt personally use them on my R cause i dont think they look very strong, but they make them and sell them at almost every off road parts place......that will more than likely solve yur problem im guessing....

thefox
02-18-2005, 01:47 AM
Yes, you can get a half link. Make sure that your rear sprocket isn't worn out too since you are back there. When chain stretch beyond adjustment then they are worn out and need to be replaced. "Chain stretch" is not caused by actual stretching of the chain; it is that all the little pins and links wear out.

Don't forget that spending $30 on a new chain now can save you from having to fix a hole in you case later.

TravEX
02-28-2005, 01:50 PM
i'm in the same boat with my X,,,got the new chain and sprockets in today,,,90 links? is that right???

later

86350xhauler
02-28-2005, 04:40 PM
I recently bought a new chain for my 14/40 sprockets. I bought a 92 link chain and had to buy a half link. I think it was two dollars or something like that. It is pretty strong and hasn't broken yet.

350x'inNY
02-28-2005, 06:26 PM
i'm in the same boat with my X,,,got the new chain and sprockets in today,,,90 links? is that right???

later

hmmmm... seems like 92 is the correct length by memory....

EDIT - and memory was wrong.... 90 is correct for stock gearing.

smokey
02-28-2005, 09:34 PM
It is 90 links for stock gearing