PDA

View Full Version : Plastic material

denn
02-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Does anyone know what the original plastic on a tri-z was made out of? I was once told it was polyproyplene material. I have a place that is willing to try and reproduce them for me. No matter what material it is. I was just curious for the price. I think this polyproyplene is a bit more expensive than ABS. I can't do anything from here in Iraq, but as soon as I get my leave in april, when I get home I am going to drop it off. I want to try to reproduce the front fenders and the side scoops. Any info will help.

thanks, Denn

straight pipe
02-17-2005, 01:52 PM
i'm a body shop guy. if if had a choice it would be abs. it repairs easier ..my 2 cents.

Jeb
02-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Polypropylene (PP) should be cheaper than Acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (ABS) Dont forget there's extra cost for factory match color concentrate.

The factory fenders are injection molded. I'm not sure if they are PP or ABS.

http://www.plasticsnews.com/subscriber/resin/price1.html

Are they going to vacuum form the parts or injection mold them?? My guess is vacuum form (cheapest). Then you worry about the cost of PP sheets as opposed to ABS. Probably get the closest color possible instead of direct match to save money and having to buy a certain volume of color matched material.

Hope things are going well in Iraq! :beer

going4broketecate85
02-17-2005, 06:55 PM
denn,
Glad that they let you have access to this web site while you are over there :D !!! Thanks for protecting freedom for us all!! We all greatly appreciate it!!
As far as what type of plastic to use I do not know,but I think that it is great that you are looking into making these parts!!!! Maybe when you get all of the perticulars down you could look into making other parts that no one else makes!!
Make alot of money, retire early, oh ya!! And help keep alot of trikes going!! :beer

Darius1502
02-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Denn,

Thank you so much for your service. I can't wait till you get back man. We miss you over here. You are the Tri Z expert.

Take care of yourself over there...Ok?

Thanks again man.

God bless you!

denn
02-18-2005, 04:54 AM
Thanks guys for the kind words, I really appreciate that. I would like your opinions, If I have this done i am going to do it excatly as the factory did it. I am going to drop the plastic off and tell them i want the exact same thing. I got some info from the guy. He said if he uses a wood mold I can get about 80-100 of them. Any more than that and he has to make an aluminum mold. He said it would probally run about $500-$700 to make the wood mold, and the material cost. And depending on the size of the part he gave me a ballpark of about 15--30 dollars a piece. If I make that many of them and they come out excatly as the factory did, would anybody be interested in buying some. Im sure I can put them on ebay to. I would like to make all 3 colors, maybe 25 of each. I would not rip anyone off, I don't care about making money on them. If I could sell them for $50 a piece I will. I would just like to break even if I can. I know this is a pipe dream right now cause I am 12,000 miles away, but I am convinced there is no other way to get new plastic for my Z. I never plan on selling my Z's and plastic is the only thing I can't get and its pisses me off. If you guys can give me your opinions on this I would really appreciate it. I will be home for 2 weeks in april and in between spending some time with my family, my wife, and my son, I am going to get right on this:) Let me know.

Thanks Denn

LonesomeTriZ
02-18-2005, 10:58 AM
Why don't we start some kind of list or thread or what ever of all the people that want one or more new fenders and side scoops. That way there will be an in stone number of people who will buy. Then what ever is left you can sell over time either on Ebay or 3ww and .org.

Jeb
02-18-2005, 11:39 AM
The factory parts are injection molded. To be exactly as the factory made them that's the way you'll have to have it done.

If your guy can give you 100 good injection molded parts at $30 a piece off an $800 dollar wood mold, that's cheaper than cheap, for injection molding. Remember one thing-the factory more than likely used high dollar tooling to make their fenders. The quality of the finished part is directly a result of the quality of the mold.

If he's vacuum forming them, then you're getting the equivalent of Maier Plastic, not factory. Nothing wrong with vacuum formed if they are shiney, quality, color matched parts. But vacuum forming does not yield injection molding quality.

I people would like to really see the difference in quality between injection molded and vacuum form parts, take an OEM front fender and shrouds from an 85/86 250R and compare it to the Maier parts.

Good luck with it!