PDA

View Full Version : 83-85 200x piston vs 86-87 ....

short4stuff
02-16-2005, 10:32 PM
umm anyone have the 2 and can compare them? .. i want to know what the difference is .. i have seen on ebay a few pistons that say work for 83-87 200x .. and yeah my dad messed up (he thinks) and ordered a 86-88 piston .. for 200x and for 200sx i think .. anwyahs anyone know the difference .... same bore...

Lomax
02-17-2005, 10:55 AM
I think that it depends on the brand of piston that you go with, My Shindy listing shows that it is the same for 83-87 My Weisco listing shows different numbers for the different years and my Pro-X listing doesnt even show a piston for an 86-87 200X (however there is one listed for the TRX200SX which would be the same thing). The piston in Pro-X shows to be the same for the early X's as it does for the TRX though.

short4stuff
02-20-2005, 09:22 PM
alright well i did get a 86-88 200x/200sx wiseco piston .. and it works .. now does anyone have a piston of a 83-85 wiseco 10.25:1 piston ? .. i want to see how that one looks .. and see if there are any differences...

short4stuff
05-26-2005, 04:52 PM
Hmm I take back my previous post.. the piston hits the head... not by much but some.. I think if I sand down the head some it should be ableto clear... so maybe the "pinging" (which I thought was dentenation) was actually the piston hiting the head :wondering :eek: :o

Anyone have anything to say? lol

cliff2302
05-26-2005, 05:10 PM
Send it back, but its too late now. Here is a suggestion, try it at your own risk. Take the head off and see where its hitting and sand down the top of the piston where its hitting. I'd rather take some off the piston because its more replacable than a head. You might want to take an even ammount off 180 degrees from where its hitting so it is still balenced, if that even matters in these engines. Once again, this is just a suggestion, i am no expert. Good luck, let us know what you decide.

short4stuff
05-26-2005, 05:27 PM
Here's an example of where the piston is hitting.. its weird how the head is smaller than the cylinder bore.. Is that normal for all heads or just because this used to be a 100cc engine that the mazed out the bore on and left the same head?
The piston I put it a 10.25:1 so it is domed and thats where it hits.. so I figure if I take some off the head where its "square" that will fit it..
Anyone think that would be ok?..

I dunno about taking any off the piston ..

cliff2302
05-26-2005, 08:01 PM
For racing purposes, people sometimes lighten the pistons by taking some material off the bottom of the piston. If you take some off the top, your going to loose a little compression, but it couldn't be anything major. Something i just thought of, try and find a thicker head gasket. I feel like a retard for not suggesting that earlier. But, like i said before, you could take some material off the head, but the piston is alot cheaper it you mess it up. i'd look into that head gasket though.

bigredhead
05-26-2005, 08:05 PM
If you put on a thicker gasket.. make sure no gasket material is exposed to the cylinder chamber.. would fry it . and would that affect the timing chain any ? lengh wise.. woul'nt be much i guess.

What kind of compression ratio are you getting if the piston is touching the head ??? holy crap.

( Runs to google... will be busy for hours now.. geeez.. thanks. )

short4stuff
05-26-2005, 08:20 PM
lol why are you running to google?..
Umm I don't 100% agree about the piston being cheap than the head if I mess it up.. cause a piston kit is like 150 cdn and I know I could pick a head up for like 50$ cdn, if not less.

When the pistons were side by side the stock honda and the 10.25:1 wiseco 86-87. they were like identical for height. I know the stroke is different on the different years but the piston pin was in the same spot on the piston. So the difference must be the domed area. Maybe the 86-87 rises abit higher than the earlier years or somethign.. I dunno..

All I know is it was ran like that for 2-3 tanks maybe 4 of gas and it was just barly hitting... Like its not hitting now cause enough aluminum got crushed lol.

shudup
05-26-2005, 08:48 PM
you can use 2 or 3 base gaskets to do this instead of trying to find a thicker head gasket

jenndnn3
05-26-2005, 10:28 PM
Thicker gaskets may work, but look at having the head done. That is of course that piston really does fit in there. How long are the skirts in comparison? I assume the cranks are the same for both trikes then? The only true way to get differences is to Micrometer them. I can tell you right now, the xr200r piston and the 85 200x piston "look" exactly identical right down to the size...but they aint. One of these days I will tear down an 86 200x engine (or 87) and see for meself what exactly is different besides numbers. If the mic numbers mesh you should be good to go.