PDA

View Full Version : Backfiring and odd idling

DeePa
02-16-2005, 07:42 PM
As you know, i have an 85 200s which i am doing quite of bit of work to, but i dont plan on touching the motor. It runs like a champ except for 2 things.

In order to keep it idling, i have to up the idle speed (by the screw). Its probably around 2000 rpm by my guess. Even then, sometimes it will just start to really sputter and stall out. Starts right back up with the hand on the throttle and a quick pull. Should i have to hold the throttle to get her to start up again? If i dont it could take a good 10-15 pulls and even then it wont start.

Second thing. It backfires when its warm and cold when its in neutral when i rev the engine up. What causes backfiring. There is a champion plus in there now, and i have the correct NGK one coming, so that may make a difference. But what does backfiring mean? I ran a compression test, and got 90 psi, but i dont think i did it 100 % correctly. I have to do it again to find out.

If you can help me out, that'd be spectatcular

Thanks,
Mike

86200s
02-16-2005, 08:17 PM
check the valve clearence if its good i would pull the head off and try getting a valve job.

trikezilla
02-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Q: "WHAT CAUSES BACKFIRING?"

A: backfiring (on 4 stropkes) is commonlly caused by air leaks and holes in your exhaust system. somehow they trap gasses and cause a little "explosion"

DeePa
02-16-2005, 11:26 PM
so could the exhaust manifold being loosly held onto the engine could be causing this? there is only one bolt holding it on because a stud is currently broken.

how about the rough idling??

Tri-ZNate
02-16-2005, 11:34 PM
Since you have only one bolt holding the manafold I'd say put another in and it should be quieter if nothing else.

Rough idleing could just be a dirty carb.

trikezilla
02-17-2005, 06:08 PM
I doubt a loose exhaust manifold could cause backfiring. IT would make it a little quieter if you put another one on there. Bacfiring can also be caused by all of your gas not being burned off. If it is not completly burned it will go out your exhaust..and can "explode" in there like i mentioned earlier. This leads me to my next point: If you fix the rough idling, it may not cause backfiring because you are getting all the correct gas and air ratios...allowing all of the gas to be burned off

Oldshell4481
02-17-2005, 09:05 PM
yeah when i fixed the hole in my exhaust it stopped backfiring

HaggLE
02-18-2005, 08:16 AM
You can also get backfiring caused by not enough advance on the ignition timing.

hondaATCman
02-19-2005, 01:27 AM
I would say ignition timing or an air leak.

Vealmonkey
02-19-2005, 01:33 AM
I had an 85 200x with a broken exhaust stud and it would back fire like crazy, spitting flame and the whole bit. I ended up having to get a used head as a previous owner had been a little too crazy trying to drill out a broken exhaust stud before. Once I replaced the head and new gaskets, especially exhaust, it was fine.