PDA

View Full Version : 85 Tri-z 5 Speed .vs. 86 Tri-z 6 Speed

WMX500_RACER
02-16-2005, 04:03 AM
Hi i was just wonder wich tri z is faster the 5 speed or the 6 speed or does one just top out quicker also will a set of 6 speed gears fit in the 5 speed cases also is there any knowen yz gear sets that will work in the 85 Tri-z any info will help.

thanxsanthony

:TrikesOwn

Tri-ZNate
02-16-2005, 11:18 PM
ok I think I can answer two of these questions for you.
1.The 86 should go faster because of that extra gear
2. and If your talking about putting the six gears in the '85 it would seem like it wouldn't work because the engine is probably smaller due to having only 5 gears when it was made.

LonesomeTriZ
02-16-2005, 11:23 PM
Actually you can put a six speed gear set in an 85 bottom end. My buddy at Yamaha told me how, But I forgot.

WMX500_RACER
02-17-2005, 04:42 AM
hey do you think you can get a hold of trailprotrailpro buddy and let me know also i am looking for a set of 6 Spd gears if anybody out there has them let me know also wonder if any 1 knows if a YZ 6 Spd gear set would work ? also anybody out there with a tri z have a moto plate ignition in there tri z i have 1 but did not install it yet i was wondering if any1 has done it yet and how it works be4 i do it?

anthony

OldSchoolin86
02-17-2005, 05:10 AM
IMO it's a lot of work and money just for that 6th gear. You'd have to change out all the gears, forks and the drum.

WMX500_RACER
02-18-2005, 03:40 AM
ok then well does anybody out there have a 86 bottom end? 4 SALE?????????????????

Wickedfinger
02-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Just to clear up a very common mis-conception - Having an extra gear dosen't usually mean your going to have a higher top speed - unless the ratios are drastically different. The transmission drive ratio on the 5 gear in the '85Z and the 6th gear in the '86Z are very close to 1:1. This is the case with just about any geared transmission, motor driven vehicle that dosent have an "overdrive". The 6th gear in the '86Z is not an overdriven gear - the mid-range gears ratios and cuts are steeper allowing for an extra gear, which in the '86Z's case is like between 3rd and 4th. The 6-speed tranny in the '86Z just helps it acellerate better and matches up better to the motors powerband. Yamaha didn't put it on them to give them a higher top speed, this I assure you of. If you feel that the machine "top's" out too soon - a sprocket change is in order.

chris200x
02-18-2005, 04:14 PM
Hey WMX500 dude, welcome to the boards. Tamaqua is right down the road from me. I imagine there's some good riding areas down there. Ever ride in the Hazleton area? I'm like 10 minutes from Tamaqua.

WMX500_RACER
02-19-2005, 03:17 AM
hey what's up? yeah theres some good spots down here i here the same about up there altho i never get a chance to get up there to find out. so what machines u got? maybe u can make it down here or me and some buddy up trailprotrailpro way go for a good ride come summer time.

anthony

chris200x
02-19-2005, 06:53 AM
I have an 85' Honda 200X (pic in avatar). All us PA guys should meet up when it warms up.

WMX500 PM me to chat if ya want.

TimSr
02-19-2005, 10:52 AM
When I was racing motocross with my TriZ exclusively, I had two motors that I was frequently swapping out, one with an 86 and one with an 85 bottom end. The 6 speed covers a wider range from bottom to top, but the gears are also closer together. That had its advantages in trail riding and things like that, and enabled it to be geared for trails, and not top out so quick in an open area (which rarely happened anayways) but it was a disadvantage on the MX track. The motors had more than adequate low end power to pull gears spaced wider apart, and the unnecessary shifting right into mid range on the next gear cost a lot of time. On a typical MX track, your only using 3 or 4 gears anyways, so granny gear and overdrive werent a consideration. I consistantly ran better lap times on the 5 speed. I never did any drag strip stop watch tests, but on a typical ATV drag strip, I have no doubts Id have seen the same results. The 6 speed closer spaced gears would probably have helped racing up a steep hill, or if I weighed 300 lbs, but I weigh 175. The 6 speed does have the range capability to start lower and end higher, and you can more closely match a good gear for a particular cruising speed, but when you're just trying to accellerate through the gears as fast as possible on a somewhat flat piece of ground the 5 speed does it better.

The 85 and 86 motors are identical except for the two gear shaft assemblies, the shifting forks, and the shifting drum.

WMX500_RACER
02-19-2005, 05:13 PM
yeah that sounds like a plan to me do alot of the guys u ride with ride bikes trikes or quads? pm when r u usually on yahoo?

anthony

chris200x
02-19-2005, 07:41 PM
hey what's up? yeah theres some good spots down here i here the same about up there altho i never get a chance to get up there to find out. so what machines u got? maybe u can make it down here or me and some buddy up trailprotrailpro way go for a good ride come summer time.

anthony

I PM'd you check your 3WW mail

WMX500_RACER
02-24-2005, 04:43 AM
I PM'd you check your 3WW mail
did u get my e-mail i sent u?