PDA

View Full Version : TRX linkage compatible with the trike?

Dammit!
02-15-2005, 10:59 PM
Anyone ever try using the rear shock linkage (cushion and pivot arms) on a 1986 R?

The bushings for the R are discontinued and the TRX is NOT the same (same width but thicker diameter). If both arms would work on a trike though maybe I could find them on ebay for cheap. Just need to know if they work with the stock R swingarm and shock. I know the bushings for the TRX are bigger in diameter but I don't know if the bolt is the same size. Maybe they're just thicker and use the same size bolt. Otherwise I'd need a shock too I guess which isn't feasible.

x.system
02-15-2005, 11:45 PM
The quickest way may be for you to just take yours to a machine shop and have a couple new ones made up. Are you sure all years trx are different size? They did change the rear suspension in the 88 and 89 trx a little, 86 and 87 may be the same as the atc but I have never checked. I can check the bolt size on my 87, 88 and the 85/86 and compare them tomorrow if you need me to.

Dammit!
02-15-2005, 11:52 PM
At the shop today they had a bushing kit that he said was from a 1986-1987 TRX but it didn't actually say that anywhere on the packaging. Maybe he picked up the wrong one? Guess I can double check with them tomorrow.

There's still a couple of hole in the wall type places around here I can check with. Gonna do that tomorrow. I'm just looking into the linkage swap as a last resort.

Any idea how much a machine shop would charge me for something like that? I assume I'd need exact measurements too since mine are pretty chewed.

x.system
02-16-2005, 12:41 AM
Its simple lathe work so it shouldn't be that expensive. Probably take a total of 5 to 10 minutes to make a pair. I took metal shop in high school and had access to all those tools. That was my favorite class for 3 years. :D take both the bushing and the pivot arm and they will be able to size it up. It may be cheaper to have a few made up and just sell off the extras but ask them.

Just checked service honda and it shows they are the same for 86 to 89.

Dammit!
02-16-2005, 12:48 AM
Lots of Nothing is hooking me up with a used set. I'm still gonna look into this though. Might need to know down the road.

hrc85250r
02-16-2005, 11:24 AM
well, the only different bushing is the end of the "dogbone" that connects to the swingarm, and i made my own out of a suzuki katana rear suspension bushing....same inside and outside diameters , just a little too long....