PDA

View Full Version : found a wierd thing with my tank tonight.

mikey's250sx
02-15-2005, 07:38 PM
look at this pic. i can't quite figure out what it is. i am sealing my tank with por-15 and i decided to re-paint it also as there was some bubbling in the paint at the bottom edge. i figured i had a hole. i go to poke my finger through what i expected to be brittle paint and it was like rubber!!!. i don't know how the last owner did this but it seems like the whole tank was dipped in liquid rubber. anyone ever seen this?

hrc85250r
02-15-2005, 07:45 PM
thats like the stuff they use to coat the racks in commerecial walk-in fridges and freezers...its like a tough latexy-plastic crap, and just to let you knwo its a SOB to use!!! really durable though, i bet that stuff is quite a few years old....

going4broketecate85
02-15-2005, 07:56 PM
I've seen plasta-dip for tools. Its kinda like that, it's liquid and you dip tools or what ever you want in it. Then it drys to a rubber finish. That could be what they did or even parts stores sell a Rhino lining copy in a poof can that could be, but never heard of putting it on a tank! Although,.......I did buy a brand new gas tank for my old chevy truck(cause the old one was rusted out) and I took it to a place that does spray on Rhino linings and had them spray my new tank to protect it, cause they always rust out and the guy there said he does gas tanks all of the time!!

mikey's250sx
02-15-2005, 07:59 PM
i would guess it was durable because it had no tears or any way to tell it wasn't paint except where the hole was.