PDA

View Full Version : 250sx rear brake drum

250sxer
02-15-2005, 06:49 PM
The shaft that goes from the brake cable lever to the inside of the brake drum and turns to engage the brake shoes turns but is very stiff. So stiff in fact that the spring on the shaft and the springs on the brake shoes do not return it to it's original position once you let off the brakes....Any tips on how to loosen this shaft up or the proper way to remove it if I need to replace it or work on it? Thanks !!!

mad_max
02-15-2005, 07:55 PM
The lever is threaded to the shaft. Take the lever off and the shaft can be removed.

DeePa
02-15-2005, 08:10 PM
I assume youre talking about the rear brake Cam. It is an item that should be checked and lubed accordingly. You probably have some rust or junk keeping the cam from moving freely. Take it out and clean and lube it up and youre good to go. Be sure to note the punch marks where the brake lever/arm attaches to the cam. You should see like a red dot on the rear axle holder and a punch mark on the brake arm.

250sxer
02-16-2005, 01:22 PM
The lever is threaded to the shaft. Take the lever off and the shaft can be removed.

I already removed the lever from the brake cam and it was held on by splines, not threads. Should this concern me?

Also, I will check for the punch marks, but I don't remember seeing them...

Thanks!!!

bigredhead
02-16-2005, 02:05 PM
yes. they are splines.. and don't expect that dot to be red... LOL.. but it should be there.

if you can't see the dot... very small punch mark btw... look for a difference in the spline patterns., there will be a gap at one point.. it'l make sense when you put it back together..

Inspect the return spring, should be strong and tight, and as said above put some greast on that shaft not a huge amount, cuz you don't want ANY on the shoes.. but coat it lightly.

consider removing the cable and lubing it.

250sxer
02-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Thanks for all the help!!! I got it working and put back together, just waiting for the new shoes. This site is awesome.....

mad_max
02-16-2005, 08:23 PM
I already removed the lever from the brake cam and it was held on by splines, not threads. Should this concern me?

Also, I will check for the punch marks, but I don't remember seeing them...

Thanks!!!

Yep, splines not threads. My bad ;)