PDA

View Full Version : Cam Chain Replacement

dooner17
02-13-2005, 08:53 PM
I have two 3-wheelers, KlT 160 and 200s. They both need new cam chains. I would rather rivet a link than split the case. I was wondering how you guys would go at this? I have the new cam chain for the 200s that is a Honda product. Any help Appreciated

Huffa
02-13-2005, 09:23 PM
200S cam or other wise known as timing chain replacement .........here ya go!

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=31213

How much you pay for yours? I got mine (D.I.D.) for a little over 19.00 including shipping :D

dooner17
02-13-2005, 11:23 PM
Thanks a lot

dooner17
02-13-2005, 11:57 PM
About terring into the bottom end though, I'm not too familiar. I am really wondering if theres an alternative of just riveting a link on the chain?

HaggLE
02-14-2005, 03:34 AM
timing chains are all one piece. The job isnt that tough.

Huffa
02-14-2005, 06:15 AM
:confused: I'm lost with "riveting a link" :confused:

If they need new ones (chains) you certainly don't want to add a link.

dooner17
02-14-2005, 07:52 AM
Ok, in the 200s, behind the pullcord and the case, therres the internal coil which needs to be removed. Is there oil in here and will I need any kind of puller to get to the cam chain.

MTS
02-14-2005, 07:57 AM
you will need a flywheel puller to get at the cam chain on the 200s

HaggLE
02-14-2005, 03:45 PM
:confused: I'm lost with "riveting a link" :confused:

If they need new ones (chains) you certainly don't want to add a link.

He is referring to a chain that has a join like a drive chain. This is common on cars. you attach the new chain to the old chain and turn it over so that the old chain pulls it through, around the crank and back up. Once it has come back to the top you unjoin them again, join the chain together and then retime it. whala, you have the chain on and didnt have to take the bottom apart.

Huffa
02-14-2005, 03:56 PM
Thanks for setting me straight on that haggle! Learn something everyday.

Dooner.......here is a pic of the flywheel puller you need. Do you understand how to use them?

thefox
02-14-2005, 04:15 PM
On the Honda 200s you can get away with removing the pull start, flywheel, and the cover behind the flywheel (drain the oil first!) in order to get at the lower sprocket. The top sprocket is behind the cdi advancer. You might have to take off the cam cover and cam in order to get the chain on the cam or it may just slip over the end of the cam, I’m not sure as it has been a while since I replaced a cam chain on a 200s.
If the Kawi 160 engine is like the kawi 110 engine (I think it is) then you can do the same with it too.

Put the chain over the crank first and then feed a wire down the chain passage and tie it to the chain then pull the chain up.

Huffa
02-14-2005, 04:38 PM
"Put the chain over the crank first and then feed a wire down the chain passage and tie it to the chain then pull the chain up."

That seems backwards to me. Why not let gravity work with you and simply drop the chain down from the top?

Also, you don't have to drain the oil if you have the thing tilted a bit with a jack stand. Might be easier to drop the chain down though with it level.

dooner17
02-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Thanks a lot guys. Really starying to get an understanding. I have no idea how to work the flywheel puller but I'm willing to learn how. I have a cam chain for a 2001 Xr200 and I'm going to check to see if it will fit.

83185s
02-14-2005, 06:22 PM
its lefthand threaded..meaning when u put the big bolt into the flywheel u have to twist it counter clockwise to turn it in..then the part with the handle you turn to the right but have something keeping the flywheel from moving..like jamming a screwdriver in between the flywheel cage and the shift lever..it works and doesnt bend anything..well maybe trailprotrailpro screwdriver if it aint big enough..once u pull off the old one put the new one in form the top..its alot easier

dooner17
02-14-2005, 07:31 PM
ok thanks, does anyone know if a 2001 Xr200 cam chain will fit a 1984 200s?

MTS
02-14-2005, 07:38 PM
yep the chains are the same i just checked... :)

bigredhead
02-14-2005, 07:49 PM
I"ve read about using a penny instead of a screw driver to stop it from rotating.. soft copper will bend before hardened steel.. and 1 penny is as cheap and available as it gets.

dooner17
02-14-2005, 08:26 PM
Thanks a lot I'm planning on putting them in soon. Just ripped around for an hour on the 160 and it didnt seem to rattle that bad when going. The tensioner is missing a bolt so i'm going to try replacing that first.

HaggLE
02-15-2005, 03:56 PM
WELL THAT WILL DO IT! Why didnt you mention this earlier? The chain isnt going to be tight if the tensioner is missing a bolt. It will no doubt be fine once you have put this bolt back in. De adjust the adjuster before you put the bolt in and then retension. I wouldnt be riding it with it loose.

dooner17
02-15-2005, 05:46 PM
Oh, Two other people I talked to said its an automatic tensioner. The tensioner is on there tight but I never thought it might have a purpose decides holding it on. I'll put the bolt in tonight and see if it helps. The 200s has a slight rattle (not the valves) and the tensioner doesnt help at all( trying to adjust it.)

bigredhead
02-15-2005, 05:57 PM
I beleive some of the 250's have auto-tensioners.. the 200 's don't.

dooner17
02-15-2005, 06:26 PM
I know I mean on then kawi 160

thefox
02-15-2005, 07:29 PM
"Put the chain over the crank first and then feed a wire down the chain passage and tie it to the chain then pull the chain up."

That seems backwards to me. Why not let gravity work with you and simply drop the chain down from the top?

Also, you don't have to drain the oil if you have the thing tilted a bit with a jack stand. Might be easier to drop the chain down though with it level.

If you put it on the top first then you won't be able to get it over the crank. Chains don't bend very well side to side.

Huffa
02-15-2005, 08:06 PM
If you put it on the top first then you won't be able to get it over the crank. Chains don't bend very well side to side.

As soon as the timing chain comes in & I do it I'll let you know but I think your wrong.

thefox
02-15-2005, 08:27 PM
As soon as the timing chain comes in & I do it I'll let you know but I think your wrong.

Well hopefully I am wrong because it would make it easier. Like I said before it has been a while since I swapped out cam chains. It seems like all my other trikes have needed allot more then just a cam chain so the whole engine was disassembled. Some day I will buy a running trike!

Huffa
02-15-2005, 09:06 PM
Well hopefully I am wrong because it would make it easier. Like I said before it has been a while since I swapped out cam chains. It seems like all my other trikes have needed allot more then just a cam chain so the whole engine was disassembled. Some day I will buy a running trike!

Now that was funny! :D :beer

dooner17
02-15-2005, 10:14 PM
YeaH I put the bolt in and it made no difference. At times the top end is silent but then it will slap for a second and go away.