PDA

View Full Version : flywheel install

Trikeaholic
02-12-2005, 11:16 AM
what is the trick to this? I know you shant whack it with a hammer! Do I need a helper to hold the motor from turning whilst I tighten the nut? Is it better to have the chain and sprockets installed so as to keep the motor from turning? Whats the proper method?

Im planning on working on the Z today, possibly some pics of the progress later.

atckowalski
02-12-2005, 12:11 PM
I just tap it on with my fist and use an impact wrench. :TrikesOwn

Trikeaholic
02-13-2005, 01:39 PM
that is what I thought,but is it right? can I knock the crank out of true or something??

busy44
02-13-2005, 02:04 PM
Its more about dislodging the magnets or breaking them I think. I used light taps when removing flywheels one side then the other. Some times you have to put a lot of force on the remover tool. Anyway thats my expierence.

Lots_Of_Nothing
02-13-2005, 02:26 PM
Holic, you can tap it on, use a rubber hammer and dont smack it like you wanna break it, LOL, just lightly.. You dont wanna up mess the magnets, and you dont want to push the bearings sideways. The bearings are not made to take much stress side to side, so they wont handle much. To tighten it down you can use an impact and that wont hurt it, or what I like to do is have the engine in the bike with the chain on, throw it in gear, and have a buddy sit on it and hold the brake while you tighten it,. Or if you have the engine out, and you have the other sidecase off, you can use a clutch basket holder on the basket while you tighten it.

TimSr
02-13-2005, 02:46 PM
Ive always used an air impact, and my orginal flywheel is still going strong. The magnets wereent made by Kawasaki! If you are really worried about it though, you can get on of those rubber strap wrenches, similar to an oil filter wrench, that the sell at Sears.

Before I used an impact, I would put the bike in gear, put a ratchet on it and give it a few whacks with a normal sized hammer. Its sounds abusinve, but its not really any harder on it than gunning the throttle. It doesnt need to be extremely tight, but Ive always couple it with locktite on the threads and where the flywheel seats on the shaft after a few sheared woodruff keys.

Trikeaholic
02-13-2005, 04:14 PM
thanks, its on and producing electricity, just got to find out why its not getting to the plug!