PDA

View Full Version : Restoring Brake Rotors Help!!

Orangecnty250r
02-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Dropped all of my 86 Tecate parts off at the powder coater today and I'm going to polish all of my aluminum stuff over the course of the next week until my fingers stop working. Buts heres my problem My rotors look like crap!! Even the rough inset is rusty I snapped two allen key sockets getting this front one off and the back one is not off the hub yet. Letting the WD 40 soak in, stripped one bolt already (not happy about that).

What do you guys do? Is chroming the only way to go? Any other suggestions? No chromers around me. I will ship to a reputable chromer if anybody knows someone. And if chroming is the only way to go how much is average $$ per disc. Any help would be appreciated.

trikezilla
02-12-2005, 05:35 PM
Cant you just buy new ones????? I only ask because idk if any one makes them for your machine...not to be rude

Trikeaholic
02-12-2005, 05:39 PM
I do not think those can be plated! Just scoth-brite the heck out of them I guess. Thats what Im doing to the Z, but the rear has some deep grooves in it. I dont think they are plated at all, it would peel from the heat. Use either Norton "bear-tex" or another non woven polishing abraisive pad. Maroon works best, not to coarse, not too fine.

Orangecnty250r
02-12-2005, 06:07 PM
I'll try the above. Parts fish had them listed for 180.00 a piece !!! I am not cheap in any way but that seemed steep to me. I did a search and it looked like x system had his plated (thread had word "bling" in it. I tried a wire brush wheel and it started smoothing out the rough area of the rotor and didn't do to much to brighten as in did in other parts. I'll hit the garage again.

Troll 2
02-12-2005, 06:14 PM
Sounds like a great project. I know the honda rotors are stainless steel. I put them on a leathe and scothbrite them. Then polish the center. Good luck........... :beer

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2144

Darius1502
02-12-2005, 06:15 PM
Sand them down with some light sand paper, BUT do it in a circular motion. Or better yet...Make a 'taco' with the sand paper and then rotate the wheels.

Orangecnty250r
02-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Holy rear assembly!!!!

Lots_Of_Nothing
02-12-2005, 07:33 PM
All you can really do is polish the heck outa them, throw in a good movie, take a seat and get a handfull of fine sandpaper or a scotchbright pad and go to work.

One thing I can say is lose the wd40, thats not going to do anything to them. Get yourself some PB Blaster, you will notice the difference. wd40 is good for lubricating rusty parts, but it cant penetrate for nothing.

x.system
02-12-2005, 09:09 PM
I'll try the above. Parts fish had them listed for 180.00 a piece !!! I am not cheap in any way but that seemed steep to me. I did a search and it looked like x system had his plated (thread had word "bling" in it. I tried a wire brush wheel and it started smoothing out the rough area of the rotor and didn't do to much to brighten as in did in other parts. I'll hit the garage again.

I had mine plated but they screwed up, I was after a show chrome and all they did was a flash chrome, it looks like that chrome powder coat. I sanded mine down with a bodyshop orbital sander with 80 grit to get the grooves out then cleaned them up with 180 grit. Took me about 10 minutes for one disc. I paid $25 per disc for the chrome but have taken them back so they could do it right.

ATC crazy
02-13-2005, 04:31 PM
Get some Kroil or PB Blaster for the penetrating. They are the best on the market. If you havent looked already, look for a new rotor.