PDA

View Full Version : timing on 1983 200e

3wheelsbramptn
02-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Hi fellows! I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to set the timing on my honda 83 200 e. Also there is oil leaking from the bottom of my CDI box even though I changed the O-ring. I would apreciate some advice Thanks!

200xkwit
02-11-2005, 07:13 PM
yea the oil leaking thing happends to my 200x engine too. it like leaks out of the bottom of the cdi box and runs along the fin and shoots off olmost to the front tire. it took me a while to find it. the only way ive come across fixing this is to put some silicone in there and let it dry for a day or too.

3wheelsbramptn
02-11-2005, 07:19 PM
O.K. I wasen't sure that there was supposed to be oil there but I will try to seal it with silicone Thanks!

Oldshell4481
02-11-2005, 07:33 PM
remove the timing inspection hole cap located on the left side of the engine and connect the timing light and tachometer.
start the engine and let it run until it reaches normal operating temperature. with the engine idling at the specified rpm, check the timing by aiming the light into the inspection hole.
The timing is correct if the F mark on the generator motor is aligned with the index mark on the left crankase cover.
if the marks are not aligned remove the pulser generator cover (located on the top left side of the engine) and loosen the baseplate mounting screws slightly. turn the baseplate as required by inserting a screwdriver into the slot at the right side of the plate.

This is just going by the Haynes honda workshop manual. it says the full advance timing is 30 degrees plus or minus to degrees below top dead center at 3350 rpms.

hope this helps
im just goin by my book, ive never had to adjust it before