PDA

View Full Version : Oil? Se/sf Sj?

thBriGuy
02-11-2005, 02:13 AM
OK, I've searched the forums several times, and I've gotten more and more confused. The manual says to use 10W-40 se or sf class oil. Many say they use standard automotive (SL) oil, but some have reported clutch problems. So...

I stopped by a nearby motorcycle shop on the way home from work the other night, and started looking for 4 stroke oil SE/SF, but couldn't find any. I explained what I needed to the guy at the counter, and he told me I could use the SJ class oil, which they had plenty of.

Anyone know anything of this? I don't mind paying the extra cost if this is the right oil to use.

Also, I assume that I shouldn't use lucas oil stabilizer...

83185s
02-11-2005, 05:25 PM
just get some bell ray thumper oil..high performance oil for atc,dirtbike,atc engines...its good stuff

TimSr
02-11-2005, 06:03 PM
"10W-40 se or sf class oil " pretty much means standard automotive oil. Its not going to give you clutch problems, but if you have that fear, any 4 stroke oil made for motorcycles is specifically desingned for wet clutch machines, and meets all your MFG's specifications. The problem with old specs are that they do include obsolete things no longer made and do not include new improved replacement products that work better than then old stuff. (My Dodge manual says to use Dextron II Tranny Fluid, and all I can find is Dextron III) Anything in your motorcycle shop for a 4 stroke cycle, plus your local aoutomtive store may carry some great MC products, such as Mobile 1 synthetic MC oil. Just make sure you arent using a crankacse oil made specifically for two strokes.

StangLX302
02-11-2005, 08:27 PM
I think your stressing out over this a bit too much.

I just use the 99 cent auto parts store brand oil. They tell me it's just made by Valvoline and packaged in a different bottle. I change it often though. Original 25 year old clutch and NO problems what so ever.

TravEX
02-11-2005, 10:49 PM
i have always used Valvoline 10w40 in all my Honda's and not had any problems,,,i do change them often (bout twice a year),,,i use the Synthetic Polaris oil in the ATP, cause the Polaris dealership is very close by, and it's used every day feeding on the dad's farm,,,later

thBriGuy
02-12-2005, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the input. I'll soak it all in :beer
Hoping to get back to work on the motor tomorrow, if the rain lets up. It was too windy last saturday to open the crankcase, and sunday, well lets just say the (mediocre) Superbowl interfered.