PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble removing rear axle on atc90 (pics.)

Wayne_Hill
02-10-2005, 12:02 AM
I'm trying to put in new axle bearings on my atc90, I have done everything the manual has told me to and the next step says to just pull the axle out from the left side. I tried pulling it, hitting it with a mallet but it just wont budge. Here is a link to some pics. of the rear hub http://community.webshots.com/album/176777208OVyUFT . Any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Jason T
02-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Looks to me like you have done everything you should have, i guess the axle is rusted in to the bearings. Try hitting it again, but be carefull with the threads and splines, hold a block of wood on the end of the axle and have another go at hitting it. But as it says in the book they normally slide out easily :wondering

Jason T

bigredhead
02-10-2005, 04:11 PM
Removing on the sproket side right ?

Those splines on the right side for the brake ?

Gotta love clymer instructions for a 3 month old machine... sheesh... had many of those episodes lately !

" Remove bolts , remove cover "... more like Curse Swear, break rusted nut, aply liquid wrench and let soak a week, try again, drink beer.. curse more...

good luck

crackshot
02-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Soak the piss outta it with penetrating oil.
Don't use WD-40. It evaporates to quickly.

bigredhead
02-10-2005, 04:49 PM
Oh.. btw..

support the oposite side of the frame you are hitting against with something solid, so that the impact of the hammer does'nt get absorbed, but gets concentrated on the axle..

Hard to explain.. but

When i was trying to remove the front axle from by big red ES, the thing would not budge.. ( and trust me we tried HARD ) the problem is that when hitting the axle on one side of the fork, the oposite fork was flexing and taking the hit.. Got my friend to plant his foot ( sorry george.. did'nt mean to slip.. LOL ) on the oposite fork leg and to the ground.. hit it a few times and she came loose just like that.

hope it helps !

MTS
02-10-2005, 05:08 PM
soak it in penetrating oil, have someone hold a block of wood on the end of the axel on the right side, then take a sledge hammer and giver er a good wack

Rex Karz
02-10-2005, 06:14 PM
Axle removal trick: connect a piece of really heavy chain 8 foot long or so to the opposite end you have been hammering on. Use it like a slide hammer to yank the axle out of the carrier. Works ok for car axles, too.