PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever had an clutch "grab" too much?

Yamahauler
02-09-2005, 10:32 PM
i just put my motor back together the other day, when i reassembled the secondary clutch, i lubed it up with transmission oil. Now ive got it together, i put it in gear and and it starts moving. its like the clutch is sticking or something.

thefox
02-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Is the idle set too high?

Yamahauler
02-09-2005, 11:01 PM
nope, it idles normal. maybe if i took the clutch off and cleaned all the parts in solvent, re lubed it and put it back on, maybe that will work.
thefox, you sure know a lot about YTM's every question i have your usually the one to answer. thanks!

4cylinders
02-09-2005, 11:39 PM
hey, those are made to use oil, the atf is made to not slip, so you may want to just drain it and put in fresh oil.

thefox
02-10-2005, 12:04 AM
If you did use atf then you might want to try cleaning then off like 4cylinders, said if that is not it I don't know what else to suggest.

I have worked on a few tri-motos so I can picture the insides of the engine fairly well. I am surprised that more people don't respond to your questions, the Yamaha trikes are not that much different then the Hondas.

Yamahauler
02-10-2005, 01:59 AM
i used manual trans oil, thats what the manual called for, well actually just trans oil it said

4cylinders
02-10-2005, 09:23 PM
hey, do you have a service manual? what does it say to use? It should give a weight. most bikes use like 10w-40 motor oil. If you used gl80-90 it's going to be a little trickey.

Yamahauler
02-13-2005, 07:35 PM
it says in the manual...

CAUTION
If either or both friction plates have been replaced with new ones or if they were cleaned, apply new clutch/transmission oil to all plate surfaces. This will prevent the plates from burning up when used for the first time.

it doesnt give any weight to use.

ClayW
02-13-2005, 07:46 PM
Well everything I have read and been told says that in most cases you wont to use ATV or Motorcycle oil for wet clutch applications. Regular oil has anti wear inhibitors that can cause the clutch to slip and not grab. TimSR can prob give you a good answer to your problem. Im betting that the oil you have put in is too thick which casues the plates to have excessive build up on them and therefore making continuous contact. Manual tranny oils viscosity is way different than motor oil. Do the yamahas have seperate fill points for the tranny and engine? I know that hondas dont. :beer