PDA

View Full Version : how to make an 85 tecate kick ass??? T3 guys get in here

200x Basket
01-19-2003, 11:36 PM
i want it to scream. I know the usual, pipe, reeds, carb, silencer, shave head, but i want some real power out of it. I was told that it had the nicasil liner pressed out and a steel one pressed in. it has some sort of pipe on it and i have a 39mm keihin flatslide to go on it.

tell me your T3 combo!!!!

djcheez
01-20-2003, 12:20 AM
get a big bore, and have someone hog those ports out. try a pvl ignition. that is about it if you have done everything else. maybe try alcohol, though i never used it. find someone who knows those motors to do a good port job, that is about all you can do

01-20-2003, 12:40 AM
Lets see.......

My 84 Tecate has a sleeved & ported cylinder, milled head, PSI pipe, a bassani pipe, advanced timing 4 degrees, 38mm Mikuni TM, boyesen dual stage reeds....I think you can go bigger on the bore size and run a jet ski piston. I didnt want to mess with it..my 84 runs pretty hard for an old trike

CartmanKXT250
01-20-2003, 12:41 AM
dammit i wasnt logged in again................

I'm trying to sell my tecate posted above for $600..it needs a piston and a bore job.

86waterpumper
01-20-2003, 10:25 AM
you can punch them out to around 289 or 290 if memory serves correctly, this w/ the mods you previously mentioned, such as compression, pipe, reeds, etc and some good quality porting it out to get out of it's own way pretty good ;p

Jeb
01-20-2003, 11:59 AM
I don't know much about PVL ignitions. The availability of it is a big plus. If you can hunt up the parts, I would use a KX250 ignition. Just change out the flywheel, stator, coil, and CDI. I'm not sure how late a year model you can switch out with. The KX iginition is way better than the Tecate but you can't run lights. You could also switch out the whole top-end with an 83/84 KX if you can find a good one.

The electro-fused cylinder coating cannot be pressed out. There is no sleeve in a stock Tecate motor. The cylinder has to be bored out to accept a sleeve. Not a big deal but you can also have that cylinder re-plated.

My 84 had a Pipe, silencer, reeds, and a 38mm Mikuni Flatslide. Nothing fancy but not stock. It was stock geared (13/42 if I remember right) and didn't have much lowend at all. It was tuned spot on. It had an almost uncontrolable top end hit. Slapping the throttle open and slipping the clutch was like setting off an explosion. For me it was too much for anything but going in a straight line. Sad thing was it didn't have a very high top speed, but it got there quick.

:-D

MIK6
01-20-2003, 07:40 PM
I have to agree w/ JEB. A KX 250 is a Tecate savior. ON my 87 Tecate I run a KX 250 ignition, the flywheel is smaller and lighter. I also run a KX 250 head gasket, its thinner == MORE compresion. I also have a KX 250 rod kit, its also lighter / stronger. I run a V-Force reed cage too. After that its just the standard stuff; good reeds, good gaskets, carb work, jetting, airbox mods, and play w/ the gearing till you find what works for your trike (front / rear sprockets and rear tire size). Make sure your shock / forks are in good condition too or you will never put the power down.

GOOD LUCK
MIK6 / Mike