PDA

View Full Version : front fork bolt 250 sx

straight pipe
02-09-2005, 02:36 PM
hey crew! need advise. i blew my front wheel bearing last weekend. i will change it soon but i can't get the long bolt to loosen up. i tried a while back when i change the brakes and that bolt wouldn't go. how do you loosen it up. i have tried a mac tools impact and nothin.i think i can change the bearing without removing to bolt but it would make my life alot easier if i can drop the tire off the forks. :(

footer
02-09-2005, 05:20 PM
try a wrench and a cheater pipe, and or heat it up with a torch. If all else fails cut it off and get a new one. If you can change that bearing without taking that bolt out it would be a new one for me.

bigredhead
02-09-2005, 05:27 PM
You loosened up the 4 bolts on the right side.. .. right ?

then unscrew the long bolt from the other leg..... carefull with the heat.. oil in that fork !!!

Seized bolts suck......... good luck. Soak that sucker with penetrating oil...

straight pipe
02-09-2005, 07:01 PM
thanks guys! ya i lossened off the four bolts on the right side and nada. well i'll try it again. i have a bud who owns a machine shop and i'll let him try. if all else fails i'll change the front end. i have a line on a 200x frame and the front is all there from what i hear. then i can at least have one disk brake.and better shocks to boot. i thought of heating it up but was afraid of the wrecking the shock.but if we ease up alittle on the torch it should work. thanks again!!

Dirtcrasher
02-09-2005, 11:01 PM
It's most likely not the bolt and the fork threads that are casuing the problem.

There is a collar or spacer on that front axle and it seizes itself onto the axle and then that axle just will not come loose or out.

I forget which side the sx brake housing slips into the fork boss but if it's not the threaded side then you can slide the forks out of the triples and then spin the fork leg on the threaded side to get one fork off but you'll still have the other one to deal with.

Have your buddy set it up in a milling machine and either drill or end mill most of the axle out and deal with it that way.

Careful with a torch near aluminum, melts just like butter in a microwave....