PDA

View Full Version : Rim and tire questions in general...kind of

trikezilla
02-08-2005, 10:36 PM
I am thinking about new rims for my R and i was wondering what size you guys think would be best to run. here are my questions:

I am more for accelertaion than top speed so should i buy aftermarket rims that are the same size (8 in.) and run smaller tires like 18s or 20s?

What tires size is more common/cheaper: tires for 8 inch rims or tires for nine inch rims?

do you have any suggestions on RIMS? do you have any pics of real nice setups??

thanks
-Charlie :TrikesOwn

TimSr
02-09-2005, 01:15 AM
Rims dont have anything to do with gearing since you can get 18, 20 or 22" tires in 8" or 9" for most brands and models. 9" Tires are a lot more common when looking for used ones than 8". If you put the same size tire on a smaller irm, the rim is better protected for rocky stuff. If you put the same size tire on a larger rim, you get less weight. Douglas and ITP both make nice aluminum rims. I wouldnt get anything thinner than .190's though.

Rex Karz
02-09-2005, 02:57 AM
22" wooly boogers for the winter, 18" duros for the summer.

Huffa
02-09-2005, 06:19 AM
I am thinking about new rims for my R and i was wondering what size you guys think would be best to run. here are my questions:

I am more for accelertaion than top speed so should i buy aftermarket rims that are the same size (8 in.) and run smaller tires like 18s or 20s?

What tires size is more common/cheaper: tires for 8 inch rims or tires for nine inch rims?

do you have any suggestions on RIMS? do you have any pics of real nice setups??

thanks
-Charlie :TrikesOwn

Are you aware you can stay with the stock set up and just go a few teeth more on rear sprocket (quicker but less top speed) to acheive your goal. You could also go 1 less on the front but I'd never do that myself and always add to the rear.
What type of riding do you do? Smaller tires = lower chassie. I for sure wouldn't want that if your going to be meeting up with a lot of rocks!

trikezilla
02-09-2005, 06:25 PM
Yes..i realize all that about the gearing...i could just get different sprokets if i wanted to change it. i just want some mean tires/wheels that wont mess with the way its geared currently....

i am currently running 22s in the winter also...btw, i dont really ride in areas with big rocks so havin it a little closer to the ground wouldnt be a problem

TIM SR: so you are saying that 9 in. rims would be the most logical thing to get?? What do you mean by: " 9" Tires are a lot more common when looking for used ones than 8" ????

now i guess my basic question is: are 9 in rims a good bet, if i want good performance and dont want to have to pay a bunch for tires?

TimSr
02-09-2005, 11:33 PM
What I mean by that is that almost all adult sport quads now use 9" rear rims as stock, with the Blaster being about the only exception I can think of. If you are loking for used tires, theer area lot more 9" ones available. If you are buying new ones, it doenst make much difference since just about everything you can find in a 9", you can also get in an 8".