PDA

View Full Version : can you still slide your trike with paddles

OZQUAD44
02-08-2005, 05:03 AM
I'm considering buying some Kenda "Geckos" Paddle tyres for my tecate, will paddles still allow me to slide around corners or will they take a bit of fun out of the bike. My standard tyres are getting a bit long in the tooth.
Are there any normal knobbie tyres out there that hook up really well in the sand?

atcmatt
02-08-2005, 06:21 AM
Cant answer your question mate but where abouts in Australia are you ?

Cheers,

Matt

NOS_350X
02-08-2005, 11:12 AM
With the geckos you still will be able to slide, but it will be cut down on how well you will be able to do it. V blade paddles makes sliding much easyer.

Red Rider
02-08-2005, 02:20 PM
I've run both straight paddles & V's, and while the V's are "supposed to" turn easier, I don't notice much difference. Maybe if I could jump back & forth between similar bikes, 1 with straight paddles & the other with V's, I might notice a difference. As for sliding, neither of those paddle tires slide very well. When you're sliding, you're on the gas, and with paddle tires, when you're on the gas, the front end gets very light & wants to claw at the sky. So, while you do lose a little bit of the fun factor, when it comes to sliding, you'll gain an excitement factor in the unexpected wheelie department. :w00t:

CHAINSAW
02-08-2005, 02:38 PM
a lot also depends on what type of sand it is, what machine. Around here, I can slide pretty good on my Zs, with V or straight paddled tires (with limits.. Im not talking 12 paddle haulers or nothing)

some of us at MWT like to play roost tag. Doing that you have to be able to slide well.

AZ250R
02-08-2005, 05:08 PM
Thats just a good all around "loose turf" moving tire. Its gotta be the most durable "true" paddle on the market. You can blast through loose sand/dirt/gravel with good traction, then cruise down a gravel road or cross over loads of pavement without much tire wear. Tire pressure with them doesn't make much difference either having such a strong/stiff sidewall. They would "run-flat" back to camp really well... not that you'd want to do that but... :rolleyes:

Mr. Sandman
02-08-2005, 05:20 PM
If you've got the HP, and I do, all paddle tires will slide. :p

HRC1
02-08-2005, 09:06 PM
I am to the point where i will not run paddles on my 250r in the dunes because i cannot side hill slide or turn quicky. They also suck a bunch of top end out of it.Bike is piped and has a k&n but otherwise stock. I use stock 250r tires or otsu radials from the 88 250r quad or 450r. And i can still wheelie down hills, but thats freeriding also, drag racing is a diff story.

Red Rider
02-09-2005, 02:05 AM
HRC1, according to Mr. Sandman, more HP will be the cure for all your woes.

hondagrant
02-09-2005, 05:40 AM
I run an old pair of dune sliders on my 200x and they slide pretty good.My mate runs geckos on his 84r good tyres but they tend to hook up rather than slide.

OZQUAD44
02-09-2005, 09:59 AM
AZ250R said "Thats just a good all around "loose turf" moving tire."
I assume you mean the Gecko AZ? If so they may fit the bill?

I'm In Brisbane atcmatt, weve spoken before. I've got the Tecate and I used to have an ATC250es just like yours when I was a kid. I've even got a spare boot lid for one in my shed and a detachable headlight, I'm not sure if I really want to part with the light though.

Anyway back to the the Paddle tyres. Thanks for the feedback guys I think I might just buy a decent knobby tyre rather than go for a paddle, My Tecate allready loves to do wheelies on me at the most awkward times, Like on the change from Third to Fourth on a sight rise whilst getting up it. Makes for a sore bum and a trashed grab bar. I think I just want a knobbie with a little better bite than the 18year old tyres that I run on it now (bloody thing should be in a museum, eh). I had the power to go up any hill but the stock tyres are just a bit hard so they wouldn't really give any drive once the sand got a bit loose towards the top of a hill.

There Is a knobby i have in mind, I think its called a fast tracker, (remember Tecate rear rims are 10") The center row of Knobbs is shaped like a scoop but the rest of the knobbs are like a normal knobby tyre. Does anyone know what I'm on about? anyone used one?

asc180
02-09-2005, 12:02 PM
I had them on a 200x(fast trekkers) and they sucked. My uncle tried them at Silver Lake last year on his Raptor and it was pretty much worthless unless he keep moving and didn't stop. I will say they are good tires for just normal sand,gravel, and hard pack but for the dunes it is a no go.

AZ250R
02-09-2005, 01:53 PM
AZ250R said "Thats just a good all around "loose turf" moving tire."
I assume you mean the Gecko AZ? If so they may fit the bill?
Yes, thats what I said & I mean every bit of it!!! :beer
I have a set of Geckos on 10" rims, however, I use them up north in the mountains @ a place called the Cinders. They will work just as good in the sand but I like the super light straight hookup of "haulers" instead. :naughty: