PDA

View Full Version : 87 Tecate rebuild at end of phase one

OZQUAD44
02-07-2005, 07:08 PM
After some elbow grease and a large injection of cash my Tecate is staring to come together.

third attempt at adding a picture

Orangecnty250r
02-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Any Pictures I'm in phase one myself. I had alot of surface rust to deal with my frame is ready to be powdercoated.

sportvette
02-07-2005, 08:10 PM
lets see some pics of these tecates.

Orangecnty250r
02-07-2005, 10:39 PM
Here some pics of it together this past week and the frame now. I stripped most of the frame and getting ready for the full restore to take place over the next 6-8 weeks. I pretty excited about getting this one back together.

OZQUAD44
02-08-2005, 04:22 AM
Heres another two shots of it. What do you think

RacerRichie
02-08-2005, 09:24 AM
Wicked!
I am also ready for the powdercoat shop....
I keep finding parts I want to coat :-)

Orangecnty250r
02-08-2005, 09:36 AM
Looks like you were in the same situation I was in. This is my first tecate. I rubbed an area of my swinger and it looks like sweet aluminum under mine. I'm Trying to decide whether to polish or powder coat this piece. How's your axle -I cleaned mine up nice but minimal pitting so I don't think chroming is an option. Have some people had their rotors chromed. Mine need some help.

ScottZJ
02-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Looking good guys. You need to get a tank bra and that sucker will look super nice. I am debating about tearing my tecate down and powder coat and polish it up. I have a nice extended swing arm piece with billet nut from Hagen in Germany and my tecate needs cleaning up before they get installed. LOL

Orangecnty250r
02-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Nice ScottZJ. I have a tank bra for mine (from CEET Gerung) but i'm also going to have an extra tank that will have no gas put in it professionally color matched and painted for show. When I take her out to stretch its legs I'll put the other thank on.
I took the top bolt out of the triple clamps and having some trouble getting it off . Any hints --Am i overlooking something stupid?? W'ell have to update this thread every now & then to keep eachother posted about our tecate progress. Any other Tecate restorers out there.

sportvette
02-08-2005, 09:00 PM
i need to get powder coating done myself. i just found out my cousin can do it for me, lucky me. i now have two 86 tecates. i will start up again this summer.

i would polish the swingers. thats nice orangecounty, you have a stock silencer and the chain and brake rotor skid plates. i have only one set, they are hard to find so hold on to them.

nice pictures guys. thats getting me going. i need to start building. :Bounce

AirManCam
02-08-2005, 10:04 PM
Nice t3's, hope you never break a right shroud though LOL

69HemiGTX
02-08-2005, 11:47 PM
You guys have some beautiful Tecates going together. :beer I am a huge fan of green bikes, and I have drooled over 86-87 Tecates ever since I first saw them. There is a gorgeous one that comes out to the dunes back home every once in a while. I think it's from Texas. I've talked to the owner, and he has no plans of selling anytime soon. Where are y'all getting the plastic from? I thought it wasn't available from the dealer anymore. I know that Maier completely ignores the 86-87 models, so I have no clue where y'all are buying such sweet plastic.

OZQUAD44
02-09-2005, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the replys gents. I couldn't believe the amount of replys this thread generated, I was in heaven reading some of them. Were have you guys been hiding. As for your questions and In no particular order..

Some Factory plastic is still available, rear fender and L/Hand radiator shrouds I recently purchased new. Aftermarket manufacturers have got NUTHIN! (I'm a bitter man about that I can tell you)

I love that swing arm extender, I copied your photo if you don't mind. I don't know where to start but I'm going to get one of those suckers made for sure.

I haven't rubbed the axle back yet so I don't know its condition, I wasn't sure if the swingarm was alloy or not, but now I know thanks. Looks great polished, Its just hard work to get it to that state of shine

The tank bra is probably going to come next, A home made one since gerund? isn't on the net, Its hard to get things like that here in Australia.

Well fellow Tecate Lovers this has been awesome but I've got to go, I look forward to an update of your restorations. If I can help out any I'm on this site a fair bit.

Remember, green is mean and 86/87 models are the meanest!!!!!

ScottZJ
02-09-2005, 11:27 AM
Hey bra, if you need closer pics of that extension piece, I can get more. Just give me a shout............peace