PDA

View Full Version : a cheap way to recover a seat tip

trimoto55
02-03-2005, 02:51 PM
if anyone needs cheap way to recover a seat well you could goto the nearest walmart and buy a yard of black vinyl for 4 bucks a yard. A yard can do about 3 seats ...well i did mine this morning and it looks superb

Quickonstep
02-03-2005, 03:03 PM
lets see a pic!

Jesse

AZ250R
02-03-2005, 03:20 PM
lets see a pic!

Jesse
Yah :mad: This thread is USELESS without PICS IMO!!! :rolleyes:

trimoto55
02-03-2005, 04:03 PM
i'll try to get some up within a few days i gotta borrow a digi cam...so stay tuned

Derrick Adams
02-03-2005, 04:04 PM
I covered mine for $2.25. JoAnn Fabrics has any kind of vinyl you can think of!

Used a heavy duty stapler and 1/2" staples. Took about 45 minutes.

TheOlderFox
02-03-2005, 04:41 PM
I have recovered a number a seats now, with a little time and a sewing machine, they can look pretty good. As a matter of fact I will be recovering a seat for 350XinNY tonight or tomorrow. Here are a couple of the last ones I did.

Tri-Z Pilot
02-03-2005, 04:51 PM
I suppose you could even go crazy and stitch some custom logos on the seat too. Thanks for the tip, I never thought about doing a cover with store bought materials, would save a lot of $.

TheOlderFox
02-03-2005, 04:59 PM
You would need a specialty machine in order to do logos in thread, but anything is possible.

kando
02-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Do you have to use any special thread or needle on machine to sew it. I was just wondering as I have to make a whole new seat for my 125 yt including the bottom as mine is rusted out. The only the thing good on it is the foam.

TheOlderFox
02-03-2005, 06:33 PM
I use heavy vinyl and nylon upholstry thread. Seems to work pretty well. If you use think vinyl you will need a heavy needle and machine to get through it though. Plenty of people (my old self included) have also just stretched and stapled so they didn't have to sew, This will leave wrinkles, but it is better than duct tape. I just want the nice fit so I have to put the seams in.

Darius1502
02-03-2005, 07:31 PM
I re-did my Tri Z...with regular vinyl. I never even broke out the sewing machine...all i did was match the color. Heat it up with a hair dryer and shrink to fit.

It works..and looks factory to me. The only thing it does not have is the Yamaha logo on back. The vinyl I chose looks alot brighter than the factory cover...so to me its an upgrade.http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=113

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=115

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=114

hrc85250r
02-03-2005, 08:44 PM
wow, thats a nice TRI-Z.......good job darius! awesome job on the seat too...

TheOlderFox
02-04-2005, 08:09 PM
Here's a pic of 350xinNY's seat that I just finished. Cheaper than buying one. 350x, it's on it's way to you tomorrow.

kando
02-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Darious1502 - That seat does look like factory. wow. Didn't know you could do that? How about some pointers as I can't sew and machine isn't big enough.

Darius1502
02-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Bro,

I did NO sewing on my seat. I covered my ATC 200s back in the 80's the same way. It takes:

1) alot of patience

2) some muscle

3) a heavy duty stapler

4) Hair dryer

You need to just strech the vinyl over the seat. Start from the tip of the seat to the end of the seat and strech the hell out of the vinyl. Warm it up with the hair dryer then put some staples in the front and the back. You have to keep it streched and your arms will be hurting. Its easier to do if youo have someone help.

One you to the tip and back then start on the sides. Its best to pull the left and right sides next. Almost like a '+' or plus sign. You start at the North then South, then East and then West.

The remainder of the seat is easy as you just staple around the edges and corners BUT streching and heating it up like a madman. It works and there wont be any wrinkles if you do it right.

Darius1502
02-04-2005, 10:15 PM
I'll also say that the best thing about this method is that there are NO seams. Most of the factory seats don't have sew marks.

How the hell do you think the factory seat covers are installed. Same way!

TheOlderFox
02-04-2005, 10:39 PM
I agree with darius, but I like the seams in the seat only if I can get them right. I have made better than a doz. seat covers now and have learned as I go. Just don't cheap on material or thread otherwise you will be recovering before you would like to.

For the staple, I have an electric 1/4" stapler that works well as long as I press into the plastic hard to avoid any kick back.

Just don't be afraid to try, if you machine doesn't need to be picture perfect, it can feel better to make it yourself then the buy.

kando
02-04-2005, 10:56 PM
Thanks I'll give it a try.