PDA

View Full Version : need some help with the new free 200x

jakey
02-02-2005, 09:14 PM
Hey guys, my friend just got a 1985 200x just like mine for free!!!! After i got mad and everything i went out to take a look at it and the motor runs well, but the swingarm is completely screwed up...I THINK....I looked at it and there are these huge scratches in the axle carrier...i mean like a half inch deep and a half inch wide...and they are completely random...they aren't like lined up or anything it is just like somebody went crazy with a chainsaw on this thing. I have never had the axle out of my x before so im not sure on how to rebuild this...Can somebody post a pic of their 200x swinger and tell me how to rebuild it.

and if anybody has a 200x swinger for sale then just let me know.

oh ya...what could have caused this? thanks...so now im all happy cause i get to restore his bike and he pays for everything :beer

later

atczack
02-02-2005, 09:19 PM
Maybe a derailed chain?

350x'inNY
02-02-2005, 09:21 PM
Where you live Jakey?? I got a couple/3 200X frames here.... quite weathered, but 2 of them have swingarms. Ones a 83 (tube) and other is a 84 or 85. 200xkwit... you ever coming down here????

Bruce

HaggLE
02-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Here is some pics from a parts catalog

speed20
02-02-2005, 09:53 PM
First, are you wanting to replace the bearings where the swingarm bolt is at? if so...take that bolt out, and there will be 2 dust seals(should just pull right off) after doing this, you need to get a punch or something to knock the bearings out (i used a propane torch to heat the bearings up, and they came out pretty easily on my 200x). then....heat the swingarm up (heat it up on the inside where the bearings are going to go) and put the bearings in (you may need a hammer, but do not use excessive force as the bearing cages will bend).

Now....if you are just wanting to replace the rear axle bearings do this ( i am recalling this from memory, as i do not have a 200x anymore) I took the hub/tires off of mine first.

2. take the chain and snap ring off(snap ring is located on the axle *holds the sprocket on*.

3. Disconnect the rear brake caliper.. and take the 1 or 2 (my 200x had 2 nuts) nuts off that hold the brake rotor on.

4. The axle should come out (SOMEONE PLEASE inform me if i am missing a step) and the axle WILL ONLY COME OUT FROM THE LEFT SIDE.....so push or tap (if your going to tap it...put a nut on the axle) it with a hammer (hit it from the brake caliper side) and the axle should come out...

5. There are 2 seals (one on each side of the axle carrier. take those out and there are the bearings....knock the bearings out, and put new bearings and seals in, and you should be ready to go.

chris200x
02-03-2005, 08:19 AM
Yes, I agree with speed20. your best bet would be to replace the swinger bearings now since your gonna be down there. There's a good chance that they are pulverized by now anyway. I got mine off of Dads on ebay-the whole rebuild kit for like $40. You have to make sure that the whole bearing race is removed. I had to grind mine out. Oh that swingarm bolt can be a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro to. Sometimes they are frozen in there. I know this cause I had to cut through mine with a saw zaw to remove it. I tried hammering it out but mushroomed the bolt. As for your axle, this is a new one for me. if there are 1/2 in. gauges in there I would not trust that so go ahead and replace that axle. That isn't that hard. I recommend you also check the axle bearings. This would be a good time to replace them if needed. That saves alot of work later on.

bigredhead
02-03-2005, 09:04 AM
A few pictures of those gouges would be very helpful !!!

jakey
02-03-2005, 09:13 PM
The axle and bearings are already out of the swinger. But now i have a clue of how to fit it back together. And as for the pics, i took some with my phone and uploaded them to the interet, they are surprisingly of good quality. And if somebody wants to post them for me (because i have absolutely no luck doing this) I will give you my password to sprint.pcs.com which the pictures are on.

thanks guys cause i really need help on this.

350x'inNy- i live in central Va...if you want to ship at a reasonable prince we might be interested.

chris200x
02-03-2005, 10:07 PM
I forgot to mention this before but when you are ready to install those swinger bearings or any other bearings for that matter. Make sure to use a rubber mallet or a block of wood inbetween the bearing and the hammer-this will prevent you from damaging the bearings.- Hope it helps