PDA

View Full Version : paint job

Milkman
02-01-2005, 02:32 PM
ok so i just sanded down an atc frame and im going to try and paint it using a spray gun. ive never painted wiht one before..so i looking for some help and/or tips..ie how much psi /spray patterns/etc.thanks

TheOlderFox
02-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Light coats to avoid drips, and the spray gun should have a psi working range for it. Airbrushes are around 5-8psi, larger guns 30-50psi, but don't quote me on that. You will probably need to thin the paint down too for the gun. I have done some paint work now, but the gun pressures aren't in my head.

Quickonstep
02-01-2005, 02:58 PM
most conventional spray guns have a working pressure of 60-80 psi, while HVLP guns have a working pressure of 20-30 psi.. airbrushes are about what theolderfox said.. and powdercoating guns run between 10-20 psi. You want to spray nice even coats, light ones, and dont go nuts with the coats.. thick coats will show alot of cracking while thin coats will be more prone to scratching. When you think you have enough on it, you probably do... You want a 10-15 inch path of spray @ about 14-15 inches away from the part your working on.. move steady, dont stop, and layer your work.

Jesse

Bill X_R
02-01-2005, 03:54 PM
The best advice I've ever recieved about painting; is never start or stop spraying on what you are painting.

Milkman
02-01-2005, 05:37 PM
thanks for all of that i just got home from school and im about to start it up
nice green frame for a 83 250r

GreenLightening
02-01-2005, 06:03 PM
A couple of things about painting frames.

turn your pattern down. that should be your top knob on the back of most spray guns. turn it clockwise so that your pattern is more of a round pattern then the usual fan spray. It will put the paint on heavier but you will get less of an overspray mess on yourself and everything else. its also easier to control. run your pressure at about 30 psi. practice on a piece of cardboard first so you get a feel for the gun.

Also frames are round which means they dont have any flat sides to spray so its easy to miss the insides of some of the pipes. Try to get in some good lighting where you can see in the shadowed parts of the frame. also, dont forget to wear a respirator, some of those enamel paints can make a guy feel like hell if you breath too much of them. I would give it at least two coats. maybe three if you are using light coats. Dont be afraid to put it on a little heavy, you want it to shine, if it doesnt shine after you spray it it will not shine when its dry. Dont be afraid to run it some, the best of us still run paint once and a while.

Practice a little first so you are comfortable with it, wear a mask and keep your eyes on what your doing and you will do fine.

Let us know how it goes.

Milkman
02-08-2005, 06:42 PM
hey it s been a while since ive been on..and thanks alot..it turned out real good..real good..thanks for all the help..what can i say i ran it a few times but nothing to bad..once i finsih rebuilding it ill send some pics in thanks