PDA

View Full Version : Antone know of a backyard method to putting tires on new rims?

StangLX302
02-01-2005, 11:53 AM
I can get the tires off of the old wheels easily enough, the old wheels are the stock split rims. The new rims are one peice. Is there anyway I can squeeze/pry the new tires on there? Or should I just bring them up and have them done?

x.system
02-01-2005, 11:56 AM
They are east to slip on with a little soapy water, wet the beads up and push them on.

StangLX302
02-01-2005, 11:58 AM
I'll give it a try. I just ordered the new rims from Dennis Kirk. They should be here in a few days. I'll let everyone know how it went.

TheOlderFox
02-01-2005, 12:18 PM
I have done tires using pry bars. The key is the wider the better so you don't risk hurting the bead. Also you will probably need another person. One person holds one bar to keep the tire from popping off the other works it around. Make sure to soap it up well. It can be done, it just takes time and patience for your first one. Of course it is more challenging the stiffer the tire. Good luck.

StangLX302
02-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Thank you.

OldSchoolin86
02-01-2005, 02:05 PM
They are east to slip on with a little soapy water, wet the beads up and push them on.
I've never needed anymore than this method ^^^ to get new tires on. It should be an easier job then your thinking. Good Luck.

ClayW
02-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Yeah its really not that hard. I learned from watchin my dad when I was a kid. The tough part is breaking the bead. But if you have split rim wheels you should be able to do it with no problem. I can. They are pretty easy to mount also. Mounting is often easier. I will have to say that some people have no clue. I took a tire and wheel up to one of these big "chain" tire shops. The guy broke the bead with the machine, then him and another guy tried to take the tire off. Couldnt do it. They loloked like a monkey @#$$ing a football. I opened the door and said just give it to me, I can get the tire off now that the bead is broke. I also told them they shouldnt be so dependant on machines to do the work for them. The seriously had no clue how to get the tire off the rim. :rolleyes: I took it home and had it off and the new tire on within 8 min. :D

Big_Red_Ryder
02-01-2005, 02:54 PM
I took it home and had it off and the new tire on within 8 min. :D

How did you get the tire off?????

AZ250R
02-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Run'n over em with like a golf cart or another trike, just the tire area around the rim, is the easiest way I've installed them. :beer

OldSchoolin86
02-01-2005, 03:09 PM
If the beads are broke then you can just slide them off with a little soapy water.

AZ250R
02-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Or run em over with a cart / quad / trike while someone stands on the rim! Seriously, this works great. :beer

OldSchoolin86
02-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Or run em over with a cart / quad / trike while someone stands on the rim! Seriously, this works great. :beer
He's asking after the beads are already broke. Running them over won't slide the tires off the rims.

ClayW
02-01-2005, 04:02 PM
LMAO Oldschoolin. Yeah once the bead is broke, they are a sinch to get off. I spent 8 bucks on ebay and got two ATV tire tools. I use them and a pry bar. You stick the bar/tools in and then let the bar rest on the rim lip. Then push the bar down flat. Where its touching the Rim with the tool in 2 spots. Then while you hold it grab another bar and go over a about 6 inches or so and do it again. Then one more time, bam the tire is off on that side of the tire. Some can be a little stubborn, but they are usually easy. The tough ones are where someone has put a small tire on a stock rim. For example stock tire of 22x11x8 and you have a 18x11x8 tire on there. They are a little tougher to work with, but no too bad. You have to understand. It isnt a easy subject to type about. :beer

AZ250R
02-02-2005, 07:38 PM
He's asking after the beads are already broke. Running them over won't slide the tires off the rims.
Rightie-0, run'n em over is just for mounting / unseat'n the bead IMO. We've strayed from the original topic I see... :rolleyes:

02blzrx
02-02-2005, 11:26 PM
Yeah Breaking the beads, Not so Easy. I have airbags on my truck. So I can raise and lower the suspension over and over. SO I put the tire under the Tounge of the hitch and lower the truck to almost the ground, really smashes the tire but nothing else. Sprayed with saopy water had the center of the fill valve out and I did that about 20-25 times rotating and never did get it off.

asc180
02-03-2005, 07:19 AM
I take a 2x8 place on the bead edge and drive my car on them to break the bead. They are easy after that. The hardest tire to deal with are them damn little lawn mower tires for the front. Either way anything you do is going to be a learning expeirence. You will most likely get real mad at first,cuss and swear and then pop it will go right on there.

Adam

StangLX302
02-06-2005, 03:00 PM
UPDATE:

Mother %&*#*@!, son of a &*%$#, *&^%$#^%!!!!!!!!

I give up. I'm taking them to the shop to get done. Oh well, at least I tried.

deathman53
02-06-2005, 03:14 PM
I have a local gas station break the beads and I do the rest. New tires and rims I mount myself. I use two large and long flat head screw drivers and dish washing soap. Its not too hard, once you do the first one, you get the trick.

asc180
02-06-2005, 03:15 PM
I told you that would happen. I know from expierence. That is why I pay the 15.00 and 10 minutes of time to have them done at the shop. Good luck.

Adam

ATCnut
02-06-2005, 03:37 PM
Tires for split (two piece) rims are differrent than the tires for one piece rims. the bead area on split rim tires are huge. You may not be able to put them on one piece rims at all.

StangLX302
02-08-2005, 11:04 AM
UPDATE

You guys ready to laugh at me? All that cussin' and fussin' for nothing. I went to the tire store and they did it for me for FREE. :eek:

I thought you guys might get a kick out of that.