PDA

View Full Version : how to set up a 350x for flat track?

454bowtie
01-31-2005, 01:32 AM
I could really use some info on how to set up my 86' 350x for flattrack racing.

jenndnn3
01-31-2005, 10:00 AM
Will you be racing it in Caldwell? There were some magazine articals, ill see if I can find em. But you need to drop the whole trike down.

Tri-Z Pilot
01-31-2005, 10:02 AM
Yeah, lower the rear suspension, bring the forks up through the tripple trees a little bit, get some low profile slicks (probably 18's on 10 inch rims), and shorten the swingarm. Of course this all depends on track conditions.

Tri-Z Pilot
01-31-2005, 10:36 AM
To get an idea for flat track, go to the 3ww homepage and look up magazine articles. They dont have any 350x flat track mods, but check out the others to get a feel for what you need.

KASEY
01-31-2005, 11:18 AM
so there going to let you race ? thats kool,,,, if its a one time shot,,, you can back all the preload off your rear shock and pull it down with a bike tiedown,,,, to get the rear down ,, on the front just slide the forks up in the clamps,,, make sure that you don't slide them up higher than the bars,,,, that could be dangerous, in a crash,,,
if it looks like something your going to do on a regular basis then you should get another front end and do some internal work so they only have like 3" of travel then you won't need to slide them up in the clamps,,, also get a measurement on the length of the rear shock at the height you like ,,, you can have a strut made,,, although i think a shorter shock is a better choice ,, if the track gets a little rough a little suspension helps to keep the tires on the ground better,,,,

NOS_350X
01-31-2005, 06:37 PM
Take the nitrogen outa trailprotrailpro rear shock. Back the spring off as far as it can go. These 2 will make you bike slamed in the back when you ride. In the front, blow your fork seals and move it up the tripple clams. and i belive you can like take out a spring in the fork but i'm not sure about that. Ive never taken a front fork appart. And get some hoosiers.

short4stuff
01-31-2005, 07:19 PM
lol nice advice there blow the fork seals and let the nitrogen out of the rear shock LOL...
sounds like my 200x .. but i didnt do it ok purpose :S :eek:

BigGreenMachine
01-31-2005, 09:53 PM
I would do as Kasey says and tie down the rear of your bike with some1 heavy sitting on it so the fenders sit close to the tires. That will lower your center of gravity. Some 20 or 18 inch Duros or Turf Tamers make a good flattrack tire for cheap. Raise the forks in the tripple trees.

Theres more stuff you can do like take off headlights, skidplates and anything worth shedding for less weight. The you can change your gearing to compensate for the smaller tires. Pretty sure Duro makes a flattrack front as well. The engine mods and wider axles would be a good mod.

TimSr
01-31-2005, 09:58 PM
Stick with Kaseys advice, unless youve decided that this will never be ridden for anything but flattrack ever again. When getting into anything, its best to start with modifications that can be reversed. Its a lot easiet to take a strap off the back than it is to get your shock rebuilt when you want to ride it somewhere else.

HaggLE
02-01-2005, 11:31 PM
Or get a different rear shock that is a different length so its lower...
I have also heard that you want the back suspension setup so that it rebounds VERY slowly. This is so that it squats in the rear allowing more weight on the rear wheels and more traction.

deathman53
02-01-2005, 11:50 PM
does the 350x have one or two springs in the forks? If you are gonna keep the bike for flat track, buy a progessive spring and cut it down, that will lower the front without raising the forks, for the shock I think you can use a 250x shock.

KASEY
02-02-2005, 12:48 AM
forget the shorter front springs,,,, it actually makes the frontend LIGHTER,,,
if you cut 4" off the spring to get it lower.... then it will travel up those 4" without the weight of the lower fork legs and the front tire,,, thus creating a lighter front end,,,, you would have to space the dampening rods up the same distance so you don't have that free travel ,,,,, then look out,,,, you will be in the weeds!!

350x'inNY
02-02-2005, 01:19 PM
The stock 350X fork springs have actually 2 springs.... a short (say 3") and a long one. I would not advise cutting up a new progressive spring, or would I advise removing the spring either. :rolleyes: