PDA

View Full Version : 1982 Honda ATC

Savage99
01-30-2005, 11:46 PM
Hey guys,

I bought a 1982 Honda ATC last fall and I am looking forward to restoring it a little for a dialy rider/hunting buggy. Don't have too much in the funds department thus the choice of trike...I did get a great deal on it. I need to get it running a little better, it runs rough and fouls spark plugs but I was hoping someone here had some experience doing these trikes up. I was hinking it would be nice to add some front suspension and some minor mods to inprove performance would be cool. Anyway any tips and suggestions would be appriciated. It needs a new gas tank (mines leaking) and a new seat so any tips on getting replacements for cheap would also be welcome. Thanks.

Mark.

JLurch58
01-30-2005, 11:54 PM
What model/cc is it, also some pics if you got em. I maybe able to help. a great place to get trike parts is Botson's cycle in ohio (a atv salvage yard) I used to get tons of parts from them.

Botson's # is 740-432-4610

bigredhead
01-31-2005, 12:07 AM
Check e-bay if you're into that... lots of cool stuff out there for cheap if you take your time and keep an eye out.

I'm assuming it's a 200, not a 250 R since you mention wanting front suspension, a few guys on these boards can tell you for sure what forks bolt up to what.

Gas tank, might want to read up on the " Cream" or " Kream " product, it's an interior coating liquid, an acid to clean it up, a neutralizer, and a final coating solution.

Seat covers are pretty cheap.. e-bay.

the 82 200 is a good (Light-Weight) bike, how's the bearings, chain and sprokets ?

Pistonhead
01-31-2005, 12:30 AM
Welcome to the 82 200 club. I'm currently making mine a mud machine and back woods monster. Many parts are available from:

www.atcheaven.com
www.bikebandit.com
www.denniskirk.com
www.wiseco.com (12:1 compression pistons!!!!!!!)
www.webcamshafts.com

Savage99
01-31-2005, 12:31 AM
It's an 1982 ATC200, sorry I thought that I mentioned that. I am in Alberta, Canada so some of the good deals you Americans get aren't so good once you factor in the dreaded shipping costs and duties our government charges. I would really like to get replacement seat and gas tanks as they are in rough shape. I was wondering wich tanks would fit. I have been checking ebay regularily.

I rebuilt the engine with the parts that I was given as the bike was not running when I bought it. I purchased it for $200 CAN and I have a box of extra engine parts (almost another complete motor and tranny) that came with it. So dollar wise I am not into it for very much. Once its running well I won't be adverse to putting some more time and money into getting it looking good as well. I have some friend who have or have had similar machines so I know they are good runners

Thanks for the advice so far and keep it comming.

Mark.

Pistonhead
01-31-2005, 12:40 AM
Hey nice to see another Alta boy on here! Both me and My Trike Sucks are from Alberta! Whereabouts in Alberta are you? I wish I could say I had some parts left over to sell you, but I gotta keep my parts, although there are an awful lot of 200's kickin' around Alberta that may just have the parts you need.

Check www.buysell.com

MTS
01-31-2005, 03:17 AM
HEY DUDE, long time no see, i ended up getting a '82 200 as well, i run a 38 pilot jet, and a 100 main, i cant remember my air screw settings, ill have to get back to you on that, as for parts, give recycle motorcycles salvage a call, there out in stony plain they got lots of parts for the's bikes there phone number is 963-2999 they will also take trades on other parts for stuff to, so good stuff, ill get my carb specs tommrow and post/pm you :)

Savage99
01-31-2005, 08:54 AM
I am from Edmonton and yes I havn't had time for the past while to work on the trike I picked up. Plus the weather around here has been the s**ts as you guys know...my garage is not heated so I couldn't bare to be out there. Now with the warmer temps maybe I can get out to work on it and have it running tip top by spring.

I will have to take a trip out to stoney to check out that salvage yard...maybe I'll get lucky. Those carb specs would problable help as well. Did you get a good deal on your 200? Do you have any plans for it...or is it stating the way it is?

Mark.

bigredhead
01-31-2005, 09:32 AM
A gas tank from any 200 S, M, E, big red ES, all fit your 200. btw.

MTS
01-31-2005, 02:27 PM
yea i know what you mean about the cold temps and unheated garage i got one too! lol, actually i do live in edmonton now too, my 200 i paid 650$ for but it was a extramly low hour trike, like when i got it, it still had original tires on it with the tits on the tires, not anymore haha