PDA

View Full Version : where to get insurance?

REDMAN225
01-30-2005, 09:28 PM
hey guys, anyone know of any insurance companies that'll insure trikes? i need it fast! thanks....red

Kintore
01-31-2005, 12:19 PM
well my old trike we put under the Farm insurance. It worked but there was a 500 deductable

bigredhead
01-31-2005, 12:32 PM
Good luck if you're in canada.

I wrote this up.. should be in the local paper soon : (Still needs a bit of work.. but you get the idea ! )

To whom it may concern.

I’m writing this e-mail to express my discontent with the current state of affairs regarding the price of insurance for 3 wheeled ATV’s. After spending much time and effort calling various insurance firms and brokers, I am led to believe that my Honda ATC is considered a motorcycle, and thus is subject to it’s pricing structure.

The popularity of 3 wheelers began the late 70’s and grew dramatically well into the late 80’s, final year of production being 1987. With the enormous amount of these machines being produced, came the need for insurance, and of course came law suits of various kinds, and an increase in insurance premiums to match.

Now 20 years later, my 1985 Honda ATC 250 SX, will cost me a minimum of 453 $ according to “ Champlain Insurance “ in Moncton NB. When an equivalent 4 wheeled ATV of the same year and displacement would cost only 122 $. The value of the machine in it’s current condition is about 800 $ and this is on the higher end of the scope of the average 3 wheeler in this area. An insurance amount of 453 $ per year is simply unbelievable.

The newer 4 wheelers in some cases having much more displacement and horsepower, also have a higher top speed, are just as dangerous and provide the equivalent risk factor. Rider safety applies to all off road vehicles, regardless of size, color, brand, or number of tires. However, the price for insurance does not reflect this for my vehicle of choice.

In closing, I ask for your help by reviewing these policies and provide people like myself a legal means of riding and enjoying a part of history by providing a more affordable source of insurance that properly reflects a change in time and rider awareness and responsibility .

Thank you.

twgranger
01-31-2005, 01:29 PM
It cost me $60 a year for insurance for my Z.

leprogle
02-01-2005, 07:27 PM
who are you sending that write up to? I have the same prob the lowest i could find was 530 for a 185!!!!!!!!!!!. I was thinking of a petition, if you want my john henry let me know, there are other new brunswickers on here who i'm sure feel the same way

Wickedfinger
02-01-2005, 08:02 PM
I use ATV-line - $50 a year for the Scrammy

REDMAN225
02-01-2005, 09:09 PM
hey twgranger ....who do you use?

going4broketecate85
02-02-2005, 07:15 AM
My insurance for my 85 tecate $4,000 worth of coverage $250 deductible==$45.49 each year. I just added it to my house insurance and they classified it as personal liabillity snowmobiles and ATV's 3-wheeler 1985 Kawasaki tecate 250. But when I went into talk to my agent she told my "I don't think anyone covers those things anymore" But after she made a couple call she figured it out. I've got it from Mutual Insurance.

foster
02-02-2005, 10:24 AM
That's a great letter Bigredhead.
I suggest you send it along soon. I"ve harped on this very subject in the newspaper myself.
Can't hurt.
Congratulations on taking a stand while using a calm, well-reasoned and logical approached that can only draw sympathy to our cause instead of just getting people's backs up.

trimoto
02-02-2005, 10:56 AM
I use Foremost co.
$50.00 for the year!
I ride a 83 ytm200k

Seabass
02-02-2005, 02:36 PM
A fellow Canadians' experience....

I lucked out insuring my Big Red. I had it fully insured for $190 per year. Here's how I did it...

When I bought my house my real estate agent was poking around the barn and noticed a 185s I had. "Do you want to insure that?" he asks...I said "no, not worth it.", so that was the end of that until I got my Big Red and had a run in with the popo...(funny story actually - but that's for another day). I realized I spend too much time on the girl not to have it insured. I called up my agent and asked him, (word for word), " how much to insure ATV's". He begins to tell me it all depends on CC's of the motor. I said I have an '85 250ES ATC - how much for full coverage?" He quoted me figure above and said to meet him with the ownership. I did and never did he ask, or did I say that this was a 3 wheeler. It even says on my insurance slip "1985 250es ATC with my serial #. As far as I;m concerned I was as honest as I needed to be. I can't see how anyone can refuse me benefits if something should happen. It's the insurance company's problem if they cannot discern between an ATC and ATV.
If you are in the Southern Ont, region shoot me a PM and I will give you a contact. All I ask is you do not make a big scene if they deny you, or proceed to tell above story, which could mess my insurance up. Actually as I type this, I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to give this info out even at all?...

bigredhead
02-02-2005, 02:51 PM
that's almost what happened to me. but he made a " Correction " as soon as he figured it out.

started at 120,, finished at 450. argh.

Billy Golightly
02-02-2005, 03:42 PM
You Canadian guys need to just tell the insurance man/woman that it is an ATV, then give them the make model and VIN #, whatever all else they need. Hell, Merriam Webster defines "All Terrain Vehicle" as "a small motor vehicle with three or four wheels that is designed for use on various types of terrain -- called also ATV" A Three-wheeler is, by all means, an ATV and should be insured as such.

leprogle
02-08-2005, 11:24 PM
I tried not telling them it was a three wheeler, but they all kept asking me if it was a 3 or 4. the first time i got insurance, i lucked out, pretty much the same as seabass, they never asked, i never told, and my insurance said 1983 atc 185s, but when they figured it out, my renewal would have jumped from 106 to 550. that is just plain regoddamndiculous