PDA

View Full Version : 250r's: 85 vs. 86

Jonathan
01-18-2003, 08:44 PM
Probably gonna be in the market for an r in the next couple of weeks and was wondering what the differences were and what advantages each had over the other. I know the carb is different (which is better?), and the motors are different colors, and I think the bearing carriers are different too. Are there more differences? Is it worth waiting for an 86 over an 85? Also what should I look for when buying one? How do I tell if the rear shock is blown? Thanks.

ATCRYDER
01-18-2003, 11:59 PM
86's had the TRX Rear End (minus shock ofcourse). Higher Seet (more padding) and Single Spring Front Forks (vs. dual spring).

I think that about covers it. Certain Colors were differant (triple trees, chrome vs. black). Seat Logo was changed from (250R to ATC). 86 Frame has the tailight mounts built in.

Motors are the same.

Rob

skippy
01-19-2003, 12:25 AM
as long as the rear end parts are good... either will be fine... as stated,, the 85 rear will be tougher to get down the road... but you can always mount up an 86 swingarm to it... other then that... no big differences.. take either if price is right!

tony_250r
01-19-2003, 12:50 AM
The 86's carb has a knob to adjust the idle speed while the 85 has a screw.

I don't see these yet;

The following parts will bolt up to the 85 and 86 atc 250R, but they are a little different; rear sproket, rear sproket hub, foot pegs, the calipers, the engine is gray on the 86, black on the 85, the top clamp is black on the 86, aluminum on the 85.

The following parts are paticluar to the 85 and 86:
The rear brake caliper, rear brake caliper mounting bracket, rear tail light mounting brackets, swing arm skid plate.
My 2 cents.

ATC'R
01-19-2003, 01:07 AM
On the 86 they improved the kick starter with a lengthened shaft, so its less prone to slip like the 85's. It also has a new clutch with heavier clutch springs, bigger headlight(60watt), Centercases that will accept a CR250R top end, better flowing reed-valve guide and lastly they kicked out the front fork rake by one degree for better straight line stability. Much of the changes were minor and there is nothing wrong with the 85 model.

ATC'R
01-19-2003, 02:29 AM