PDA

View Full Version : bike pulls to right

ross932c
01-29-2005, 05:41 PM
Honda ATC 200es, have had it for a few months, always pulled to the right, but recently it has been pulling soo much I cand drive it. This is on paved roads and gravel raods that I feel it the most but it pulls everywhere. What can cause this, what should I check?

VABCH350X
01-29-2005, 05:45 PM
Check your rear tire pressure; this is the most likely cause. Otherwise, a bent fork or frame is probably the culprit.
-Paul

Wickedfinger
01-29-2005, 05:46 PM
This topic comes up time and time again ..... you will get 10 million different responses to it from air pressure in the tires to air pressure in the forks, to head bearings to whatever .... but I am here to tell you 99.99% of the time, its a bent fork. I would take apart that front end and put a straight edge to the upper fork tubes .........

200xkwit
01-29-2005, 05:55 PM
it also could be the hubs.. my 200x slightly pulls to the left but i counteracted it pretty good with tire pressure. but if u have someone watch the bike as it goes down the street 9 out of ten times yall be able to pin point where the problem its by watching which wheel wiggles back and forth

TimSr
01-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Most common cause is uneven tire pressure. Thats also the cheapest and easiest to check.

2nd easiest to check, and another common cause on chain driven models is rear end alignment from chain adjustment.

Also can be caused by bent forks or frame, but its usually preceeded running into something. A bent axle or bent hub will also cause the rear to track unevenly and pull to one side.

ross932c
01-29-2005, 07:42 PM
K, my left rear wobbles a bit, and the tire pressure are both pretty much the same, but is it okay to fill one up more to conteract that pulling? It is winter here now so it has been cold, could that change the pressure enough to mess something up?

When you say bent fork, what part is bent? My front fork shocks are dead so they stay at the lowest position and I have hit a tree, butthat was a was a while ago and didnt notice it then. What should I look at to be bent?

How do I takethefront wheel off? I tried just the one bolt and pounding out the rod but it must be different or really rusted together.

ross932c
01-29-2005, 08:11 PM
How much pressure you all put in your tires? It says 2 lb's working pressure but I know there is more then that in these tires.

Wickedfinger
01-29-2005, 08:40 PM
When you say bent fork, what part is bent? My front fork shocks are dead so they stay at the lowest position and I have hit a tree, butthat was a was a while ago and didnt notice it then. What should I look at to be bent?
... anyone want to rethink the forks now?.

jeswinehart
01-29-2005, 09:28 PM
after tire pressure the 2nd. leading cause is damaged or bent frame.
#3 is steering components.
last is wheel bearings ( i would include all rear bearings like the swingarm also but i know your trike don't have those - just for reference ).

being the brakes ,,, both front and rear,,, are on the right side i am gonna say a hanging brake is the trouble ( or a multitude of rear bearing - right side brake - tire pressure ) ,,,, heck i might as well throw in a bent frame too :)

john

bobr
01-29-2005, 10:14 PM
I've seen a tire pull even when the pressures are ok. A more accurate check is to compare rear tire circumference. It helped me. Bob

88 Turbo Coupe
01-30-2005, 09:28 AM
If you can make it pull to the left it would be good for flat track setup.

bigredhead
01-30-2005, 10:01 AM
I've seen a tire pull even when the pressures are ok. A more accurate check is to compare rear tire circumference. It helped me. Bob

what he said.

Take a rope. lay it flat drive the wheel part ways on it and compare the circumference of the rear tires. air pressure can be deceiving with 2 ply tires !

ross932c
01-30-2005, 11:31 AM
I put both tires to the same pressure and it pulled more, I added alot more to the right tire andalmsot none to theleft and it was fine, but isit ok to drive it with lots ofpressurein one andpretty much none in the other?

Yamahauler
01-30-2005, 02:33 PM
How do I takethefront wheel off? I tried just the one bolt and pounding out the rod but it must be different or really rusted together.

On my 200s, to take the front wheel off you have to remove 4 bolts from the left sidethen a plate comes off, then the one fork will swing around giving you acess to remove the wheel. You probaly would have to let all the air out of the tire to do this.
I am not sure if its the same as on your bike though.

Wickedfinger
01-30-2005, 03:24 PM
... don't tell anyone I said this ........ but its a bent fork.

ross932c
02-02-2005, 05:29 PM
Gotcha' Thanks guys

OldSchoolin86
02-02-2005, 05:59 PM
... don't tell anyone I said this ........ but its a bent fork.
What about a bent fork? lmao :p

350x'inNY
02-02-2005, 07:39 PM
I don't know..... I think it might be a bent fork... :p

Definitely NOT a hanging brake, as that would only make it pull if it had independent braking in either the front or rear... ;)

Bruce

Wickedfinger
02-18-2005, 01:51 AM
.... Just wondering what came of this .......... Probably a replaced upper fork tube from his BENT FORK! ..... lol.