PDA

View Full Version : Removing the Front Wheel...

Yamahauler
01-28-2005, 11:28 PM
I was going to take the front wheel off of the YTM, i took the codder pin and the nut off, and the axel wont pull out, i think where the axel goes through the spacer it is rusty because when you spin the nut on the right side of it the spacer spins too.
I doused it with penatrating oitl and smacked it with a hammer but it spread the forks apart and the axel stayed in.
has anyone had this problem?
What did you do?

Yamahauler
01-29-2005, 02:53 PM
Is there anything else you have to do to take the wheel off, besides the nut and codder pin?

Pistonhead
01-29-2005, 03:13 PM
On mine I just took the nut and pin off, slipped the brake drum off, then tapped the axle out. You may have forgotten the brake drum!

Pistonhead
01-29-2005, 07:57 PM
Oh yeah, after you put the wheel back on adjust the brake, because chances are you either wont sbe able to stop, or you'll tear the hell out of your brake pads and shoes.

Yamahauler
01-29-2005, 08:10 PM
On mine I just took the nut and pin off, slipped the brake drum off, then tapped the axle out. You may have forgotten the brake drum!
Im pretty sure you cant take the drum off before you slide the axel out. I'm looking at th clymer now and they take the axel out before the drum...

Pistonhead
01-29-2005, 08:12 PM
Hmm on both my trike and a YZ80 that I worked once that was a similar year (it was yellow anyway) to your trike the drum brake just slipped off when I yanked on it. Because the nut is on the outside of the drum right? All I did was pull it off, then tapped the axle out with a deadblow.

Yamahauler
01-29-2005, 08:47 PM
i scanned a few pages, I am think its rusted...
step 7 is remove the brake panel from the wheel
http://img171.exs.cx/img171/8082/wheel17lw.jpg
http://img171.exs.cx/img171/1567/wheel21ds.jpg

Pistonhead
01-30-2005, 02:07 AM
I see, looks as if the drum is on the opposite side of the fork. I've never encountered that problem or worked on a bike like that so I don't know what to do.

thefox
01-30-2005, 10:49 AM
Most of the time the front axel is very tight the first time you remove it since it doesn't get done very often. I usually hold a block of wood over the threads and hit the wood with a hammer. Once the axel moves that first inch and there isn't anything to hit then out comes the copper bar which I use a punch to carefully drive the axel out with the hammer. If that spacer is stuck try first taking a pipe wrench and holding it then turn the axel with a wrench and see if you can break the seal the rust is making with the axel and spacer. Good luck

Yamahauler
01-30-2005, 01:57 PM
i tried that too, i had one guy use an impact and i helt the spacer first with big vise grips and then with a pipe wrench and they only slipped off.
The only thing i can think of is checking the availibility of a new axel and a spacer and just trying to cut it off if all else fails.
If you cant buy it from Yamaha, or its too expensive, then i'll check a salvage yard.

I need to change that front tire, it has lots of cracks in it!