PDA

View Full Version : Hot Rods for Z

TimSr
01-18-2003, 06:15 PM
I just got a TriZ bottom end, and noticed that the crank rod is obviously not stock. It seems to be the same length as stock though, but its chromed and says "Hot Rods" on one side, and C.K. 106 on the other side. Anybody know anything about this? Im just trying to find out if its supposed to do anything special, or is just a replacement for stock. I also want to make sure its not something that changes the stroke, since I just got my cylinder back from a bore job.

YTZ250N
01-18-2003, 07:41 PM
That is a regular hot rod connecting rod from wiseco. the # is kinda funny though seeing as how wiseco doesn't offer a connecting rod for the Z and that number isn't consistent with YZ250 motors from the same age. Usually wiseco hot rods start with a CR### I will take a look in some of the dealer catalogs I have and see what the dimensions of that rod are. You might have me going in the right direction on what rods to use for a stroker motor.

01-18-2003, 07:48 PM
I put Weiseco Hot Rod in my TRX 250r a while back. It is just a better quality replacement that costs less than stock. Rod ends are harder and the supply end have dual oil holes for better cooling and lubrication. Rod bearings have some sort of a silver coating that's supposed to tolerate longer periods of non-lubrication and offer less friction than conventional bearings. The big end of the rod has special grooves and slots in it that are supposed to eliminate bearing race distortion at high RPM as well. It seemed to be of high quality.

mike from long island
01-19-2003, 01:35 AM
hey timsr did you win that bottom end on ebay??? i saw a motor on there that stated it had a hot rod in it.. i bid but lost anyway kjust wanted to know if you got it or not?? good luck with it mike from long island

TimSr
01-19-2003, 02:56 PM
That was the none. I got it for $228, along with a top end as well. I figured since I needed a shifting fork, and all new bottom end bearings, this was proabbly cheaper than fixing mine, and Id have plenty of spares, and an extra top end. Only problem is the bozos shipped it strapped to a board and shrink wrapped, and it got dropped, and broke the cylinder where the pipe connects, smashed the water pump housing, and flattened the coolant hose connector on the head. the claim is still pending with UPS. Im not sure how its gonna play out. Its a matter of whether you blame the bozos for not packaging it right, or UPS for accepting it that way. At least the bottom end is good, which Id have gladly paid that for alone, but somebody still owes me some money. Im able to begin some of the reassembly now. I just placed a partsfish order today, that Im waiting on.

mike from long island
01-19-2003, 08:32 PM
sorry to hear about the crappy shipping job. are you able to ride your Z still??? i have a complete motor less afew parts if your looking for something anyway good luck with the motor

TimSr
01-20-2003, 12:06 AM
I tore it down right after Haspin last fall, and it shouldnt have gone on that trip! Right now, its a frame, with the forks just put back on after replacing fork boots and sliding them up in the clamps an extra 2". Like I said, I have a fresh top end, and a good bottom end, so Im just waiting on the typical parts you dont get used, like bearings, gaskets, seals, etc. Im also rebuilding the swingarm, and carrier bearings as well, and ran into a few problems with a seized bolt in the shock linkage I had to cut. Also a bolt broke off in the front motor mount which is drilled out, but I havent been able to remove it, broke an easy out in it, all that happy stuff, but it should be back amongst the living in the next few weeks or so, and itll be stronger than ever.