PDA

View Full Version : Ok.... found out what the grinding was.. now i need YT175 help.

angryyoung
01-27-2005, 03:34 PM
I took the chain case off my YT175, put a bucket under it so that the back wheels werent touching the ground, and it seemed everytime i put it in gear there was this horrible grinding noise, and if i gave it gas it didnt go anywhere. So when it was on the buckets with the chain case off, i put it in gear, and the wheels started going all by themselves!... as if i was giving it a little bit of gas. But when i put the wheels back on the ground, the spocket just ground against the chain and didnt catch it.

Why are my wheels turning!?

bigredhead
01-27-2005, 03:40 PM
1- your sprokets are either verrrrry worn.

2- your chain is very loose

the reason the wheels turn when you put it in gear.. is cuz you're in gear.

if it's an automatic clutch, your idle is high enough to partially engage the clutch and make the wheels turn, but as soon as you put it on the ground, it's not grabbign enough to push the bike.

or...... i don't know.

angryyoung
01-27-2005, 04:04 PM
its really weird, can i post videos here? cause if i can, i will post a video of what happens to it.

Lomax
01-27-2005, 04:57 PM
Grinding sound could be the axle slightly misaligned (happens when chain is not tightened correctly) or that maybe the rear bearings are out??

raptor
01-27-2005, 05:28 PM
show a video. it will show us exactly.

bigredhead
01-27-2005, 05:32 PM
angryyoung: Is the front spoket worn really bad ? if the sproket turns, but the chain stays put, this is your problem.

When you put the bike on the bucket, can you easily turn the back wheels by hand ? or are they hard to turn ? if hard. this could be rear bearings.

How much slack do you have on your chain ? if you push up and pull down on it 1/2 way between both sprokets. how much play does it have ? 1/2 inch is ok, 2 inches is wayy too slack.

more details man.

rustbucket
01-27-2005, 10:32 PM
Is the bearing on the chain tenshioner bad if it is that will kill thew movements. if it is you might have trouble finding replacement I can get them but they ain't cheap.

hondatrikesrule22
01-27-2005, 10:39 PM
Your sprockets are worn. If the trike is off the ground and running, the wheels turn because its in gear. My 110 did it all the time. But once the bike is on the ground, the wheels stop spinning. The grinding is the chain slipping on the sprocket.