PDA

View Full Version : Good trade?

02blzrx
01-25-2005, 06:35 PM
I have a 85 350x, Some Broken Plastics, Runs superstrong, lights are there, no bulbs, No tailight. Stock minus Some new handle bars, i think they are FLY bars or something, aftermarket Tank fins, and A UNI filter, which I dont think is stock, (Im new to this) Frame was cracked but has been welded, and is very strong. Dent in the tank.

in a flat trade for a 1985 lt250
with new plastics, new ceet cover, new fmf exhaust, new clutch, only thing is it needs a new top end, was last running 1 week ago. Because it has been bored over to many times.So it hasnt been sitting around for ever. the whole thing.

So my question is, do you think thats a good trade? He is only asking 750$ for the bike, but I dont have that kinda dough, I know I could sell my bike for atleast a bit more then that. but by that time I think the bike will have been sold. he has said he would trade but not pay anything out on it.
I really want a quad and so does the wife, she wont touch the 3 wheeler (Crashed a couple times) and I am trying to get her more involved in the sport.
So you guys tell me, do you think its good,
also any clue as to how much it would cost to fix this thing? thanks - Morgan

hondatrikesrule22
01-25-2005, 06:45 PM
I would do it. It should cost less than $160 to fix that top end. That is, if you do it yourself.

Tri-Z Pilot
01-25-2005, 06:48 PM
Sounds about right, could probably be a little cheaper. I know the 85's are notorious for broken frames, and there was something else major too, but I cant remember. The cost will be about $200 if you need a new cylinder sleeve, and about $110 for a top end kit (piston,piston pin,rings,connecting rod bearing, and gaskets).

02blzrx
01-25-2005, 06:52 PM
whrere could I find one of these sleeves at? Thats what he said it would need? What would be the level of difficulty involved in doing the work my self? I have a good amount of standard tools. I was a mechaninc in the army, but never did internal engine stuff so I am handy with a wrench just never tore apart an engine.

BLAZERONE22
01-25-2005, 07:10 PM
I think the swingarms liked to crack also on them

02blzrx
01-25-2005, 07:14 PM
my uncle has one, same year and he just got a new swing arm, If mine did go i guess i would buy a aftermarket one, which would probably be more durable,

I found a sleeve on Denniskirk, Not bad price, my question is, is how would you change that thing, looks awfully easy to mess up, I am sure you would have to apply heat to the jug to loosed up the old sleeve, then press it out, and then press the new one in and try to match everything up, looks preety tuff. Or am I way off?

speed20
01-25-2005, 07:19 PM
www.denniskirk.com go to your local dealer or a parts unlimited dealer. You will not be able to put the sleeve in by yourself, a shop would have to do that, unless you have the tools and experience. I believe the sleeves have to be pressed out and back in.

BLAZERONE22
01-25-2005, 07:20 PM
Installing sleeves should only be done by experienced shops. I think you can send it to weisco and they could set you up.

Tri-Z Pilot
01-25-2005, 07:40 PM
Yeah cylinders need to be professionally done costs about $100 maybe more. You could check e-bay for a complete jug, but I wouldnt buy anything that is bored 30 over, if you do this, it's going to be about $40 to get a cylinder bored to fit your piston, if you do this, make sure you dont just get your cylinder bored at 40 over even though you ordered a 40 over piston, the piston must be measured to ensure the size of boring you'll need.

02blzrx
01-25-2005, 07:57 PM
this one would be bored over to much correct? or does this look ok,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4521258864&category=43977&sspagename=WD1V

Just got a quote for a sleeve job, and they would take atleast, 2.5 weeks and i would either have drive it down and pick it up, 1 hour each way (With absoulty no traffic, which is impossible to find here in ca so roughly 2 hrs each way) or pay shipping cost. For 245.61$ seems a little steep.

grundlegrabber
01-25-2005, 08:11 PM
LT250R's were notoriously unreliable. My buddy had a few of them, I remember we were rebuilding them more than we were riding them. The needle bearings in the suspension (ront a-arms and rear linkage) all go bad, there are no grease points and they have to be taken apart every year and greased. $600+ for all the parts if these bearings are shot. Pre '87 LT250R was a total piece of crap. Sounds cheap enough though.

02blzrx
01-25-2005, 08:13 PM
are the parts upgradeable? the front arms? Also, I just found out it has new rear tires and rims also.

Tri-Z Pilot
01-25-2005, 08:47 PM
I think the ebay ad may be wrong, 85-86 had 247'cc, and all other years had 246.8 cc's, not 249 cc's. Also my dennis kirk catalog shows that 72mm is the highest bore piston they sell for the quadracer, so I think you should shy away from that deal.

BigGreenMachine
01-25-2005, 08:54 PM
Keep the 350X if it runs and has no major probs. The fourstroke power delivery of the X versus the LT250R is much more mellow and easy to control which would be easier on the wife lol. Theres nothing wrong with a trikes handling, its just the person thats riding it(dont mean to step on your toes). Teach your wife how to ride it and you should have no complaints OR at least wait for a better trade.

markdb420
01-25-2005, 09:29 PM
That cylinder head looks to be a 4 stroke model, which it will not fit on the LT 250R models. The $246 wood be ok if they are providing the sleeve and new piston and rings. Otherwise I'd run from this quad, as it will be unreliable and costly to find parts for as the 87 and up were far more desired and had better parts availability. :w00t:

02blzrx
01-25-2005, 10:21 PM
I agree its the wife, no doubt, But teaching her is like a time bomb. Just certain amount of time till she just gets all in a bunch.

If you guys figure, 750$ (bike cost) Then 250 for re-sleeving plus 200 for new piston and rings and me installing the rest myself Im looking at 1200$ quad thats otherwise fairly well off, new tires, pastic, new pipe, new ceet cover. He just put the exhaust on and Blew the top end the first time out. From talking with my uncle, he guessed that he didnt re-jet and was running to lean.

Doesnt sound to bad to me since i dont really have enough cash to be buying a quad and I cant sell my three wheeler for enough to get me very close to something decent.

BigGreenMachine
01-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Anyone that knows what a 350X is and how good a bike they are will fork over 1000 for a good runner, keeping in mind that there are no better 350X's around for cheaper.

02blzrx
01-25-2005, 10:43 PM
Well If Someone offered me a thousand for it right now i owuld take it. I would love to have a quad, for the wife, but also I really have the urge to jump. Jumping 3 wheelers is more difficult. I am doing some research and am findong that, one of the major problems, the swing arm can be updated to to 87-up with a diffrent axle housing or something, as for the a-arms, They seem upgradeable too. As for frame cracks, Im not saying its ok, but if i doesnt have any now (which I dont for sure know) That would be great and as long as they arent big or in akward spots, i do have a welder and could do some at home repairs.

RacerRichie
01-26-2005, 08:36 AM
Pass it by and wait for an 88-92 Lt250.
Its well worth the wait. Motors are better and you wont have the tranny problems of the 85-86. You can say I've owned a few LT's before...... :rolleyes:
I currently have an 89 now and love the power. Its faster than you think.... ;)

02blzrx
01-26-2005, 02:22 PM
Yesah I am going to keep this in my mind for a bit, and if nothing else comparable comes up I will go for it.

short4stuff
01-26-2005, 05:05 PM
Some of you people crack me up .. Mark .... "That looks like a power valved cylinder" ... lol yeah the power of a 4 stroke .. :rolleyes:

Whats the deal are you trading for a lt250r (2 stroke) or for a lt250 quadsport (4 stroke) ?? ..

Tri-Z Pilot
01-26-2005, 05:42 PM
I didnt even notice that! I must be smokin crack, good heads up shortstuff :D

02blzrx
01-26-2005, 07:17 PM
The trade is for the lt250r 2 stroke

markdb420
01-26-2005, 07:22 PM
Run from the POS lt 250 quadsport it is junk, we had one brand new in 89 and it had so many problems that it sat more than got ridden!