PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic oil in 200s

86200s
01-25-2005, 06:31 PM
I have a 200s and it seems to developing a little more heat then it should. I was wondering if synthetic oil would affect the centrificul clutch. Would it be more prone to spining i just put in new clutch shoes and it pops wheelies in 3rd but my engine is moded. its not running to lean

4cylinders
01-25-2005, 07:08 PM
hey, synthetic will make both clutches slip. try a different brand of oil, or a heavier weight.

Studytime
01-25-2005, 07:29 PM
hey, synthetic will make both clutches slip. try a different brand of oil, or a heavier weight.

Not sure of how you arrived it's an oil problem. Anyway, I do not recommend running synthetic oil in your trike. The synthetic oil is usually thinner for the same viscosity rating so if you go in and buy a quart of 10w30 you might start burning some oil. Furthermore, it's pointless from a lubrication standpoint. You'd be spending way more on synthetic, whereas; you could run conventional and just change it every 2 weeks for way less money.

I've found you do more damage not changing oil than you do running a bike/quad/trike extra hard. In my "hot rod" I run synthetic and try to stick to only ~4500/5000 miles between changes. Also, IF it does get VERY hot your synthetic won't break down and form deposits like a conventional oil could.

Also, how many "low income" (inner city, poorly educated) people have you seen with a recent car that smokes? Makes you wonder how they get a new-ish car to smoke like that. Might be because it's never been serviced.

Not performing routine maintenance to save money is like rewinding a clock to save time.

Studytime

smokinp
01-25-2005, 07:38 PM
yea...I agree with studytime.I dont run synthetic oil in my trike,try running a good brand like quaker state...

MTS
01-25-2005, 08:50 PM
i run AMS-OIL 0w-40 FULL SYNTHTIC 4 STROKE OIL , recomended for wet clutchs ect ect quads ect, says on the bottel, this stuff works GREAT i would recomend it to anyone who has to start there trike in cold weather, makes it much easier to start, i also noticed that it dosnt blacken as quickyly as a conventinol oil, the only place i wouldnt recomend a sycnthtic oil in a trike is if it burns oil allredy such as bad rings seats ect, becuse it will burn ALOT more sycnthic oil becuse it is soo much thinner than conventinal......i havent had ANY problems with my clutch with the ams-oil i use, works great, runs cooler, and i must say it is the best oil i have ever used......theres my bit on synthtic oil..lol

bonkers_200s
01-25-2005, 09:34 PM
What wieght is everyone running, and do you make a switch from winter to summer?

MTS
01-25-2005, 10:01 PM
i run the 0-40 in the winter(works phenomanal) and 10-40 in the summer

83185s
01-25-2005, 10:19 PM
i dont even know the difference..my 185 burned so much i just bought the dollar general 75 cent quarts and put in..10-30

HaggLE
01-26-2005, 06:05 PM
Like they say, oils aint oils. Old motors need old grade oil. I run 20w-50 in my trike and never have problems. I can understand you guys that like living in freezers might want to run different grade oil when its darn cold but as for "normal" weathered people 20w50 is what you should run to avoid wearing out the big end bearing. Older engines arent designed for synthetic oil, all the tollerances are designed for the old fashioned oil and will not wear correctly if you use oils that arent designed to suit.

TimSr
01-26-2005, 06:42 PM
Im a big fan of Mobile 1 Full Synthetic Motorcycle oil. We've only got two 4 strokes here to run it in now and they are both auto clutches like your 200s. Synthetics last longer and do not suffer chemical breakdown as quickly as standard oils. Before I found this, I always ran the Mobile 1 full synthetics for autos in my 4 strokes. I also got the best clutch performance out of it in my 250R until I got a billeted clutch basket, after which I couldnt tell the difference and switched back to regular cheap motor oil.

Either way, I really doubt it has anything to do with, nor will it solve your heat problem.

TravEX
01-26-2005, 08:38 PM
i run mobil-1 15-50 red cap in my trike, no problems,,,run it in my 400 too, no problems,,,

bigredhead
01-26-2005, 08:54 PM
Had the chick at Honda throw a timing chain at me on the wekeend and told me
" This is what synthetic oil did to a 400 EX "

When i asked if Honda oil really makes any more difference !!

HRC1
01-26-2005, 10:29 PM
Had the chick at Honda throw a timing chain at me on the wekeend and told me
" This is what synthetic oil did to a 400 EX "

When i asked if Honda oil really makes any more difference !!
I highly doubt that syn oil had abything to do with a timing chain failure, more like lack of maintenance or a faulty chain tensioner. I would love to hear the reasonong how it failed because of oil. lol

HRC1
01-26-2005, 10:40 PM
Like they say, oils aint oils. Old motors need old grade oil. I run 20w-50 in my trike and never have problems. I can understand you guys that like living in freezers might want to run different grade oil when its darn cold but as for "normal" weathered people 20w50 is what you should run to avoid wearing out the big end bearing. Older engines arent designed for synthetic oil, all the tollerances are designed for the old fashioned oil and will not wear correctly if you use oils that arent designed to suit.
I have never herd of nor read anywhere about engine tolerances being changed based on what oil is to be used. World famouse stock car engine builder smokey yunick said he was testing synthetic oil's 30 years ago and my book that statment came from i bought 10 years ago. He also stated mineral based lubricating oils are about as antiquated as the model-T. I see absolutley no reason to not use full syn other than it's price. It is far superior in every way to conventional oil. But, if the bike is currently leaking, smoking, or the clutch is slipping, it will probably do so more with synthetic. I run full syn amsoil in my 350x with 0 probs. I have also seen cars 30 yrs old do the same. If you can show me anywhere where a tolerance is + or- because of the oil used, i'll take back every bit of what i said.

fyi
08-28-2005, 12:18 PM
I've just started to use Redline 15w/50 fully synthetic engine oil in my 4-stroke, wet clutch machine with outstanding success thus far. You can see the relevent thread here:

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=39892

We use similar Redline Oil products in our racing engines we build here and until I personally see a wet clutch failure or degredaded operation that is directly related to the use of synthetic oils, I'm going to continue to use it indefinitely. :)

crackshot
08-28-2005, 12:33 PM
.99 cent walmart oil does fine. Just change oil every season.

wheelie king
08-28-2005, 01:13 PM
86200s- :welcome:

I notice you are a fellow Floridian. I run Kawachem 10w-40 with excellent results. Way cheaper that the Honda stuff, and good for wet clutches. I change it about 5 times a year. Synthetic is very expensive, and I highly doubt you would notice a much cooler engine with a synthetic oil. I would especially stay away from 0w-40 down here with our HOT temperatures. Do you do a lot of slow trail riding where there is not much air moving over the motor?

86200s
08-28-2005, 03:00 PM
Well thanks for the input guys...this post is from january and I fixed the running hot problem...anways I now use 20w-50 and I do a lot of haul ass at 65mph riding...lol

TravEX
08-28-2005, 08:16 PM
so, why was it running hot?

TravEX
08-28-2005, 08:20 PM
65mph? on you 200S? your kidding, right? hehe

crackshot
08-28-2005, 08:48 PM
65mph? on you 200S? your kidding, right? hehe

I was wondering that myself.

86200s
08-29-2005, 02:09 AM
HAHAHA you wish its got a little work...200x front end,10:1 piston, .20over, custom pipe, 104 main jet, 13 tooth front 40 back with 20inch holeshots and as for running hot I switched to from discount auto to castrol and I figured out that you dont screw it in to measure oil and it was runnin a bit lean so now its all good...but yea I clocked it in front of a mustang so dont give me that drafting crap its got the speed and power of a 200x :w00t: Im proud

TravEX
08-29-2005, 07:14 AM
that's new to me, a 200S doing 65. Try clocking it with a GPS, that's the only true way to do it, I bet with a GPS it's nowhere near 65mph.

nouseforaname90
08-29-2005, 07:19 AM
HAHAHA you wish its got a little work...200x front end,10:1 piston, .20over, custom pipe, 104 main jet, 13 tooth front 40 back with 20inch holeshots and as for running hot I switched to from discount auto to castrol and I figured out that you dont screw it in to measure oil and it was runnin a bit lean so now its all good...but yea I clocked it in front of a mustang so dont give me that drafting crap its got the speed and power of a 200x :w00t: Im proud

But.. then.. why did you dump all that money in it when you could have got a 200X for half the price????

86200s
08-29-2005, 01:23 PM
I built it out of junk parts it only cost me bout $300 to build Im 16 with no job so I got to do side work to make money...and I will find a gps or ride with someone with one and let * know but regarless 65 is not very fast... for a 200s yea but its regeared and has a little work done to it...it can go faster with different sprockets and a little more work Im hopping to get a 200x bottom end soon then Im gonna really build it up...when Im done I gonna have a 200x that can run with 350x's and yeah it can and wil happen...and y will I but all this time and money into it so when guys who think ** big edited*t roll up on ** trikes I can put * in line... I dont know bout * guys but in Miami theres a lot of rich little boys that daddys buy them 450R's, YFZ450's, 660 Raptors as there FIRST BIKES and then cant drive them at all...thinkin that there big sh*t they can handle it...and there all assholes and then they get in wrecks or die riding them on the streets and on US1 and Eureka (4 lane busy roads) and they close places to ride cause of them...I got way off topic but yea I started with a 200s and then Im gonna end up with a extremely high performance 200x and only spend bout $600...

Yamahauler
08-29-2005, 01:36 PM
I built it out of junk parts it only cost me bout $300 to build Im 16 with no job so I got to do side work to make money...and I will find a gps or ride with someone with one and let * know but regarless 65 is not very fast... for a 200s yea but its regeared and has a little work done to it...it can go faster with different sprockets and a little more work Im hopping to get a 200x bottom end soon then Im gonna really build it up...when Im done I gonna have a 200x that can run with 350x's and yeah it can and wil happen...and y will I but all this time and money into it so when guys who think ** big sh*t roll up on ** trikes I can put * in line... I dont know bout * guys but in Miami theres a lot of rich little boys that daddys buy them 450R's, YFZ450's, 660 Raptors as there FIRST BIKES and then cant drive them at all...thinkin that there big sh*t they can handle it...and there all assholes and then they get in wrecks or die riding them on the streets and on US1 and Eureka (4 lane busy roads) and they close places to ride cause of them...I got way off topic but yea I started with a 200s and then Im gonna end up with a extremely high performance 200x and only spend bout $600...

From the little I understand from reading your post, you say your going to be able to run your 200s with a 350X. Good luck with that! :rolleyes: :lol:

86200s
08-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Im gonna have the last laugh its wat Im known around here for making something slow as dirt into something that is insanely fast...and its gettin 200x frame and 200x bottom end

TravEX
08-29-2005, 05:36 PM
sounds good there, sport, good luck to ya. let us know when you get that GPS reading, and, yes, 65mph IS that fast, sure it wasn't km/h? Actually, now that I think about it I did 70mph on my 200S one time, o crap, i forgot, it was in the back of my truck doing 70mph, my bad. Maybe yours has that limited edition 350X tranny on it, those are rare.

86200s
08-29-2005, 06:10 PM
wat ever I know wat did does and it hits 65 Miles Per Hour its not unreallistic and maybe ** 200s is stock and poorly maintained and thats why you dont think it can make it to 65 with a little work...ask anyone that knows something cause apparently you dont and the smart ass attitude is not needed and this has been debated already as far as a 200x's being built up to run with 350x's...thats wat its all about when someone like * on there 350 trys to smoke me and * look next to * and Im still there its all worth the look on ** face plus its a fun toy that is severly underestimated...

TravEX
08-29-2005, 06:26 PM
Rotflmao!!!

Yamahauler
08-29-2005, 06:43 PM
wat ever I know wat did does and it hits 65 Miles Per Hour its not unreallistic and maybe ** 200s is stock and poorly maintained and thats why you dont think it can make it to 65 with a little work...ask anyone that knows something cause apparently you dont and the smart ass attitude is not needed and this has been debated already as far as a 200x's being built up to run with 350x's...thats wat its all about when someone like * on there 350 trys to smoke me and * look next to * and Im still there its all worth the look on ** face plus its a fun toy that is severly underestimated...
Can someone please translate this for me?

86200s
08-29-2005, 07:40 PM
the *=you or your

nouseforaname90
08-29-2005, 07:47 PM

Whoa. First of all. Punctuation and capitalization, please.
Second, if illiteracy is a disease, who the hell gave it to you??
Third.. I don't think you can make a 200S run with a 350X. Maybe if you weigh 100 lbs and the rider on the 350X weighs 300 lbs, you are drag racing, and you have dumped a ton of money and time into your trike.. then MAYBE.. but otherwise.. I don't think so. But if you DO get it to run with 350X's.. then video tape it. I'd like to see that.