PDA

View Full Version : Throttle cable stuck

Tri-ZNate
01-24-2005, 05:58 PM
On my SX I took the air box cover off and for a while its been fine. I was told a while ago that the throttle cable might freeze up during the winter. I didnt believe this and this morning when I went to the bus, I choked it, put it in reverse and shoved the throttle in. Well it decided to stay there and not rev down, so I quickly shut it off. I was told today that if I oil the line it will prevent this from happening for a while. Is this true, and what can I do to get it unstuck and to stop sticking?

MTS
01-24-2005, 07:43 PM
call'd wd-40 oil all your cabels regularly!

thefox
01-24-2005, 09:45 PM
You can get a cable-luber for $9 or so. They are just a little clamp that has a rubber insert so you disconnect one end of the cable and slip the luber over it then attach a can on WD-40 by the red straw that comes with the can and just force the WD into the cable. When it squirts out the end you are done (as long as your cable doesn't have any cracks). This will make the cables last longer, help prevent freezing and help keep them from sticking. You can take a heat gun or hair dryer to your cable to thaw it out. I have had the same problem you have before I got the cable-luber (I love saying that!). I had to drive all the way back to the trailer using the on-off switch as the throttle.

Tri-ZNate
01-24-2005, 09:55 PM
Ok guess ill have to start doin that on all my trikes. Luber, lol

max
01-24-2005, 10:03 PM
you might want to check your carb. its very common for the slide to freeze up and stick. i know this cause mine has done it twice this winter. id check that and if it moves freely squirt some white lithium grease down your cable and work it for a while. this cold weather sucks dont it.
max

Tri-ZNate
01-25-2005, 07:32 AM
Oh yeah definitly sucks, especially for you since your in ohio.