PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Yt175 Wont Go Into Gear!

angryyoung
01-24-2005, 05:44 PM
I just went to take my 175 out.... i get down to the end of the driveway, stop, fix my gloves. Put it in gear and all it does is rattle. It also sounds like its grinding, the chain hasnt fallen off either.

angryyoung
01-24-2005, 06:00 PM
somebody please help, im desperate to find out what the problem is so i can get back to riding.

angryyoung
01-24-2005, 06:43 PM
Helphelphelp

angryyoung
01-24-2005, 09:15 PM
would TimSr know the answer to this?

rustbucket
01-24-2005, 11:16 PM
typical problem with the tri motos take a look at your shifter my guess is that were those ball joints thread into that tubing it has stretched and they don't fit well, so they wiggle and eventualy work their way in and wola to short to put it in gear all the way it kinda goes in half way the pops out and grinds. my 125 did this alot atleast untill i fixed it. what i did was find a long nut like an inch long, I got mine from the head of a 399 rotax and then i cut the shifter off a little bit and tig welded it on and it worked great theres a lot more meat around the threads and won't stretch.

angryyoung
01-25-2005, 05:28 PM
when it was kinda half in gear, if you lifted up the back tires, did they turn a bit?

Cause when i try to shift it into first it rattles, then if i lift up the back end the tired start going forward.

I hope its the shifter cause ive already messed with it
and i reallreally REALLY wanna ride my trike :cry:

rustbucket
01-26-2005, 01:10 AM
I never tried lifting it up to see if the tires moved,but It seems to me that these clutches need oil to move so maybe your low on oil I'd check that and see whats up

TimSr
01-26-2005, 09:54 AM
Try shifting it into 2nd or 3rd or 4th and try to take off and see what happens. If its only does it in first gear, but shifts okay otherwise, you probably have a gear with side knubs rounded off, and youll have to split the bases.

If its not shifting into gear, youve probably got somthing going on with the shifter assembly just inside the cover, but your going to have to go in and look at it, and the problem will probably be visible as you look at it and work the shifter.

hondaATCman
01-26-2005, 10:10 PM
Did you check the sprockets for wear? If one of them doesn't have enough of the teeth on it, the sprocket will turn in the chain making a noise. It could also very well be the gears but I would rule out the simple stuff first.