PDA

View Full Version : Honda atc 70

rob24
01-23-2005, 04:08 PM
I have a 1985 honda atc and can't seem to get a good spark. I'm trying to decide if it is the spark plug cap or the ignition coil or maybe something else. I did replace the plug wire and had a blue spark, when I tried to fire it up nothing. Pulled the plug out and had nothing.

ClayW
01-23-2005, 04:25 PM
I could be the points. They could be corroded or worn out. :beer All that makes it up is Spk plug, wire, Coil, and points. :beer

rob24
01-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Well I just went out there to see with the plug cap off and taking it to a ground to see if it will spark and it did. Connected the spark plug good. After two pulls no more spark. So if its the points how hard are they to change and where do you buy them from?

HaggLE
01-23-2005, 05:16 PM
You will need a flywheel puller to remove the flywheel (they are behind there) so if you dont have one make sure that you buy the right one. You may be able to file them flat and reuse them.

I think your problem is the condenser. If you arent sure what it is, its a cylinder shape thing with a wire comming from it. All points ignition systems have them. They are a common problem on the 70's because they are located near the points in the engine so they dont get changed often and they get hot from the engine. Just buy any condenser (even a car one) and it can be located anywhere in the ignition system. The casing of the condenser has to be earthed and the wire just has to join up. I would screw it down with the coil and join the wire to the wire that comes from the bottom. This would be the first thing to try (dont worry about removing the old one).

Next thing is a new plug.

jenndnn3
01-24-2005, 12:41 PM
If your going to pull the flywheel change both of em anyway. Condesor and points. At $15 for points a lil more for condensor, I think I paid $18. Its well worth it. Pulling that flywheel to me was the pain in the *.

sandpuppi101
01-24-2005, 05:33 PM
Yeah,like they said if your gonna take the flywheel off put in a new condenser and points.I am pretty sure it is your points,I just went thru the same thing on a 85' atc 70 myself.The points themselves looked good ,I cleaned them up cith a business card,gapped them put all the crap back on ,pulled it over twice {the first time I had a brite blue spark}the second time nothing.To make a long story short,where the points rides on the inner flywheel was wore the smallest of an amount and it was'nt letting the points open up.Bottomline throw that stuff in the garbage get new points and condenser and then it 'll be done.Gap points at .012-.016.

HaggLE
01-24-2005, 05:40 PM
You dont have to put the condensor down the bottom, i was saying to avoid taking the flywheel off (it really is a pain) just put a new car condensor in. Wire it in up near the coil. More then likely it will go.

rob24
01-24-2005, 05:41 PM
Hey do you know the part number for the flywheel puller

rob24
01-24-2005, 05:46 PM
you said that you just hook up the wire from the condesor to the wire from the bottom. Do you mean just splice it in or to the wire hooked up to the ignition coil.

HaggLE
01-24-2005, 05:59 PM
You can splice it in or put a join in the wire and put some plugs in etc.. it doesnt really matter as long as its plugged into the wire that goes to the coil and the condensor is earthed to the frame/motor somewhere.

I dont know the part number for the puller but it fits a range of Hondas.

grundlegrabber
01-24-2005, 09:09 PM
Can't get tools from Honda. They don't sell them anymore (or so I was told). Motion Pro makes the flywheel pullers. Dennis Kirk or ebay.

rob24
02-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Well changed the points and condenser but now I'm getting a real weak spark. I'm guessing that it must be the ignition coil. Any ideas let me know. I've been on the hunt for a new ignition coil on ebay but can't seem to find one for a good price. I guess I will keep looking hopefully that will do the trick. Alright so after posting this I went out to the garage and try to start this thing again no luck. pulled the spark plug out and i'm getting a white to light blue spark. Good enough or do you think it's still weak. I'm just trying to get this thing running again so I can take my kids for a ride. I just don't know where else to look

HaggLE
02-01-2005, 09:43 PM
So what have you done so far? every single step from when it stopped working (of if you bought it like that) to now. Even if you might think its insignificant. Definately need more info to help further.

42F67N
02-02-2005, 12:08 PM
I used this place when i restored my atc first atc 70 awesome to deal with and has oem parts and tools for the atc 70 http://www.dratv.com/atc70honda.html

jenndnn3
02-02-2005, 12:23 PM
There is a wire coming out of the recoil/stator/generator. In it is the connector. Connect another wire, or use it and ground it to the engine itself. Tells us what you see. Or use a multi meter. Then follow that pattern all the way through the lines. upon each connection. You will find quickly where you are losing spark. Rather then guessing. When you installed the points did you gap correctly and set them to open at F not T?

rob24
02-02-2005, 09:23 PM
So here goes about two weeks ago riding three wheeler was going good down shifted from thrid to second. Motor seemed to bog down like it wasn't getting enough gas. Tried to start it back up nothing. All I did prior to this is rebuild the carb and had to pull the cylinder head off to try to repair spark plug hole. Replaced the gas tank. So once the bike died I replaced the points and condeser. After trying to regap the points using the static method I got the bike to run. Seemed to be running fine took it for a short ride. It did alright except when I went to shift each time I would upshift it seemed like the bike was bogging down like it wasn't getting enough gas. Well I kept riding shifted into third bike died and would not restart. Pushed it home checked the spark plug it was still getting spark. So I tried to restart it and it ran again. I just can't figure out why it's shifting so hard. Someone told me because I only gapped it statically and it's not that accurate. Can the gap cause the shifting problem? Help please just not sure whats going on. Never touched anything with the clutch or transmission.

HaggLE
02-03-2005, 08:04 AM
clean out the carb and check the ignition timing. Sounds like a timing issue tho.