PDA

View Full Version : Answer Roost Boost, does it work?

thefox
01-22-2005, 10:46 PM
How much of a difference does a roost boost make on a 4 stroke? Would there be any noticable difference in power or would it just be a waste of money?

Redrooster
01-22-2005, 11:46 PM
From what i remember, the rooste boost works with the stock cdi, and basically bypasses the rev limiter. I dont think they have been made in a while, so any of them out there might be old, and i would recomend getting aftermarket high rev cdi.

thefox
01-23-2005, 02:22 PM
So do you think it would be worth $30? I was thinking of running a xr200 electrical system with a roost boost on my 200x project, I know that I would be loosing the lighting coil but I don't plan on having any lights anyways. I'm not sure this setup would be any better then a stock 200x one anyways.

HRC1
01-23-2005, 02:42 PM
I didn't know a roost boost was made for a 4 stroke. And there is a reason they arent made anymore. They really don't do anything. Supposebly hotter spark to completly burn all the fuel, well if your jetted right u wont have any excess fuel to burn anyways, I saw a test on one once way back when. The results on a dyno were almost undetectable, i wouldnt mess with it, your not gonna beat anyone just cause u have one and the other guy doesent.

atczack
01-23-2005, 02:48 PM
Roost Boost is garbage. My friend had one on his KX back in the day. Waste of money. Not the slightest bit of performance gain in any gear, at any RPM, or in any condition.

TimSr
01-23-2005, 02:55 PM
Its supposed to make a "hotter spark" and I agree that its a waste of money. They make aftermarket free rev CDI's for newer quads, but I dont know if any trikes ever even had rev limiters. Maybe somebody else knows of some that do, but none of the ones Ive had ever had a rev limiter.

350x'inNY
01-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Well.... any early Honda 4wheeler racers know that a 350X CDI doesn't have a rev limiter. They were often used in 250X, 300EX from what I've been told to get extra rev's.... So if a 350X didn't have a rev limiter, I'd doubt if a 200X would.

Bruce

thefox
01-23-2005, 03:39 PM
Ok, I think for now I will just stick with the 200x electrical then. I just saw a roost boost for the xr200 and didn't know if I found another performance upgrade. I didn't know that there was a roost boost made for 4 strokes. Thanks for the help.

hrc85250r
01-23-2005, 08:27 PM
everyone says that roost boost doesnt do anything, but how many people have actually tried them???? i have it and i noticed that it revved upa little faster, not necessarily more powerful, but a little more snap....

Pistonhead
01-23-2005, 10:23 PM
From what I've heard they are about as good for adding power as a twist throttle and shaved fenders.

Trikeaholic
01-23-2005, 10:43 PM
if you are goin for old school, just get it for the heck of it, an old oddity part, at the very least, its not like its $100!

HRC1
01-23-2005, 10:59 PM
everyone says that roost boost doesnt do anything, but how many people have actually tried them???? i have it and i noticed that it revved upa little faster, not necessarily more powerful, but a little more snap....
Um, i have, and so did 2 friends of mine, and with back to back runs, 3 sep 250r's and 3 seperate RB's, there was no diff, perhaps you are jetted rich. Like i said, there is a reason it isnt made anymore. One rather respected engine builder i know once put it into his top 5 was suppost to work but just didn't catagory of famouse 2 stroke engine gimicks.

hrc85250r
01-24-2005, 11:04 AM
hrc1, i am not jetted rich, thanks....i am just saying what i noticed, and it isnt just the roost boost that answer doesnt make anymore, its everything that had to do with motors!....maybe they just didnt sell alot of stuff and had to shut down the whole performance products thing.....well, i will dyno it at school in the spring and tell you if it does or not...and i put 5 bucks on it that it does do something ....in case you havent noticed all answer makes is gear now... (and bars???)....

....and what else was on the list of gimmicks????

diggerzmound
01-24-2005, 11:11 AM
How Could a Roost Boost Bypass the Rev LImiter??? It installs inline with the plug wire...... The Rev- LImiting is a process controlled by the CDI which is Upstream from the coil.. THe CDI cuts signals to the coil. So with the roost boost the last hing on the chain, it CAN'T bypass rev limits. Answer made the Roost Boost. And all it is, is a step up coil. It is supposed to step up the voltage of the coil. And every time I had a hold on the spark plug at the wrong time, I believe ther was plenty of voltage in stock form.... :lol: They are really a joke, now for some of the off brand bikes that had lackluster ingition systems, they may be a half assed fix. But the average 2 stroke has plenty of spark.... Hell nostalgia is the only reason to pick up one of this unique paper weights...

hrc85250r
01-24-2005, 12:00 PM
How Could a Roost Boost Bypass the Rev LImiter??? It installs inline with the plug wire...... The Rev- LImiting is a process controlled by the CDI which is Upstream from the coil.. THe CDI cuts signals to the coil. So with the roost boost the last hing on the chain, it CAN'T bypass rev limits. Answer made the Roost Boost. And all it is, is a step up coil. It is supposed to step up the voltage of the coil. And every time I had a hold on the spark plug at the wrong time, I believe ther was plenty of voltage in stock form.... :lol: They are really a joke, now for some of the off brand bikes that had lackluster ingition systems, they may be a half assed fix. But the average 2 stroke has plenty of spark.... Hell nostalgia is the only reason to pick up one of this unique paper weights...

lol, you guys are spent, seriously why would anyone sell anything that didnt do anything?!?!?! it does do something! and the 250r was noted for having a weak spark, and if you couldnt afford the expensive racing parts like a cr ignition or vertex or whatever, this was the way to go....it isnt half-assed, it is how you do it on a budget....and yes digger you are right, it doesnt bypass the ignition and all it does is step up voltage to make the spark a little hotter to burn the a/f mix a little better....

diggerzmound
01-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Hahah, testimony of a Roost Boost Believer, Dude You got ONE!!!! I guess if the 250R has a weak charge that is what they are for. BUT.... There is a reason you can't buy them any more, and I see no aftermarket companies stepping up to the plate.. Why???? I KNOW PICK ME TEACHER!!!! I just happen to know a little about step UP transformers (me works for the power company!!) When you step up voltage you lose wattage which is directly related to amperage... Well I don't feel like explaining it all but amperage is what gives the voltage the strength to flow. Amperage in effect pushes voltage. So you may have more volts, but you lose the affective ability to flow.. Think of it as Water voltage = flow... Amperage = Pressure. and with step-up systems, you lose one or the other.......

bonkers_200s
01-24-2005, 12:13 PM
From what I've heard they are about as good for adding power as a twist throttle and shaved fenders.

Well theres my laugh of the day, I needed that.

I'm just poking in the wind, but if one was seeking a hotter spark, wouldn't buying a hotter plug do the same thing?

I dunno who posted it, butas far as being "spent" (<~~I lol'd)

There are millions of dollars of useless merchandise sold every second, it wouldn't surprise me what so ever.

Example, early 90's, a $150 piece of #%$^, Reebok pump sneakers, I was so pissed off, big deal the tongue filled with air, but didn't do a damn thing for the sneaker, lol.

bonkers_200s
01-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Hahah, testimony of a Roost Boost Believer, Dude You got ONE!!!! I guess if the 250R has a weak charge that is what they are for. BUT.... There is a reason you can't buy them any more, and I see no aftermarket companies stepping up to the plate.. Why???? I KNOW PICK ME TEACHER!!!! I just happen to know a little about step UP transformers (me works for the power company!!) When you step up voltage you lose wattage which is directly related to amperage... Well I don't feel like explaining it all but amperage is what gives the voltage the strength to flow. Amperage in effect pushes voltage. So you may have more volts, but you lose the affective ability to flow.. Think of it as Water voltage = flow... Amperage = Pressure. and with step-up systems, you lose one or the other.......

V = IxR :D

Eletricity confuses 95% of the masses out of simple fear.

OldSchoolin86
01-24-2005, 01:17 PM
lol, you guys are spent, seriously why would anyone sell anything that didnt do anything?!?!?!
Ever watch TV? There are TONS of products sold everyday that are useless like the roost boost.

OldSchoolin86
01-24-2005, 01:20 PM
I'm just poking in the wind, but if one was seeking a hotter spark, wouldn't buying a hotter plug do the same thing?
A hotter plug doesn't give you a hotter spark. It just allows a higher tip temp.

TimSr
01-24-2005, 01:37 PM
I just happen to know a little about step UP transformers (me works for the power company!!) When you step up voltage you lose wattage which is directly related to amperage... Well I don't feel like explaining it all but amperage is what gives the voltage the strength to flow. Amperage in effect pushes voltage. So you may have more volts, but you lose the affective ability to flow.. Think of it as Water voltage = flow... Amperage = Pressure. and with step-up systems, you lose one or the other.......

You got this backwards. Current is measured in amperage, and amperage is the volume of electron flow. Voltage is the force that current flows. Wattage is a measurement of overall power.

Watts = Amps x Volts (P=IxE)
Voltage = Amps x Ohms (resistance) (E=IxR )

You will learn these formulas the first day in any electronic tech school. (Ohm's Law)

So increasing voltage does not reduce wattage. When you step voltage it reduces amps, the wattage stays the same, provided the load (resistance hasnt changed).

Spark plug voltages are very high 15-25,000 Volts required to force current across an open air gap. They draw extremely low current which is why you dont get killed from a plug zap.

People can entertain themselves with the math, but increasing the voltage from your coil will reduce amperage unless you change your plug gap (resistance), resulting in the same amount of power (wattage) in your spark.

Jason T
01-24-2005, 01:39 PM
I have been told that all the 4 stroke honda trikes had rev limiters built into the CDI's, except the 350x, as Bruce said. Have to say I 've never noticed the limiter working on any of our trikes though :confused:

Jason T :)

bigredhead
01-24-2005, 01:47 PM
high rev's on a 4 stroke is not where it's at anyways !!! if you want high rev's.. get a 2 stroke !

give me grunt !! argh argh...

PS: Anyone ever make a jacob's ladder ? i love those !

diggerzmound
01-24-2005, 02:58 PM
So increasing voltage does not reduce wattage. When you step voltage it reduces amps, the wattage stays the same, provided the load (resistance hasnt changed).

Wattage stays the same, to a point, you are right, guess I misrepresented that. (Guess I need to go back to college) There is a loss due capacatance. We are talking a very simple induction transformer. Not a clean step up. Not much amperage or wattage to factor.. They probably work, but it would be a linear comparison from machine to machine. It depends alot on the quality of spark provided by the coil. I am relating to very large transformers, and the effect of hysterisis and eddy currents, at best any tranformer is 95% efficient, always a loss..

http://www.shure.com/images/important_equations_03.jpg

There is loss calculations due to Ohm Differences - this could be a factor if the roost boost was generic to all 2 cycles. Inother words not specifically matched to the same Ohm design as the coil...

[img]http://www.tpub.com/neets/book2/0309.GIF[img]

This is the equation for Trnasformer efficiency..

As I stated in such a small transformer, the loss will be so miniscule it would be fun to calculate. But lets not get anal over calculations.....

I didn't really want to start a pissin match, just tried to lay out a quick explanation of why they might not be the best, or they might be the shizznit..

Oh Yea Roost Boost is awesome :o

hrc85250r
01-24-2005, 03:37 PM
dude, voltage is what makes the spark jump.....and roost boost isnt made anymore because answer went out of business completely!!! and they dont make it anymore because the new machines dont need it and the four strokers dont need it because of the rev boxes and the electrical systems are better....

OldSchoolin86
01-24-2005, 04:04 PM
dude, voltage is what makes the spark jump.....and roost boost isnt made anymore because answer went out of business completely!!! and they dont make it anymore because the new machines dont need it and the four strokers dont need it because of the rev boxes and the electrical systems are better....
My advice for you is to read it all again. It won't help your rev box and when you gain voltage you are trading for amps. Voltage with no amps will do nothing. An inline box can't just create power. It has to be generated. Also, like anything else out there, if there was a need for it, it would be made by someone. There are to many 250r motors out there to think that a performance product for them are not needed anymore.

a-camp
01-24-2005, 04:27 PM
I think if your hitting your rev limiter it will work if you're not or you dont have one it will do nothing . When I put pipes on SeaDoo's, you had to use one cause pipe made it turn more RPMs than stock limiter would alow. New models you can do with computer and change timing that way as well.