PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 225 DX come back to life engine story.

Huffa
01-22-2005, 09:10 PM
I got it (the whole 3 wheeler) for free just weeks ago. It sat out for years in the weather. Here is the story.

1) motor would not turn over ( by pull start) a bit - condensation siezier I would call it. "ROC"....rust on cylinder probably causing rings to stick

2) filled cylinder with PB Blaster and let set a day

3) came home, tried turning pull start (pull start assembly was off ) basket by a large screw driver.........it gave a very slight 1/8" movement, kept going back & fourth and finally an inch of movement

4) blasted a little more PBB with a bit of regular motor oil & tried again. 90 degrees of movement, then 180 then FINALLY a full turn!!!! Ya-HOO!!!

5) another 10-15 turns and it was turning great!

6) drained oil and a nightmare.......12 ozs of water or more comes pouring out 1st!!!!! No wonder it was way overfilled!!!!

7) cleaned both oil filters & put some fresh stuff in & while spinning the rear tire I checked the trans & all is fine. Gears seem to whirl nice & shifts like it should, shaft drive works too

8) took carb off ....... It's a disaster!!!!!! Worst carb I ever saw!!!!!!! Cleaned up nice though but need a few o-rings and bowl gasket so i figured I can't start it yet. :cry:

9) then it hit me! why not just spray a bit of carb cleaner in the intake tract and see if it will even try to start & that was with the carb AND header pipe off.

10) 1,2,3,4 pulls nothing & I wouldn't expect it to with all the oil in the cylinder. it came flying out of the exhaust port.

11) 5,6 and VAROOOOOOOMMMMM!!! She lit up and lit up well for 3 seconds!!! Tried it again & it started 2nd pull!!!!!

12) put in in gear (all tires are flat so it can't go far) gave it a pull and on the 1st pull she came to life and did a small wheelie as if it was saying " :Bounce Lets GO" :Bounce !!!!

13) so now I know the auto clutch works and it does move forward.

NO $$ spent at all yet and got her running!!! :beer Even the pull handle & rope I took off from my old Honda HR 21 mower (spare junk one) and that worked just fine.

I got tons of digital pics of my project on computer but don't know how to post them :rolleyes:

Quickonstep
01-22-2005, 09:17 PM
suggestion, CHECK THE REAR OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! those diffs are EXTREAAAAAAAAAAAMLY hard to come by... i spent 6 months looking for one, and got LUCKY.. out of everything on that bike.... the rear should have the most attention... just make sure you use a quailty lube in there or you will see disaster..

great job on getting it running... and at least you can get the freggin oil drain plug out.. i cant get mine out.. and have to pump it out through the fill.. which is a serious PITA, but.... ill get it oneday.. and man what a blast in the snow.. the first gear is SUUUUUUUUUUPER low so you know.. and is great for getting around in the fluffy stuff

Jesse

Huffa
01-22-2005, 09:22 PM
10-4 on that. I'm sure it's in the maual what kind to use. Probably an 80-90 weight? I'll have to check & I'm sure it has never been changed!

atczack
01-22-2005, 09:25 PM
Cool man, glad to hear she fired up for you. I just learned to post pics, just save them to a file on your computer. Then type your message on the 3ww board and click 'go advanced' then 'manage attachments' then 'browse' and find your file with the pics in it. Click 'upload' close the file and submit your post and the pics will be on the bottom of your post. There is probably an easier way but I don't know it, I'm new to this computer stuff. :p

Quickonstep
01-22-2005, 09:29 PM
yea... this is how i do it... remove the bottom plug first, then remove the top plug.. let it all drain out.. i use klotz lower unit oil for boats... but you can use really any gear oil.. i use klotz because its such a great product and has accually saved me a few times.. anywho.. once it is all drained out, i put the fill in from the BOTTOM hole pump it in until i see it come out of the top hole, put the plug into the top hole, and then pump 3 or 4 more times on the little pump thingy i have and then pull the fill out of the bottom, and QUICKLY put the plug back in.. and i change it every 15 hours.. no if ands or buts about it!

Jesse

atckowalski
01-22-2005, 10:17 PM
You should also clean the air filter and airbox :)

Huffa
01-22-2005, 10:27 PM
Thanks QS for the procedure!

Now, what's the deal with you not being able to get the side drain plug out?

Is the nut all botched up or what?

Mine was and I just used a vice grips & it came right off. I do need another one though. Must of been a young kid not having or using the proper tool. :mad:

Did you get the motor really hot so it might help expand the metal threads by a fraction (.0000003 :D )? Either that or heat it up with a torch.

Huffa
01-22-2005, 10:32 PM
You should also clean the air filter and airbox :)

Clean the air filter. What air filter? It litterally fell apart in my hands! :D Had to be the stock one yet! :cry:

Huffa
01-22-2005, 10:34 PM
Cool man, glad to hear she fired up for you. I just learned to post pics, just save them to a file on your computer. Then type your message on the 3ww board and click 'go advanced' then 'manage attachments' then 'browse' and find your file with the pics in it. Click 'upload' close the file and submit your post and the pics will be on the bottom of your post. There is probably an easier way but I don't know it, I'm new to this computer stuff. :p

Thanks buddy! I'll give it a shot.

Quickonstep
01-22-2005, 10:39 PM
the plug is just stuck in there... i havent tried vice grips... was on a tight schedule the day i did it and havent messed with it since.. it might see 2 hours a week riding... maybe a little more with a couple 20-25 minute spurt rides every so often..

but then again, when i bought the bike, it was sitting outside with wood piled on top of it, the only problem i have ever had with it was i burnt the exhuast valve and had to replace that, and also the rear... every damn bolt on the thing is eaither rusted, corroded, seized, boogerd up, or somthin.. but its still a strong runner, and a blast to ride..... my neighbor had one once... when i had a honda 185s, and always wanted a tri moto, finally got one.. they are fun bikes, and are really really easy on the back when riding trails.. some people refer to them as the caddy of the trails due to there suspension..

Jesse

Huffa
01-22-2005, 11:27 PM
the plug is just stuck in there... i havent tried vice grips... was on a tight schedule the day i did it and havent messed with it since.. it might see 2 hours a week riding... maybe a little more with a couple 20-25 minute spurt rides every so often..

but then again, when i bought the bike, it was sitting outside with wood piled on top of it, the only problem i have ever had with it was i burnt the exhuast valve and had to replace that, and also the rear... every damn bolt on the thing is eaither rusted, corroded, seized, boogerd up, or somthin.. but its still a strong runner, and a blast to ride..... my neighbor had one once... when i had a honda 185s, and always wanted a tri moto, finally got one.. they are fun bikes, and are really really easy on the back when riding trails.. some people refer to them as the caddy of the trails due to there suspension..

Jesse

"caddy of the trails" ? Naah, I think that award should go to the 200X due to more travel and beefier forks. The 225 seems like it will be a better plonker (low end & slower speeds) though for dicking around on.

edog
02-03-2005, 10:33 PM
I got it (the whole 3 wheeler) for free just weeks ago. It sat out for years in the weather. Here is the story.

1) motor would not turn over ( by pull start) a bit - condensation siezier I would call it. "ROC"....rust on cylinder probably causing rings to stick

2) filled cylinder with PB Blaster and let set a day

3) came home, tried turning pull start (pull start assembly was off ) basket by a large screw driver.........it gave a very slight 1/8" movement, kept going back & fourth and finally an inch of movement

4) blasted a little more PBB with a bit of regular motor oil & tried again. 90 degrees of movement, then 180 then FINALLY a full turn!!!! Ya-HOO!!!

5) another 10-15 turns and it was turning great!

6) drained oil and a nightmare.......12 ozs of water or more comes pouring out 1st!!!!! No wonder it was way overfilled!!!!

7) cleaned both oil filters & put some fresh stuff in & while spinning the rear tire I checked the trans & all is fine. Gears seem to whirl nice & shifts like it should, shaft drive works too

8) took carb off ....... It's a disaster!!!!!! Worst carb I ever saw!!!!!!! Cleaned up nice though but need a few o-rings and bowl gasket so i figured I can't start it yet. :cry:

9) then it hit me! why not just spray a bit of carb cleaner in the intake tract and see if it will even try to start & that was with the carb AND header pipe off.

10) 1,2,3,4 pulls nothing & I wouldn't expect it to with all the oil in the cylinder. it came flying out of the exhaust port.

11) 5,6 and VAROOOOOOOMMMMM!!! She lit up and lit up well for 3 seconds!!! Tried it again & it started 2nd pull!!!!!

12) put in in gear (all tires are flat so it can't go far) gave it a pull and on the 1st pull she came to life and did a small wheelie as if it was saying " :Bounce Lets GO" :Bounce !!!!

13) so now I know the auto clutch works and it does move forward.

NO $$ spent at all yet and got her running!!! :beer Even the pull handle & rope I took off from my old Honda HR 21 mower (spare junk one) and that worked just fine.

I got tons of digital pics of my project on computer but don't know how to post them :rolleyes:You should have seen the inside of my carb.Thats all i had to buy to make it run.

LonesomeTriZ
02-03-2005, 10:47 PM
It sounds like we have a similar situation. My YTM sat beneath a tree for twelve yaers next to a chicken coupe with a missing valve cover and broken rocker. When I got it home we got it fired up even with the broken rocker. other than the valve cover it was one hundred percent cpmplete. But it needed a lot of TLC, I mean a LOT!. :(

edog
02-04-2005, 11:26 AM
Sounds like a real nice Trike.Hope you have it running for 30 more years.

LonesomeTriZ
02-04-2005, 11:31 AM
It is coming along quite nicely. I stripped it all the way down and started over. We were able to not only save the plastic, but the decals as well. Right now it is a rolling chasis with a complete bottom end. Even with the vavle cover missing the inside of the engien was perfect. it has come a long way. We are quite proud. :cool:

RacerRichie
02-04-2005, 11:39 AM
YTM225DX's ROCK.
NICE DEAL >>>>>>>FREE! :)

LonesomeTriZ
02-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Appaerntly killing one is pretty hard. Maybe the saying should say "you can't kill a YTM" ;)