PDA

View Full Version : Breaking the beads on tires... any clever methods?

Huffa
01-22-2005, 01:09 AM
I see there are bead breakers for 80 bucks or so but would like to know if there are other methods that are less costly (like free) to do.

bigredhead
01-22-2005, 01:13 AM
Utility Kknife !

Get a heavy duty one.. don't bother with the 2 $ cheapo combo packs.... get a good quality break away blade knive .. the type with 8 inch replacable blades with a new never used sharp blade.

slice them right off. cheap and quick !

MTS
01-22-2005, 01:15 AM
Utility Kknife !

Get a heavy duty one.. don't bother with the 2 $ cheapo combo packs.... get a good quality break away blade knive .. the type with 8 inch replacable blades with a new never used sharp blade.

thats fine, IF you dont want to ever use the tire again, 95% of the time it is eaiser to take it to a tire shop and have them break the bead, or take some canola oil mixed with gas(to thin it out) pouer it around the bead, then take a sledge hammer and hit the tire as close to the rim as you can faierly hard and this should break the bead. ;)

grundlegrabber
01-22-2005, 01:48 AM
There are special types of hammers used to break the beads, but more often than not you'll end up damaging the aluminum atv rims. Been down that road many times. I have the CMP $80 bead breaker which works well on 8 inch rims, but it rarely works on 9" aluminum Honda rims. I use a Coats 50-50 rim clamp machine, found in my buddy's tire shop. Works great every time and no damage to the rim. A good quality rubber lubricant (like Skid) and some prybars are all you need after that. Just remember, nothing in life is free, and more often than not, if you try to cheap out, you just end up costing yourself more money. You might be better off just taking it to a tire shop (commercial tire service or turf equipment service place).

83185s
01-22-2005, 01:49 AM
uh pry bar?? if u dont mind dingin trailprotrailpro rims alittle..

TimSr
01-22-2005, 02:26 AM
Utility Kknife !

Sounds good in theory, but every one I ever tried to cut off had steel belts in the bead. I thought they all did. Does anybody actually make an ATV tire that doesnt have them?

bonkers_200s
01-22-2005, 03:16 AM
As little as the damage may be, I wouldnt go dumping anything petroleum based on your tire bead, the damage may be minimal, and you may say I'm a bit radical, but gas, oil......anything petroleum based, is going to coagulate the rubber, not something you want too take effect when you're doing 60 down the road.

Dish soap does the same thing, it's cheaper, and it won't coagulate the rubber, drip it heavely around the bead, go away for 20 minutes-half hour, beat it till your arm hurts, I find a dead blow hammer works better than a rubber mallet.

It's pretty hard too put one on or off, easier too put one on usually. IMHO it's worth paying the guy at tire discount center 5 bucks, and a decent tip if he was fast about it.

MTS
01-22-2005, 03:35 AM
As little as the damage may be, I wouldnt go dumping anything petroleum based on your tire bead, the damage may be minimal, and you may say I'm a bit radical, but gas, oil......anything petroleum based, is going to coagulate the rubber, not something you want too take effect when you're doing 60 down the road.

Dish soap does the same thing, it's cheaper, and it won't coagulate the rubber, drip it heavely around the bead, go away for 20 minutes-half hour, beat it till your arm hurts, I find a dead blow hammer works better than a rubber mallet.

It's pretty hard too put one on or off, easier too put one on usually. IMHO it's worth paying the guy at tire discount center 5 bucks, and a decent tip if he was fast about it.
yea uhuh, petrolium based lubricant is gona harm the tire, RIIIIIGHT, my dad has been doin this for 20+ years, works great,usin dish soap you have to wait for it to sink in for a half hour what ever too, this stuff is just a CANOLA based oil with some gas in it to thin it out, it as for usein a big hammer, it is a little hasty if you havent dont it befor and you prolly will ding your rim....but i have used it lots with no problems, :beer but in yourcase it problem is just easier as mentiond to bring it to the tire shop and the guy can have it off in 2 mins... ;) :cool:

Huffa
01-22-2005, 07:00 AM
Sounds good in theory, but every one I ever tried to cut off had steel belts in the bead. I thought they all did. Does anybody actually make an ATV tire that doesnt have them?

I thought the same too.

I did actually cut one off one time and it had the steel at the bead portion but being incased in the rubber, I did not see it at 1st. No wonder the blade stopped slicing! Took me 20 minutes per side with all kinds of tools to get it off.

Not worth the hassle.

Huffa
01-22-2005, 07:09 AM
Always took them to the tire shop down the road with them charging me a 7.50 fee for each one or if the guy is in a bad mood that day it would be $10. Always works better when I send my wife. It's always cheaper then, because she knows them from the line of work she does or did at one time.

I just figured there might be someone on here that made their own device some how.

I'll probably end up taking it there again.

ClayW
01-22-2005, 08:06 AM
Pay the money and be done with it. It is a pain in the butt. A lot of bead breakers wont break them. I just let the tire shop break the bead. A lot less trouble. I know it sucks, but its often the only way. :beer

svo58
01-22-2005, 08:13 AM
I used the front tire of my bronco (it works with a car too),if its a steel rim run over the ATC tire with the front tire (have someone looking so you don't hit the rim,just the tire) run the tire over and it brakes the beed,if it is hard to brake ,stop on the tire and jump on it to brake it or use a lump hammer and beat the tire ,this allways worked for me,I do it on golf cart tires and they are small never wrecked a rim,and my 9" honda rims with 25-12-9 tires works like a charm.Good luck .........svo58

dogger
01-22-2005, 09:04 AM
actually if ya need it don't give it to me. all I have to do is stick it on the rear of my 350x and they never seem to stay on.

Howdy
01-22-2005, 10:48 AM
actually if ya need it don't give it to me. all I have to do is stick it on the rear of my 350x and they never seem to stay on.

Well tighten the bolts dummy. lmao j/k buddy.
BTw, did Holic ever send you a set of suspenders? rotflmao
Howdy

thefox
01-22-2005, 11:19 AM
I use a $40 tire changer from Harbor Frieght Tools or Northern Tools (they both have it). I have been using it for the last few years and have taken off probably about 20 or so tires with it, the only thing easier would be to pay someone else to do it. The last time I used it I removed 3 tires in about an hour. It's not a high quality tool though, the center post bent the first time it was used but it still works fine.
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/13473_lg.gif

Derrick Adams
01-22-2005, 11:52 AM
I used the front tire of my bronco (it works with a car too),if its a steel rim run over the ATC tire with the front tire (have someone looking so you don't hit the rim,just the tire) run the tire over and it brakes the beed,if it is hard to brake ,stop on the tire and jump on it to brake it or use a lump hammer and beat the tire ,this allways worked for me,I do it on golf cart tires and they are small never wrecked a rim,and my 9" honda rims with 25-12-9 tires works like a charm.Good luck .........svo58

This method works for me as well. About 70% of the time.

I look out the window and just turn the front wheel right around the bead and it usually rolls it right off. DON'T run over your rim! Just the tire!

sandrooster
01-22-2005, 12:07 PM
The quickest and free way was mentioned by svo.

Starting with the wheel lying flat on the ground with no air.
I stand on the tire holding the fender as my friend drives his mini pu forward over the tire (slowly). As the tire is pulled down some, I spray WD40. He backs off the tire so I can rotate it about a third. As he drives on to the tire again, he steers to follow along the rim. The bead usually gives way after the third run.

Also, place the wheel on plywood to protect the rim.

bonkers_200s
01-22-2005, 12:27 PM
yea uhuh, petrolium based lubricant is gona harm the tire, RIIIIIGHT, my dad has been doin this for 20+ years, works great,usin dish soap you have to wait for it to sink in for a half hour what ever too, this stuff is just a CANOLA based oil with gas in it to thin it out, it as for usein a big hammer, it is a little hasty if you havent dont it befor and you prolly will ding your rim....but i have used it lots with no problems, :beer but in yourcase it problem is just easier as mentiond to bring it to the tire shop and the guy can have it off in 2 mins... ;) :cool:

Ok run spell check, and go look up the propertys of petroluem substances, they will coagulate rubber and plastics,I'm not saying daddy hasn't been doing for 20+ years, I was just stating facts, yes petroleum based products I.E. *gas* will cause damage, to rubber if you see it or not. May take a year, may take a month, so you are 100% correct when you say" RIIIIIGHT"

No one said use a "big" hammer, I said use a "dead blow" hammer, which isn't hasty at all, unless of course you go get the biggest dead blow hammer you can find, but the tool is only as good as the hand that holds it.

http://img76.exs.cx/img76/2021/pwn3xe.jpg

4cylinders
01-22-2005, 03:29 PM
hey, used james luckys bead breaker, truck tire slide hammer. worked every time.

3 weelin geezer
01-22-2005, 04:31 PM
Has anyone tried using the hillbilly method of using 2 pieces of 2x4 under your truck? Kinda like this gadget in the picture?

bigredhead
01-22-2005, 05:05 PM
oh man... sorry about the reply last night.. i read the subject and the post, and had a mental picture of him asking how to trim the thread from the tire.. not break the bead of the rim ....

lesson : Don't try to help when drunk ! LOL..

Sorry guys !

Curtis-Tecate3
01-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Here is what I used to use before I acquired a bead breaker. I used to use an old bumper jack from any mid 70's American car or truck. You know the one with the big square base. I would simply put the edge of the base as close to the rim as possible and then slowly start to jack up a car or truck. Dont go wild with lifting the car off the ground or anything. If it doesnt pop on the first shot then let the pressure off of the jack, rotate the tire a bit and go again. It has always worked for me.

Curtis.

ATC crazy
01-22-2005, 10:20 PM
Here is what I used to use before I acquired a bead breaker. I used to use an old bumper jack from any mid 70's American car or truck. You know the one with the big square base. I would simply put the edge of the base as close to the rim as possible and then slowly start to jack up a car or truck. Dont go wild with lifting the car off the ground or anything. If it doesnt pop on the first shot then let the pressure off of the jack, rotate the tire a bit and go again. It has always worked for me.

Curtis.

Yup, I've used this meathod a couple of times. Also, running the tire over with a truck and a 2x4 board works fairly well too.

*BUT*

If you are trying to remove stock tires...be warned! They are glued onto the wheels, and just about any method will NOT work. We've tried everything in the "book" AND we've even taken them to a shop. They got the rear tires off but couldnt get the fronts off with either of their 3 machines. So we took them home and cut the beads off with a drill and cutting blade. :cool:

3 weelin geezer
01-23-2005, 03:36 AM
I dunno 'bout that bigred. I have many a times tried getting drunk when help and it didn't work. Hell, I'm still sober. I still think the 2x4 method is cheaper, faster and you don't wear yourself out jacking up the truck but I suppose it works IF you don't have any 2x4's laying around.

New2ATC
01-23-2005, 03:55 AM
i have a lawn mower shop right next door.. they are great about letting me use tools and such.. and when i had my minibike, we could not get the tire off... a sawzall worked the best!

NOS_350X
01-23-2005, 04:24 AM
I use a $40 tire changer from Harbor Frieght Tools or Northern Tools (they both have it). I have been using it for the last few years and have taken off probably about 20 or so tires with it, the only thing easier would be to pay someone else to do it. The last time I used it I removed 3 tires in about an hour. It's not a high quality tool though, the center post bent the first time it was used but it still works fine.
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/13473_lg.gif

I couldnt agree with you more. I have one and all but 1 set i was able to get. The ones that i couldnt get where original tires on a 350x. I have gotten my money back and some with that bead braker, and it works good for taking them off the rim also.