PDA

View Full Version : brand new cam and bearing with 1 hour on it

kilabeez0
01-21-2005, 11:18 PM
cam is basically frozen onto the end. i mean it can spin freely on its own, but it wont pull off. WTF??? everything is rebuilt, cleaned, etc. and i'm using a different bottom end. i understand bearings freeze on the ends because of low oil, but if i'm using a different, clean oil pump, why would this happen? how can the oil passage be cleaned?

~~~on that note, i've never really understood what the tiny BB looking thing at the top of the oil passage in the head is for?

HaggLE
01-22-2005, 01:09 AM
When you rebuild an engine you must always take a rocker cover off whilst the engine is running (those things you take off to adjust the rocker clearance). Oil should spray out. If it doesnt and all you can see is the rocker arm going up and down then shut it off becaise you have no oil feed to the top. This is very good practise after you have had the head off.

Use compressed air to blow through the oil way. Also its a good idea to prime the oil pump before you reasssemble a motor.

MTS
01-22-2005, 01:12 AM
Use compressed air to blow through the oil way. Also its a good idea to prime the oil pump before you reasssemble a motor.
in other words, take the spark plug out and pull the motor over a ton untill you can see oil in the rocker cover ;)

HaggLE
01-22-2005, 01:15 AM
Thats the hard way.

Howdy
01-22-2005, 05:28 AM
Did you use any silicon on the base gasket for the top end? Did you have the clutch cover off and use silicon on that gasket?
Howdy

kilabeez0
01-22-2005, 09:08 AM
no silicone. i used a tiny bit to try and patch a cylinder head gasket but that was only ran for about 15 minutes and then i pulled it apart to fix it correctly and all the silicone was still there.

kilabeez0
01-22-2005, 09:09 AM
Thats the hard way.

so whats the easy way? letting it run and taking the cover off?

OldSchoolin86
01-22-2005, 05:04 PM
so whats the easy way? letting it run and taking the cover off?
Take the inspection covers off then start it, you'll know right away with out kiling it.

kilabeez0
01-22-2005, 09:50 PM
i never put that molybdenum grease on the cam if that makes any difference.

jeswinehart
01-22-2005, 10:25 PM
i have never used that molly grease ,,, so i don't think that would be it kilabeezO.

john