PDA

View Full Version : Damn silencer fell out of exhaust...

1985_250_ATC
01-21-2005, 06:06 PM
So, I was letting my 200X warm up while I put on my helmet and gloves, I get ready to go on, pump the throttle a couple times to see if its all good, it was good, until the 3rd pump, RPMs go nice and high, and boom, the freaking silencer just slides out the back of the exhaust...at first I was like WTF is that, then I take a look at the exhaust and notice its 100X louder then it was previously, so I kinda figured it was the silencer...In my opinion its to loud to ride, I can handle it, but all my neighbors would complain thats for sure...if your standing beside it, with not even half throttle, your ears will be ringing for the rest of the night...far to loud to ride...although, I did notice its a little bit quicker off the line :p ...What should I do now? Get a new exhaust or repair this current one, mind you this one here is full of exhaust sut (or soot) and seems relativley easy to repair...I beleive the previous owner put this exhaust on a couple years ago,

So...Repair or buy new one?

Some pics of the silencer

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Jeep_Man/ja21005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Jeep_Man/ja21002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Jeep_Man/ja21001.jpg

:TrikesOwn ,,,until the silencer falls out and its to loud to ride, safely :p

Xowner
01-21-2005, 06:13 PM
clean it put it back in and get some metal screws and screw it back in or you could drill and pop rivit it etheir way is good but dont ride it too long without the back pressure you might melt something ;)

1985_250_ATC
01-21-2005, 06:28 PM
So its ok to just put it back in? theres nothing else to it? jsut put it in a re secure it? sounds easy enough...thanks

BigGreenMachine
01-21-2005, 06:32 PM
A couple self tapping sheet metal screws should handle that fine.

jenndnn3
01-21-2005, 06:34 PM
Is that a Cobra? Hey dont forget the stuffing..

dirtface
01-21-2005, 06:40 PM
Jenns right that is a cobra, it should be repacked before being put back in.

HaggLE
01-21-2005, 06:53 PM
clean it put it back in and get some metal screws and screw it back in or you could drill and pop rivit it etheir way is good but dont ride it too long without the back pressure you might melt something ;)

4 strokes dont need back pressure like 2 strokes. look at drag cars, they run just a piece of pipe. It wont affect the engine if you dont have it.

bonkers_200s
01-21-2005, 07:45 PM
I dunno a friend of mine had a 200x, he put a new pipe on on it and after riding a bit it fell off , and he kept riding it a bit, and it blew it up??:(

conig
01-21-2005, 07:45 PM
no machine needs back pressure. they need exhaust velocity to build torque and to get the spent gasses out of the motor. the easiest way to get velocity is to add back pressure ( think of a garden hose with a pressure nozzle).

if velocity is too low the valves will burn, you will also loose torque. since the system he has should have a headpipe designed to work with packing I would say its best to run it with the muffler core.

as for the drag car theory, alot of drag motors get rebuilt mid season and much more then a 20 year old trike. also the headers you see are equal length and designed for that motor. There not 50,000 dollar versions of the motor in another truck or car for nothing.

alos keep in mind many run exotic fuels, some run cooler then what is out of the pump.

raptor
01-21-2005, 09:19 PM
does the exhaust pop or backfire now the silencer has come out?

had a bike before and took the silencer out and it was sluggish and popping

HaggLE
01-21-2005, 10:54 PM
Look at this picture. It has only a header pipe. No muffler at all. These racers hardly ever rebuild their bikes. This is one of the quicker ones out there. Similar motor as a 200x just using a CB125 crank and a shortened cylinder. As long as you have a pipe on there it will take the heat away from the exhaust valve.

1985_250_ATC
01-21-2005, 11:18 PM
does the exhaust pop or backfire now the silencer has come out?

had a bike before and took the silencer out and it was sluggish and popping

Actually no, The exhaust would backfire and pop with the silencer in, now it doesnt do it anymore...and what does evreybody mean by re-stuffing it? stuff it with what? Hopefully its nothing to complex that needs to be ordered, I WANNA RIDE TOMORROW!...

TimSr
01-21-2005, 11:18 PM
It will run a lot leaner without any restriction in the pipe, and that is the cause of heat problems and meltdown.

jeswinehart
01-22-2005, 12:24 AM
any time i ever tried to take out a baffle to burn it off ( or de-carbon ) it was a real pita. and you get so lucky to just pop yours out.

hmmmm ,,,

john

1985_250_ATC
01-22-2005, 12:50 AM
haha, i didnt even want it to fall out,,,maybe you should just give me your trike for a couple of weeks, ride it like i do, and it will come out ;) ...anyways, back on topic,,,what is the re-stuffing?

83185s
01-22-2005, 02:30 AM
u buy muffler packing and re pack it..or stuff it back into the muffler with that core...5:1 ot was backfiring cause that core is so dirty and clogged

New2ATC
01-22-2005, 03:23 AM
i agree.. re pack it with something like this http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=448759&store=Main&productId=p448759&catId=1&leafCatId=10903 and you should be good..

1985_250_ATC
01-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Ok, Iwill order that stuff, but how do I do it? just wrap the silencer in that material?...and damn, im pissed that I cant go riding today on such a nice snowy day :(