PDA

View Full Version : When restoring a bike how do you......

Big_Red_Ryder
01-21-2005, 04:44 PM
When restoring a trike how do you guys clean the parts??? I'm rebuilding the rear end to my 250es because I blew some seals and alot of the parts are covered in gunk (mixture of mud, water, grease, and oil).

Someone once mentioned that soaking the parts in diesel would do the trick. Has anyone ever tried that? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

kando
01-21-2005, 04:49 PM
cleaning with diesel will work, varsol is much safer less flamable

Dan Tenn
01-21-2005, 04:59 PM
you can get a very inexpensive bench-top parts washers for less than $60(I think there are $40 ones too). Really good investment if you do lots of cleaning. Otherwise I've always used brake parts cleaner.

bigredhead
01-21-2005, 05:03 PM
Walmart.. 3 BIG cans of WD-40 !!
works better as a cleaner than a lubricant !! LOL..

you can even buy the gallon jugs of the stuff !!

or buy " Gunk ".... but that's expensive i beleive !

BIGCRIP28
01-21-2005, 05:10 PM
i use gas...
just watch out for sparks and flames

bigredhead
01-21-2005, 05:12 PM
oh.. and the Diesel being MORE flamable than varsol comment...???? uhm... i don't think so !

Darius1502
01-21-2005, 06:00 PM
I clean them with WD 40 and/or gas. Once they are clean I may sand them a bit to clean off rust. Its not that hard really.

BigGreenMachine
01-21-2005, 06:41 PM
Pressure washer should do the trick.

Orangecnty250r
01-21-2005, 06:48 PM
WD 40 ,soft plastic scraper, and alot of old rags.

CHAINSAW
01-21-2005, 07:14 PM
Hot soapy water works for cleaning everything, and wont damage anything. Like 120-130 degrees works great.

HRC1
01-21-2005, 07:25 PM
Take your parts to the local car wash and use the high pressure washer, if there is still some gunk left use a dish brush and dish soap or any degreaser, auto, superclean, orange, or brakecleaner, or WD-40. I wouldnt use gas, it eats paint, stinks, and is too flamable. Use your imagination.

ClayW
01-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Spay some degreaser on it and scrub it down with a wire brush. Then I like using carb cleaner to spray all the crap off. This is what I did on the rear differential on a old bike I had. THen I split the case and washed the insides out with carb cleaner real good. THe carb cleaner instantly washes all the left over oily nasty crap right off and makes the water dissapate. Starter fluid will also do it. Cheap way of doin it.

bigredhead
01-21-2005, 11:08 PM
A word of caution on the starter fluid .. usually Ether, don't inhale it !

EXTREEMELY flamable !

atcmatt
01-22-2005, 01:03 AM
Sandblast it and repaint it. It is the best way to make it look new again.

Matt

slippy4
01-22-2005, 01:20 AM
what i found that works really good, is take mineral spirts(or some sort of paint thinner) take a scrub brush, i used a toothbrush or you can buy the brushes that look like toothbrushes, scrub it down with the brush and mineral spirits, the gunk should just turn to a liquid runny mess, then take dawn dish soap, rub it all over using your hands or the brush, then rinse it off in a sink or some sort of water source. this is the only way i found that is fast and efficiant in cleaning everything. i cleaned every single part for my tri-z this way in a few hours, with taking breaks.

grundlegrabber
01-22-2005, 01:41 AM
I use Castrol super clean and a pressure washer. Super clean is available at Wal Mart. Spray it on, let it sit 5 min or so, then pressure wash the area (if you don't have a pressure washer, the do-it-yourself carwash works just as well). Just don't let the stuff sit on there too long. Pro Honda cleaner/polish works well to shine u the parts after they have been degreased.

SWRToad
01-22-2005, 03:02 AM
This may sound funny, but do you know what I use, RC Car (HPI Car Cleaner). The best trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro I have found for cleaning (small) parts yet.

BTW, Here is a quick snap of my latest restore. :beer

http://www.sandwizards.com/Pictures/4r.jpg

New2ATC
01-22-2005, 03:11 AM
nice R so far.. I might have to use some of these tips when i buy and get to the YZ.. And my bayou too.. another thing.. which I have not tried as of yet.. but how pressurised is the MR.CLEAN auto dry car wash.. i dont mean the soap and crap.. just the nozzle.. is it like a regular hose tip, or what??