PDA

View Full Version : Front Fork Questions

Derrick Adams
01-21-2005, 11:53 AM
I have the forks off the Z and I noticed one is softer than the other one. I know the seals are good and nothing leaks so i'm wondering if I need to change my valve core and add air.

How much air should they hold?

Also, One of my valve stems is a little buggered up, I checked Bike Bandit and they appear to be discontinued. Any Idea where I could get a replacement stem/cap for it?

I need to order some stuff from Dennis Kirk anyhow, and figured I may as well get the progressive springs for the forks. Will they have to be rebuilt then, or can the cycle shop just change the springs and oil?

Can you change the weight of the oil for different performance?

Ok, I think that's it.

asc180
01-21-2005, 12:47 PM
About 1-5 psi is a good safe number. If you change the oil weight it will affect it. What year are the off of? I have 85 forks with good caps. I will give you one if you need it.

Adam

Derrick Adams
01-21-2005, 12:50 PM
It's an 85.

asc180
01-21-2005, 01:23 PM
give me your address and I will send it through the mail.

Adam

Mr. Sandman
01-21-2005, 01:25 PM
If you have access to a metal lathe (drilling by hand works too, you just have to be more accurate), you can drill the entire stem out. Once the stem is out, pick up a new metal stem from an auto parts or tire store and you can put it into the cap the same way it is put on a wheel. I did this on my R and it works great for a fraction of the cost of a new cap.

Derrick Adams
01-21-2005, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the tip! Can't beat free, though!

Adam, I pm'ed you.

Thanks!!!